Advice, please!

pbajwally
pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
It has been almost a week since starting this method of eating. For the most part I think I am doing alright - albeit this weekend I was over calories & fat, but I didn't do my normal exercise routine. I workout M-F and rest the weekends.

What worries me is: I have massive burns. Today, for example, I did an hour on the Automated Motion Trainer & another 35 minutes strength training. My total burn was 916 calories (per my HRM). My TDEE - 15% cut is 1884. My BMR is 1568. Even with all that I have eaten today, including pre-planning my dinner & two snacks - I'm still short 300 some calories JUST TO NET MY BMR while still trying to stay under in fat, etc.

I am having a really hard time trying to eat all that back and I'm supposed to actually be eating to 1884! Am I doing this wrong? I don't want to change my workout routine... my trainer wants me doing cardio 5x week for 45-60 min and strength training 2-3x week. How on earth am I supposed to eat all this back and still maintain my macros. I have upped my carbs/protein/fat to 40/30/30... I welcome any & all advice because I really REALLY want this to work! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Eat calorie dense foods. A tall glass of milk or a large handfull of nuts will get you around 300 calories. Or, you could do less activity.

This is assuming that the number you're getting from you HRM is correct.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Your TDEE - 15% takes into account exercise. You DO NOT have to eat back all those calories (took me too long to learn that) What you do need to do is at least NET your BMR. So yea eat those 300 cals but you don't have to eat back the 900+ exercise calories.

Since your burns are so high maybe you put in too low of an activity level? That might help a bit. And peanut butter...and olive oil. Not filling but have the calories you need.

*crosses fingers and hopes I'm right*
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Yep on high burn days, just make sure you net at least your BMR.

UponThisRock is right. Grab a handful of nuts, power those down and problem solved. Or some avacado.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    You mentioned you are trying to net BMR not eat all of the calories back so that is a good thing!

I'm wondering if you have the wrong activity level set if you are always having to eat back exercise calories though??

And I agree with having a handful of nuts. Those calories add up fast.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Also, if you are continually netting under BMR, perhaps your activity level is set too low and those calories could be spread throughout the week a little better?
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Evening! I'm going to jump in with one additional suggestion. You've had some great responses.

You've upped calories to TDEE -15% .... And you work out 5 days a week. How intensely each day , what kind of exercise?

My first thoughts were: your TDEE may not be calculated to account for that activity level. And .., that may actually be too much exercise. Too much can be counterproductive.

If your TDEE is calculated accurately for your activity, you do not need to eat back exercise calories ...is accounted for in your TDEE.

Consistency is important . You are on the right track and asking questions to course correct is excellent !
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    OK, well I've been thinking about it all night & here is what it is: once I input my exercise & it jumps the numbers way up - I need to literally ignore the exercise number & focus on my net alone (1884)... because if I do my exercise & don't put it in, my numbers don't change. It's still 1884.

I don't know why this seems like such a problem to me. I have no desire to eat back any additional exercise cals because I know it's already figured in my TDEE... I don't think I'm over exercising for the amount of weight I need to lose & it's per the instruction of my trainer.

Should I even calculate my strength training? Because otherwise, I would just be inputting cardio... albeit, my cardio today was pretty high (657 cals/hour). But with the strength training (259) bumped it up to 916. How accurate is strength training with a HRM, anyway? My average hour of cardio is between 400-600 each day (5 days/week). I did figure all that in when getting my TDEE.

Thanks for all the input so far! I appreciate it!