HEALTHY RECIPES

Options
mudypupy
mudypupy Posts: 52 Member
Sun 05/27/12 05:39 PM
egg muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)

Preheat oven to 375 F.
...spray bottom of 12 cup muffin tin...even if using silicone spray it!

>12 eggs (You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.)
seasonings of choice, (i like fresh chopped garlic, salt and pepper)
>1 cup grated low fat cheese (I like motzerella)
>chopped veggies such as onion, chopped tomato, blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.
Optional: 1 cup diced Canadian bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage

...In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, cheese. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full of veggies, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients.
...Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add seasonings, and beat well. Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set. 25-35 min.

carefully remove and package muffins for later use. 2 per bag. will keep up to a week in fridge or round 3 months in freezer. reheat 45 seconds if thawed to two min if frozen.

1 muffin: 89 calories, 6g fat, 120mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate, .16g fiber, 7.5g protein

Replies

• mudypupy
    Options
    zucchini cakes....
    Each scrumptious morsel is totally satisfying and packed with vitamin-rich zucchini, yet strikingly low in calories, carbs, and fat.
    great snack or lunch along with a protein... maybe cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg or put a bit of lean ham or turkey diced in the mix along side a fruit

each cake ...63 calories, 1.1 grams sugar, 2.1 grams fat, 7.6 grams carbohydrates, 3.6 grams protein

Ingredients:
    1 large zucchini, grated
    1 large egg
    1 c. panko bread crumbs
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp. Adobo spices
    1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:
    Remove excess liquid from freshly grated zucchini by placing them between paper towels and squeezing. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Heat a large pan on medium, and spray with Pam. Shape spoonfuls of the zucchini batter into 2-in. (diameter) patties, and drop onto the sizzling pan. Cook each side for about a minute to three, or until the outside is golden brown and not firm to touch.
  • mudypupy
    Options
    the following is a great snack or breakfast on the go idea to put into your little baggies...do not have to refrigerate
    these have saved a dragging afternoon snack attack many timesglasses

homemade energy bars
    Ingredients

1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
    1/4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
    14 cup flax seeds, ground
    1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
    1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup powdered nonfat dry milk
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    .........................................................................mix all the above till blended

1/3 cup agave nectar or honey
    1/2 cup egg whites (i use egg beaters)
    1 tsp vanilla
    .......................................................................blend till smooth....then add to above mix and blend till well mixed

1/2 cup dried apricots chopped little
    1/2 cup raw almonds chopped little
    1/2 cup dried cherries chopped little
    1/2 cup pitted dried dates chopped little
    ...............................................................................add to above mixtures and stri till well mixed
    put all into a greased 13" x 9" pan and bake at 350 degrees
    Bake until just done, about 20 minutes. Cut into 20 squares.

package two squares per baggie and store

i use little chopper to chop all the nuts and fruits into little bits.... (unless you like chopping all that by hand)
    >do them separately or you will have a mixture of them all and thats a diff recipe i will talk about below...*

**Place all ingredients except the agave nectar and egg whites in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped and very well mixed... follow remaining directions and you will have the consistency of a protein bar instead of a granola bar.

for two bars........
    Calories: 210.4
    Total Fat: 2.1 g
    Cholesterol: 0.9 mg
    Sodium: 60.0 mg
    Total Carbs: 23.9 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.6 g
    Protein: 7.6 g
  • mudypupy
    Options
    HOMEMADE VEGGIE BURGERS

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    1 cup corn well drained
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    2 egg
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
    1/2 cup bread crumbs...wheat if you can find them ... or panko

Directions

If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil.
    If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.

> In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    > In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
    > In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
    > Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.

> If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side.
    If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

Calories: 198 | Total Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 53mg

this makes 4 patties ...nutrition is for one patty... i eat these on a bed of romain lettuce or spring greens and tomatoes with a bit of mustard (i LOVE mustard)
  • flakayo2013
    Options
    hello new in this...thanks for the recipes
  • nstratton_1
    nstratton_1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you discovered buffalo meat? Very lean, great taste. Although cooking techniques are like beef, it needs to be cooked slower and for shorter amounts of time.

My favorite buffalo burger so far:
    Mix 2 Tbsp. Walden Farms Sugar Free Spicy BBQ sauce into 1 pound of ground buffalo.
    Form meat into 2 - 8 oz. patties (each patty is 1 serving).
    Bake in a 450 degree Toaster Oven for 15 minutes.
    Remove and let "rest" for a minute or two.

Can also be broiled, grilled, "George-Formaned", etc. just like any other hamburger. But, remember to cook it a bit rarer than you are used to cooking beef.

Other ideas: replace BBQ Sauce with - Prepared mustard of your choice; or, Worchestershire sauce; or, green chile salsa; or chopped chipolte chilis in adobo sauce...etc.

1 cooked 8 oz patty (about 7 oz. cooked) is: 286 calories, Fat 16.4g, Cholesterol 75 mg; Sodium 90 mg; Carbs 0g; Protein 30g

For Comparison purposes:

3 oz ground buffalo is 143 calories; Fat 8.2g; Carbs 0g; Protein 15g
    3 oz 95/5 ground beef is 151 calories; Fat 6.2g; Carbs 0g; Protein 22.3g
    3 oz ground chicken is 130 calories; Fat 9g; Carbs 0g; Protein 22g
    3 oz ground turkey breast (extra lean) is 90 calories; Fat 0.8g; Carbs 0g; Protein 21g
  • mudypupy
    Options
    OMG I LOVE BUFFALO MEAT!!!!!!
  • phoenix3050
    Options
    My favorite recipe. I hope I figured the calories right. It's a great way to get in lots of veggies.

You could make this lower calorie if you wanted, just watch the butter, potatoes, and cream.

Creamy Vegetable Soup
    Yield: 6 servings (about 250 calories a bowl)

2 tbsp butter
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    1 leeks, chopped
    4 cups water
    2 large carrots, chopped
    2 medium potatoes, chopped
    1 can cut asparagus, do not drain (or fresh about 5 stalks)
    1 bunch spinach, chopped, remove stem pieces
    1 cup cream
    Salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in large soup pot. Add chopped onion and leeks. Cook at medium temperature until onions are tender.
    (If you are unfamiliar with leeks, cut leeks length wise and then rinse. This makes it easier to remove dirt between layers. Use both green and white parts of the leek. Remove roots.)
    2. Add water, carrots, potatoes, asparagus to soup. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 30 minutes until carrots and potatoes are tender.
    3. Add spinach and cream, cover and allow to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
    4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • mudypupy
    Options
    one way to cut calories and a ton of fat in that soup is to use powdered creamer insteaad of cream... few spoon fulls and it gets same rich taste. also using red or yellow taters is healthier and hold up real well in a soup
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for recipes. Bump to copy.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try turkey burgers but hear they are tasteless and dry. Any suggestions? I'm scared to buy the prepared kind. I will Not eat buffalo!