Ratio of fat/protein

Options
Sandown54
Sandown54 Posts: 7 Member
I am new to this site and was wondering what ratio of fat to protein you aim for.

I am trying to keep my carbs as low as possible and want to eat more fat than protein. But I am not sure what the numbers should look like

Anyone help please?

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Sandown54, I set my goals at 10% Carb, 45% Protein, 45% Fat.. But I don't worry to much about it. My calorie goal is 1760 so that works out to 44C 198P 88F . I'm often under my calorie goal and I try to make sure my Protein is at least 100g. on those days for my currently over 200lb body.
    I also try to get at least 20-30g of fiber so for carbs I subtract out fiber (real fiber not what I consider as phony "dreamfields pasta" fiber, jmho)

I'm doing LCHF and Fast-5, most of my carbs come from veggies.
  • Sandown54
    Sandown54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks LowcarbNY.

I am trying to keep my carbs below 30 and my protein and fat below 150. I have read that this is necessary for ketosis.

I am following the Harcombe Diet in UK which is all about eating natural, unprocessed food and keeping fats and carbs separate to manage insulin. You don't need to count anything but I wanted a kick-start! My only carbs are from veggies.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have no problem being in the state of ketosis on LCHF/Fast-5. I just got some test strips yesterday and tested and they were dark dark dark as dark as they ever were on my most intense workout day when I did Atkins. But I didn't need the test strip to know that (but I wanted to see just the same) . I can smell them on my sweat. (sorry to gross you out) . But really, I've taken to carrying a small tin of Sugar Free Altoids Smalls along with me. They are really powerful and each mint only weighs 0.2g so they can't have much carb in them.

Many of the Blogs I've read suggest 0.7 - 1.0 grams of Protein per lb of body lean body weight.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Fat: 60%, protein 30%, carbs 10%.