Need help with activity level definition

Options
Hi guys! I'm trying to calculate my TDEE more accurately, but I don't know what activity multiplier I should choose because I find it hard to draw the line between work activity and "working out". For example, right now I'm working a summer job at a farm and I spend a good amount of time being outside, walking, bending over, etc. What should that qualify as?

Last week went something like this:
- Tuesday: Lots of standing, light walking, about 1 hour of hoeing
- Wednesday: 2 hours of hoeing in the morning, maybe some standing
- Thursday: 4 hours of outside work involving bending over, walking (was thinning corn plants and putting in stakes)
- Friday: 4 hours of pepper planting
- Saturday: Shopping and trying on clothes (2 hours)
- Sunday: Grocery shopping, clothes shopping, and a 40-minute walk around the neighborhood

If it helps, I'm 5'5" 170lbs and have a sedentary TDEE of 2080 calories. My goal weight is 145lbs. I've recently come to the realization that my weight loss should be slowing and I'm fine with being patient. :)

Replies

• Morgandobes
    Morgandobes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would go with lightly active to be on the safe side...
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Greetings!! .it's so important to get TDEE calculated correctly, and of course, activity level is that "elusive" component. Typically, we tend to underestimate our activity.

I like the calculator at www.scoobysworkshop.com. It allows for choosing activity level by # of hours per week of activity. I'd use active work and workouts primarily ...not grocery shopping, incidental walking and trying on clothes in my calculations. Those don't normally elevate heart rate , nor are they sustained.

Based on description of your farm work last week ...if that is typical .. I'd calculate as moderate. Light is 3 -5 hours per week if I recall correctly. You r more active than that. Head over to scooby's calculator nd plug in your numbers.

Great attitude ...
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I would also go with moderate.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help!