Cardio

Options
tdigirl
tdigirl Posts: 13 Member
Okay. I was yelled at by one of my trainers today for doing too much cardio. He told me I just undid everything I had accomplished in the gym this week. Yes, it's Tuesday. SO, I wanted to find out how much cardio is too much? I lift heavy 4 days a week. I do about 35 - 60 min cardio 3 to 4 times a week. The 60 min is a Zumba class. I actually have seen great results lately and can now proudly say I can leg press 600 lbs and flat bench 155 lbs. I TOTALLY don't want to sabotage myself here. HELP. :ohwell:

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find anything definitive on the subject, although too much cardio can start to hurt your recovery and take away some energy and intensity from your training. I do sled pulls after I lift or on off days and usually about an hour low intensity walk with the dog 3-4 times a week. I certainly wouldn't say you could undo everything from the gym from a bit of cardio but it is one of those things that comes down to the individual and listening to your body.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It really depends what your goals are. In terms of just increasing your strength then yes, you're probably better off not overdoing the cardio as well. However if your goal is losing weight and need the cardio to create your deficit then do it. I've made a deal with my strength coach and Crossfit coach that for the next 11 weeks (before Fiji) I care about fat loss, not strength... they've adjusted my routine accordingly :)
  • Udail51
    Udail51 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Its all about what you are looking for. I do alot of cardio but I am mainly in weight loss mode. If you are just trying to max strength then stay low on cardio.

Your body will dictate how much is too much. So if your trainer is getting you ready for max strength you likely did too much cardo. I do not believe you undid what you did before.

Muscles react much differently to cardio vs. power.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    All of the above is true. I try to do a fat burning level where my heart rate doesn't go above 120 bpm. Anything above that and I am actually doing cardio which tends to eat away my muscle gains. I think it would be best to cycle cardio and strength training. I myself do strength training and 20 min.of fat burning.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do HIIT type stuff as opposed to long cardio sessions.
    Prowler pushing, sled drags, or hill sprints.
  • tdigirl
    tdigirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I actually have been sick so I totally stopped any and all cardio and have just focused on lifting. WHICH hasn't been easy as unfortunately I'm still weak from being ill.