Anyone maintaining at a deficit?

Options
Val_from_OH
Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
I am nearly through Stage 1 and have been eating at the 300 calorie deficit as calculated in the book. I have lost NOTHING. Not a lb, not an inch, nothing. I have a slightly more fit appearance, but nothing astonishing. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• amehime
    amehime Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how Stage 1 worked for me. I ate at maintenance for about half of it, and at a small deficit for the other half. I just started Stage 2 and will be doing the HIIT. I'm trying to stay positive and hope for better results and more fat loss as I get further into the program. I would also like to know how others are faring.
  • Val_from_OH
    Options
    How are you going to do the HIIT? I do not run, so I'm thinking I will stick to the arc trainer and just move a lot faster for the high intensity parts.
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm almost done with stage one, I only have the special workouts left, and according to the book's cals, I'm eating either at or above maintenance and I've lost 5lbs and about 16" overall. But I'm also obese and have a lot to lose, so take that for what it's worth!
  • avalynsmom
    Options
    Oh, I eat according to the fat2fit BMR calculations, which are higher than NROL4W
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    How are you going to do the HIIT? I do not run, so I'm thinking I will stick to the arc trainer and just move a lot faster for the high intensity parts.
    I do HIIT on the stair master. 30 sec at level 15. 90 sec at level 7. I do 8 rounds = 16 minutes.... I use an interval program on my phone to track the time. Gymboss.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm eating at a deficit and maintaining. Could be health conditions, though, since I AM OBESE and don't care if I'm lifting damn weights, this **** should be impossible.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Calories are a guessing game. Even when you calculate your BMR using the formulas or calculators, it is still just an estimate. So you may or may not be eating at a deficit of 300. If the scale is not moving the way you want, then you need to change. You may be eating too much or you may actually be eating too little. Just make a change and give it 3-4 weeks to see the true effects. You didn't say where you were on calories, but my suggestion would be if you are eating at 1500 or below that you actually increase your calories by 300-500 and see what happens. If you are already eating at 1800 - 2000, then you might lower them just a bit (maybe 100-200) and see what happens.

I'm 5'4" and my calories range anywhere from 1500 - 2400 depending on the day. I'm no longer in "weight loss mode" and have been maintaining a 125 lb weight loss for almost 2 yrs now. When I first started NROL4W I was totally stressed out about the additional calories, but I have since relaxed and just gone with it. I have found an eating routine that works for me (typically around 1500 base) and adjust for how hungry I am that day. But the adjustments are made in real, wholesome foods like nuts, fruit and such. I eat very little processed carbs, or at least try.

Trying to figure out the calories is very frustrating and a lot of hit or miss. Just stick with it, you will eventually find what works for you. Good luck.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I am nearly through Stage 1 and have been eating at the 300 calorie deficit as calculated in the book. I have lost NOTHING. Not a lb, not an inch, nothing. I have a slightly more fit appearance, but nothing astonishing. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes! Me too. I started stage 1 @ 190, and I pretty much ended it at 190. I briefly saw 188.5, but then it went back to 190. Last weekend though (after my rest week between stages), it went to 187. So it's slow, but like you, I see changes in the mirror & clothes too. So I'm going to try to be patient. Even if 187 sticks, losing 3 lb. in 7 weeks feels sooooo slow, but if I'm stronger & leaner at the end, it'll be worth it.
  • Val_from_OH
    Options
    I'm almost done with stage one, I only have the special workouts left, and according to the book's cals, I'm eating either at or above maintenance and I've lost 5lbs and about 16" overall. But I'm also obese and have a lot to lose, so take that for what it's worth!
    16"?! That is AWESOME!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight through stage 1 I am eating at a deficit of my TDEE.

I have lost 1 inch on my waist and 1-2% body fat though...

So its not all in the scale...
  • avalynsmom
    Options
    16"?! That is AWESOME!

Thank you:) Yes that's overall loss from my hips, waist, thighs, and calves, and chest. It's mostly come from my hips/waist. My profile pic is a comparison pic from the day before I started NR and this last Monday, 5wks in. I'm taking pics/measurements again on Monday and I'll post my final numbers then:)