IF June, anyone?

Options
bacitracin
bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
A bunch of us (Greencup13, Jay_Jay_, Waterdreamer, Ker19) are gonna do Intermittent Fasting June, as a theme month. Anyone else in for that sorta fun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

Personally, I'm gonna go with Leangains style 8am-4pm, most days. I might try a couple days of Fast-5 style 7am-noon. I start a new work schedule next week of ten-hour days, 6am to 4:30pm (half an hour for lunch), and I'm gonna try to not eat at home at all. I have my turkey sausages and my pork chorizo sausages in the freezer for breakfast and my bacon cheeseburgers and turkey burgers for lunch. :) I'm gonna stock up on almonds for sure, though, I'm gonna go through a lot of them...

*edit* I also better stock up on water filters, because I'm gonna be drinkin' a lot of ice water. :)

Replies

• sugarhello
    sugarhello Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been doing this on accident for a few weeks now. I get so fraking busy at work all day that I don't time to eat until I get home around 7ish. So I've been doing 23/1 and it's already helping me break my mini-plateau.
  • greencup13
    greencup13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Soooo.......during the fasting you drink water, coffee, and tea only correct. (coffee and tea if you want)
  • sugarhello
    sugarhello Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Correct, although I believe you can eat up to 60 calories/hr and it won't make a difference.
  • greencup13
    Options
    Correct, although I believe you can eat up to 60 calories/hr and it won't make a difference.

is that true bacitracin? is that why you are stocking up on almonds? lol
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think it might be a little lower than 60, I can't site sources but I thought I had read anything under 10 calories per hour was fasting. 60 calories by 16 hours would be 960 calories which is 2/3rd of my daily!

I've been doing 16/8 and I really like it so far, the mornings are a little hard when everyone is snacking and grazing on things in the office. But once 12 rolls around I eat a nice HEAVY meal because I can afford the calories, then im full until I get home at 5:30 and I start cooking another heavy meal for dinner, which fills me up the rest of the night. I've also been getting in nearly all my calories and my macros are looking better than ever because I can make two meals a day instead of planning for three.

For both of you ladies, you may want to see an article posted earlier on /r/keto: http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/ It doesn't say not to fast or that it will not work, but there are some symtpoms for ladies that can come up with fasting, so listen to your bodies!
  • bacitracin
    Options
    I'm pretty sure <10 Kcal per hour is considered fasting, as well. :)

edit: i'm gonna stock up on almonds because they're HEAVY on flavor as well as fats, to keep me full. :) The Blue Diamond Chili Lime and also the Habanero BBQ and the Dijon Mustard ones are awesome snacks, and the Emerald Cocoa Roast almonds are my favorite as a dessert.
  • greencup13
    Options
    ut oh. I completely forgot about heavy cream and coconut oil having calories for my IF..........eeeeekkkkkkkkkkk. So if i chug 2 coffees with cream and coconut oil in an hour thats way more then 60calories. Adjustments need to be made to my coffee regime.
  • bacitracin
    Options
    When do you have your coffees with cream and coconut oil? Are you planning on skipping breakfast the way I skip dinner?

You just might have to learn to like coffee black, or maybe with just a small teaspoon of cream and some sucralose!
  • ker19
    ker19 Posts: 4
    Options
    hmmm I've been drinking my coffee with a tablespoon of stevia and a tablespoon of half and half while fasting... should I start drinking it black?
  • gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in as well. I normally end up doing it most days, but I'm going to be stricter about the hours and details. I'm thinking I'll eat between noon and 6 pm now. It depends on what my work schedule ends up being and when I'll get home for dinner.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I feel very lucky to not be a coffee drinker, I drink my hot tea straight in the morning. :D

IF is still going great, though yesterday I was WAY under my calories because I stupidly didn't realize 9 ounces of corned beef was only 420 calories.. so I left it to eat until an hour before 8pm and I was STUFFED haha
  • bacitracin
    Options
    hmmm I've been drinking my coffee with a tablespoon of stevia and a tablespoon of half and half while fasting... should I start drinking it black?

Half and half? Get outta here! LOL j/k, why not just use heavy cream, straight up, though? Heavy cream is GOOD.

*edit* i know a guy on Google Plus that has his coffee with Kerrygold Butter. It definitely sounds interesting.
  • ChesKrieg
    ChesKrieg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in.. I actually started my firs 24 hour fast last night.
  • dji386
    dji386 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been doing ADF (36/12, roughly) for almost two weeks now, and am kicking *kitten* at it!
  • bacitracin
    Options
    Oddly enough, I've been having more success when I eat an ounce or so of cheese before bed because I'm so hungry because my girlfriend keeps me up past my bedtime. i like IF, but she thinks it's silly. /shrug. it's working.
  • jiv8
    jiv8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for the past 2 weeks now, two 24-30hr fasts and one 16hr each week. I just drink water and nescafe decaf with stevia/equal and some whipped cream. I make sure i go to gym the next day on an empty stomach and perfectly time the fast to end once I've finished exercising, so I can consume all the vitamins my body needs right after the workout.

It's working really well!!! losing 1.25KG each week. It starts to get easy once you're in ketosis since you lose your appetite and you have incredible amounts of energy from burning fat.