What to eat on a Airplane trip

I am leaving for Jamaica on the 21st. YAY ME!!

Problem is, I am waking up at 2am and not arriving until @2pm. What the heck do I pack in my purse to eat that will last for 12 hours worth of food???

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Consider eating at the airport as well. Eat a good breakfast with oatmeal and some protein to keep you full longer. Some ideas to take with you:

Pumpkin protein muffins (search forums for recipe)
    String cheese (eat it first)
    Protein bar (I like Cliff Builder bars in chocolate peanut butter)
    Sunny Cranberry trail mix packs (Archer farms brand found at Target)
    Apple with peanut butter
    English muffin with peanut butter
    Drink lots of water!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Those Biscoff cookies that give out. nom, nom, nom.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member

Problem is, I am waking up at 2am and not arriving until @2pm. What the heck do I pack in my purse to eat that will last for 12 hours worth of food???

I usually grab a burger and a salad before the flight at the airport...and a couple shots of Captain to get me going.

If you are going through Miama, dont forget to have a Cuban Sammich!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    In reality I pack a boat load of Cliff bars
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Where are you located that a flight to Jamaica is 12 hours long?

Are they not feeding you on the plane?
  • Susan923
    Susan923 Posts: 61
    Thanks for the advice so far.

Our plane leaves at 5am so I am assuming that I will not find many food options open.
  • Susan923
    Keep the ideas coming!:smile:
  • Susan923

I usually grab a burger and a salad before the flight at the airport...and a couple shots of Captain to get me going.

If you are going through Miama, dont forget to have a Cuban Sammich!

I am liking this idea!!
  • Susan923

We are an hour and a half away from the airport so by the time we leave the house, get to the airport, through securtiy ect. The plane leaves at @5 something am. We arrive at the Montego Bay airport at 10am but again, getting through the airport, driving the hour and a half to the resort ect I am guessing its going to be about 1 or 2pm before I will be able to be able to get a decent meal.

It sucks because the actually "in the air" time is only 4 hours so no meal on the plane. Traveling from BWI.
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm currently in love with Kind bars. I pack those and the Planters NUT-trition mixes in single serving snack bags, Brothers freeze dried Fuji apples, Milk Duds or Hot Tamales (these are my vice) and always the largest bottle of water I can buy at the airport. I try to eat boiled eggs and toast before leaving for the airport to keep me somewhat satisfied. I do think my body knows when it's going on a trip because nothing ever seems to keep me satisfied.

Have a super great time on your trip!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member

We are an hour and a half away from the airport so by the time we leave the house, get to the airport, through securtiy ect. The plane leaves at @5 something am. We arrive at the Montego Bay airport at 10am but again, getting through the airport, driving the hour and a half to the resort ect I am guessing its going to be about 1 or 2pm before I will be able to be able to get a decent meal.

It sucks because the actually "in the air" time is only 4 hours so no meal on the plane. Traveling from BWI.

I love to travel and if I were in your shoes, I would try and eat at the times I eat right now. A 5am snack (like apple before you board) a 6:30 am snack (like babybel and nuts once you are on board), and a big turkey sandwich or bagel sandwich (packed from home with lots of protein) mid-flight about 8:30am. It will keep if you keep a cooler in the trunk of you car for the drive to the airport. After you get through customs, EAT at the airport for sure at 10am. I'd probably at least get something fresh to eat for transport. Then you won't be famished for food, you can leisurely check in and have a yummy early dinner followed by a dip in the ocean!! Enjoy your trip!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I love to travel and if I were in your shoes, I would try and eat at the times I eat right now. A 5am snack (like apple before you board) a 6:30 am snack (like babybel and nuts once you are on board), and a big turkey sandwich or bagel sandwich (packed from home with lots of protein) mid-flight about 8:30am. It will keep if you keep a cooler in the trunk of you car for the drive to the airport. After you get through customs, EAT at the airport for sure at 10am. I'd probably at least get something fresh to eat for transport. Then you won't be famished for food, you can leisurely check in and have a yummy early dinner followed by a dip in the ocean!! Enjoy your trip!

This is a great idea. I travel often and I always bring a piece of fruit or cheese with me. Also, BEEF JERKY is awesome and pretty filling. Packing a sandwich is a good bet :)
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 402 Member
    Jerky and nuts. We fly from PA to Oregon every year and we always take those staples on the plane.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    All great suggestions, but dont forget to enjoy yourself. You have your whole life to work on this!!
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 306 Member
    Thanks for this. I have a 6 hour flight coming up and needed food ideas!