Scooby advanced calculator

Still early in my journey and am in the "playing with as many calculators as possible" phase and was looking at Scooby's advanced version...

I've been using the Katch-McArdle calculation because I have my BF from a health assessment the other week but further down the page there is this gem of information:

"Everything has flaws and the Cunningham and Katch-McArdle equations do to. Their flaw is that they completley disregard the energy required to maintain the bodyfat so they are not accurate for untrained obese people. Whose equations should you use for best accuracy? If you are fairly muscular and lean (4-pack abs or better), I would recommend the Katch-McArdle formula. If you are just starting on your fitness journey and are not yet strong or lean then I recommend the Mifflin-St Jeor equation"

I understand these calcs are all estimates but quite a big difference in the outcome, doesn't make it any easier to pick a target...!!

Calculation - BMR, TDEE
Harris-Benedict - 2702, 3715
Mifflin-St Jeor - 2405, 3307
Cunningham - 2330, 3204
Katch-McArdle - 2167, 2980

So K-M *with* cut is 2500 which is what I've been aiming at, M-StJ cut is 2800 which I'd find tough to get too, I can't even begin to think what a reset based on H-B would be like!!

Maybe time to get a kifit lol...!!!

(no real point to this post, just pointing out differences, maybe bottom line being to emphasise the calcs, whatever method, are estimates and I'll be fine tuning to find what works for me :) )

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Ya that Katch McCardle does not take into account how many calories fat burns. Fat is not an inert material, and it takes energy (far less than muscle, but still some) on a daily basis.

That is why they say Katch McCardle is not good for people with high body fat %.

For me the difference is 850 calories lower (high BF %), however that does not take into account 80lbs of fat.
  • ae2rigc
    ae2rigc Posts: 37
    Yeah, think I might up a bit, current target is a bit close to K-StJ BMR, see how that goes for a couple of weeks.