Hey all, Male user :)

Options
polza1888
polza1888 Posts: 87 Member
Hey everyone, decided to join this group after stalling (again) on my weight loss. I was on 1400 calories and now have moved up to 1700 in hope my weight loss will shift. I see mostly woman in this group, i'm male but thought I'd join anyway :-p

Can anyone tell me what the metabolism reset is I keep hearing about?

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the group.

There are a few guys here as well-so don't worry :)

You will have to run your numbers to find out your TDEE and your cut value as well as your BMR.

If you have those you can take the next step.

The reset is basically eating for 6-8 weeks at your TDEE to get your metabolism back on track. There are great reads about all of it in the stickies.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

FiveohMike will be along to offically welcome you and tell you his story.

I will tell you this, if you hang out with us, you will NEVER eat 1700 calories for an entire day again!!

Most of us here are at 2000 or more so get ready to EAT!!

Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

This is how we roll :)))
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, decided to join this group after stalling (again) on my weight loss. I was on 1400 calories and now have moved up to 1700 in hope my weight loss will shift. I see mostly woman in this group, i'm male but thought I'd join anyway :-p

I will do even better...there is a video that talks about it. In the Vid sticky we break it down for ya.

But basically, you eat your TDEE for 8 weeks, which resets your metabolism higher, you then take a small cut to start the weight loss again.

Lucia
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group, glad you joined, this group has made this journey so much easier by not limiting our bodies but fueling them! Good luck!
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Welcome! It is safe here :)
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Not only is it safe here but we have cookies....and peanut butter.....and (sometimes) ice cream....:bigsmile:
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

This is how we roll :)))

I love eating 2000 calories!! Nom nom nom :)
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Not only is it safe here but we have cookies....and peanut butter.....and (sometimes) ice cream....:bigsmile:

^^^ This is awesome!! ^^^

Welcome to the group OP! We could use a few more men around here! :blushing:
  • polza1888
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll also check out that youtube video tonight once I finish work.

2000 daily calories?? That's a lot to get through. I moved my calories from 1400 to 1800 yesterday and already struggling to get through them lol.

What reduction on Scooby (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results) will I use? 15%?
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm a guy, too. It's not that bad, just don't open the topics that say TOM. It took me a couple times to remember what that meant, but now I've got it figured out.

Also, you can work your way up to eating more, but yes, most likely you will be eating way more than 1700 calories. I am doing things a little bit differently, but I eat anywhere between 3000 and 4000 calories per day when working out. My weight went up by about 5 or 6 pounds initially, but I have been sitting there now for about 5 weeks. My shape is changing for the better, though, and I can tell I am starting to get stronger.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, too. It's not that bad, just don't open the topics that say TOM. It took me a couple times to remember what that meant, but now I've got it figured out.

Also, you can work your way up to eating more, but yes, most likely you will be eating way more than 1700 calories. I am doing things a little bit differently, but I eat anywhere between 3000 and 4000 calories per day when working out. My weight went up by about 5 or 6 pounds initially, but I have been sitting there now for about 5 weeks. My shape is changing for the better, though, and I can tell I am starting to get stronger.

Haha! Good advice about TOM!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll also check out that youtube video tonight once I finish work.

2000 daily calories?? That's a lot to get through. I moved my calories from 1400 to 1800 yesterday and already struggling to get through them lol.

What reduction on Scooby (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results) will I use? 15%?

Most of us do use the 15% cut. So I would start there and be consistent with it and after 6-8 weeks see how you are doing. I eat 2100 cal a day, so I think 1800 might be a bit too low for you.

Ya might want to forgo fat free stuff or even the reduce fat foods for a bit. And believe me, you'll get used to eating and your body will start telling you "hey FEED me" in no time!!!!!

Welcome aboard!!!
    Anita
  • robcarter10
    robcarter10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Let me start off by saying that I believe in the information that you will read in this group even though it does seem to be the opposite of what we have learned for so many years. I know that I always believed that to lose weight that I had to cut calories as much as I could. However, I never managed to cut them back to 1400 like you did. I followed the myfitnesspal recommendation of 1850 to lose 1.5/week for a while and successfully dropped my first 20lbs. Then, after a few months, the weight loss stopped at 243 and I couldn't break past it even though I was doing everything right. So, in an attempt to find a solution, I found this group a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it a try. Let me tell you that one of the challenges that I have faced as a larger male in this group is reading about the ladies increasing their calories to over 2000 to reset their metabolism. At first, I thought that it didn't sound that bad to eat that much. Then, I calculated my numbers on the scooby calculator. My TDEE is 3486 and 15% cut value is 2963. It was just so hard for me to believe that I could lose weight eating at that amount. So, I didn't even attempt to do the metabolism reset. I am still not sure if that is going to be a mistake that I will regret or not. What I have done is increased my food to where I am not netting below my BMR anymore which is pretty close to my TDEE - 15% cut value. It wasn't easy at first but got easier as time went on. Anyway, I am actually down 3lbs since starting to do this. I don't think that it is typical to start losing again right away though. Good luck
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Rather than start a new thread, thought I would just piggy back off a fellow male user LOL :happy:
    Just joined the group today actually, and this is exactly what I have been looking for. I currently weigh in around 225 and stand 67" tall on a good day. I have no problem weighing that amount, just want to find those ab things I keep hearing about :laugh:
    I do not have any friends that use this group, nor do I have any friends that actually use MFP religiously so please feel free to add me, male or female. I am going to calculate my TDEE and BMR first thing Monday morning and get started! And for the record Love to Lift, Hate to Run LOL
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Rather than start a new thread, thought I would just piggy back off a fellow male user LOL :happy:
    Just joined the group today actually, and this is exactly what I have been looking for. I currently weigh in around 225 and stand 67" tall on a good day. I have no problem weighing that amount, just want to find those ab things I keep hearing about :laugh:
    I do not have any friends that use this group, nor do I have any friends that actually use MFP religiously so please feel free to add me, male or female. I am going to calculate my TDEE and BMR first thing Monday morning and get started! And for the record Love to Lift, Hate to Run LOL

Welcome aboard and if ya have any questions just give a shout out because these fine folks here will surely give ya a helping hand!!!!! :drinker:

Anita
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!!
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Welcome fullas!
  • polza1888
    Options
    Just to make sure I'm doing it correct, can someone have a look at the image ive taken and make sure I'm using the correct box for calories? http://i46.tinypic.com/ykrab.png