Reduce Cardio?

Hi All!

I just bought an HRM yesterday and I love it! However I have realized that I was underestimating my calories burned up until this point. I have my calories set at my cut amount of 1946 using a moderate activity level (BMR 1569) however I find that most days I'm really struggling to eat even my 1946 let alone eat back exercise calories over 377 calories burned.

I am sure that I read on one of the threads in the group that many people have had to reduce cardio so that they haven't had that problem. I'm really struggling with this concept as it's always been drilled into my head workout! workout! workout!

Basically my routine looks like this:
Monday-60 min cardio
Tuesday-30 min JM Ripped in 30 and usually 30-40 min brisk walk on incline treadmill
Wednesday-60 min cardio
Thursday-30 min JM Ripped in 30 and usually 30-40 min brisk walk on incline treadmill
Friday- 40-60 min cardio via JM vids or treadmill
Saturday-30 min JM Ripped in 30 and usually 20-40 min cardio (treadmill, JM vid's)

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Unless you're training for an athletic competition of some kind, there are no additional benefits to any more than 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise per day. In fact, the WHO recommends the following:

Adults aged 18–64 should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or do at least 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
    Aerobic activity should be performed in bouts of at least 10 minutes duration.
    For additional health benefits, adults should increase their moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes per week, or engage in 150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
    Muscle-strengthening activities should be done involving major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week

Anything more than that is unnecessary for general health and fitness.

ETA: Source - http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_adults/en/index.html
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Id say u are Very Active, not moderate so that means youre then supposed to eat more than 1946 actually.
    I think you can reduce your cardo by half almost. 30DS or RI30 are actually fine by itself for a day, but adding only 20min cardio would be fine instead of 40min.
    To make up calories add healthy fats and calorie dense food to your meals. Avocado, olive oil, nuts, real butter, whole milk, peanut butter for example.
    :flowerforyou:
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    You can either reduce cardio or increase calories. Personally I would rather exercise more to eat more, but everyone is different. Also you have to remember that your body very quickly adapts to cardio, so it may be time to take a break from the 60 minutes sessions and go more for short 30 minute sessions of HIIT training.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I reduced my cardio from 6 x Insanity to 2-3 times Insanity and I added three times of lifting instead, which I love
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    If you're struggling to eat enough, then yeah, I would reduce the cardio.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice! I really appreciate it! I currently do Zumba 2 x week but this session ends on June 20, so I think I will get rid of the Zumba and substitute some other JM vids in there!

Thanks again and any other/more suggestions are welcome and appreciated as well!
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    I would reduce cardio and add at least 2 strength training days. You can also add some yoga/pilates if you like.