Quick Weight Loss Success Stories

I don't want to knock people's success. It's hard to understand someone's full story from reading, but I've found that I've been reading there less and less. So many of them have lost so much weight in such a short amount of time and then it makes me doubt my chosen snail's pace for losing weight. I know what I'm currently doing is healthy, but I still struggle with impatience so sometimes it's hard to see some of the quick success stories. Does anyone else ever feel that way?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    I always have to take a step back when I look at myself in the mirror and not losing "as fast" as I would like. But I do get over it and continue down a sustainable path to weight loss.

I just have to think back to all my yo yo diets and shudder
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    totally, it makes me wonder if I have missed a key point...again.

But I do trust the science. And it took me quite a long time to strangle my metabolism, it will take a while for my body to trust me. I need to read the patience stickies again :)
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    To keep things in perspective - it took me 9 years to get where I am from goal weight to current weight. So it's not going to all come off in 3 months, 6 months, even a year. That helps!

Also just hearing my husband say 'you look thinner' or my mom saying 'your face looks thinner' even though I haven't lost a single pound since starting this is enough to keep on chugging!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    totally, it makes me wonder if I have missed a key point...again.

But I do trust the science. And it took me quite a long time to strangle my metabolism, it will take a while for my body to trust me. I need to read the patience stickies again :)

^^^This^^^
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Oh my gosh, yes! I did just that today! :blushing:
    Was reading the main thread success stories and saw quite a few of those....sigh.
    It does frustrate me, but I know that I #1dont want to be skinny fat and lose muscle, #2 dont want to repeat the process in six months or whatever, #3 dont want to starve! I like eating. :smile:
    Patience is so not my strong point, but in this I need to be and Im damn glad I have found this group for support!
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    I think about how long it took me to get to the weight i was not longer happy with. And then i think abou my health. Not how "skinny" i am or can be, but my actual health. I am looking for a lifestyle change, not a diet. And in my head, i know i couldn't sustain 1200 calories a day for the rest of my life. Nor would i want to. Eating more is about having a healthy relationship with food. And fueling your body for physical activity. I want to be able to chase my 2 year old around and not shake bc i am so hungry. It may take longer to lose, but in the process you can build lean muscle and be healthy! And that in itself is good enough for me :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    I don't think losing weight at the a rate of 5+ pounds per month is necessarily unhealthy. It depends on the context.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    I'm not in a race with other people, and happy that they can loose. But my fat loss has nothing to do with any one but me.
    What I do find interesting is when other people (IRL) try to goad me with their results and how fast they'er loosing!
    One of them is doing the Metamucil diet- eat once a day and drink plenty of Metamucil...lol!
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    I feel like this too as we live in a 'i want it now' world and when it takes ages it does suck big time. But then i look at my track record and see how many times i have tried to lose weight in the past and what the result was .. yeah i lost a some weight at first and then couldn't sustain what i was doing and ended up putting weight back on ... plus some at times!!!

This is different, a lifestyle change and sustainable!!!

Learn from your past experiences and keep off the weight this time!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    I feel like this too as we live in a 'i want it now' world and when it takes ages it does suck big time. But then i look at my track record and see how many times i have tried to lose weight in the past and what the result was .. yeah i lost a some weight at first and then couldn't sustain what i was doing and ended up putting weight back on ... plus some at times!!!

This is different, a lifestyle change and sustainable!!!

Learn from your past experiences and keep off the weight this time!

This is exactly how I feel. I've definitely lost this weight before and I want this to be the last time for sure. So I don't care if it takes three times as long as long as it stays off, but it can still be hard to be patient sometimes!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I lost 100 pounds in 5 years the first time around. Obviously it was not successful otherwise I wouldnt be here. So I do want to do it the RIGHT way this time..However long it takes. But it is hard. I do want the weight off as soon as possible, so I know the struggle internally with it
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    To be completely honest, this is the last time for me....so the weight can come off as fast or slow as IT wants to. In fact, I am DONE and I am PISSED so I will EMWL forever so I never get in this predicament again. Like Raynn, I've done the quick loss and was a poster child of success but when I went from 1200 calories a day with irregular exercise up to 2200 calories to sustain a pregnancy, well, my metabolism couldn't deal with that. And here I am and I feel great :) Each day gets me closer to the stronger me I want to be.

Instead of feeling frustrated with folks like that, I feel empathy because I've been there and I know what the future can potentially hold for them. It's not their fault...they, nor I at the time....know any better, so I feel compassion.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    To be completely honest, this is the last time for me....so the weight can come off as fast or slow as IT wants to. In fact, I am DONE and I am PISSED so I will EMWL forever so I never get in this predicament again. Like Raynn, I've done the quick loss and was a poster child of success but when I went from 1200 calories a day with irregular exercise up to 2200 calories to sustain a pregnancy, well, my metabolism couldn't deal with that. And here I am and I feel great :) Each day gets me closer to the stronger me I want to be.

Instead of feeling frustrated with folks like that, I feel empathy because I've been there and I know what the future can potentially hold for them. It's not their fault...they, nor I at the time....know any better, so I feel compassion.

I get this sentiment. Pissed is exactly how I felt when I stepped on the scale back in February (my rock bottom moment) when I decided that I was DONE being overweight and dealing with "weight issues" Sometimes I think a little angst in the right direction does a world of good!

I don't get frustrated with the people who are posting their stories. I'm happy for them. I do worry that many will put the weight back on. I've definitely been down that road a few times. I just struggle a bit internally with the issue of taking time. I have no doubt that the slow route is the right route for my body. I'm just looking forward to the day that I get to be the success story - wish it were here...lol! . :)
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Yes, yes yes!

But I keep trying to tell myself, I did that. It just came back. That is mirage weight. I found a girl who is my height in the success stories and she was eating 1200 cal a day. She feels she can do that for the rest of her life. She had lost 100lbs already. Who am I to say that`s wrong.

I haven`t lost anything yet. But I know I can not live on 1200 a day.

So if insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results then I am tired of being insane.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    So how much weight can u put on? Before the scale moves back down, and at what rate? 1lb /week ish? I'm on 1st week, got a full tire round the middle that's new and feels like its getting bigger by the minute!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Sweatpants, I am so confident that this is it for you. Your success story will inspire others. Write it now and keep it in your pocket. I used to go to places that I had to pay weekly whether I lossed or gained. So, I was getting upset that on top of being fat, I'm losing money. So I risked losing muscle and didn't lift and ate no salt for 24 hours before weigh in and made myself feel like a failure even I did everything right! That's not living. And I am still mad about how all that made me feel....years of that. So I'm Channeling that anger into resolve. End rant/ :) You have real support here and I wish you and all here (including me) faith that in a year we'll be talking about how we feel today!!! Haha
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    So if insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results then I am tired of being insane.

Amen!
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    So how much weight can u put on? Before the scale moves back down, and at what rate? 1lb /week ish? I'm on 1st week, got a full tire round the middle that's new and feels like its getting bigger by the minute!

It's different for everyone. Personally, I gained about 3 lbs immediately after upping (upped to full TDEE in two stages) and the stabilized. Don't know how much I'll lose once I start cutting. :ohwell:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    YES! I do get jealous of others losing quickly, but actually I have always been a slow loser...so the fact that I am losing at a decent pace right now and eating how much I am...makes me so happy.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    I think about my personal walk and how I have seen people go up and down over and over. I just rather the slow loss of body fat and the toning so when I get to goal size I'm not skinny fat...been there done that.