Team 8 - The Ringers

Options

Replies

• lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Hey Ringers!!

I don't think that we need to keep a running tally of the number of times that we complete the events... I started that initially in case we could get relay points more than once. BUT it appears we can only get them one time per event.

However, the list of the events that each of us has done at least one time? That's great because it will help us know if we are close to relay points. In other words - if all you crazy people bike the 12.4 miles?!? Then, I will get my angry butt on the bike and go that far... just to get the bonus... ;)

So, I think just a list of the events will suffice! :)
  • lombrica
    Options
    Added to my events today --

Athletics - 100 meter dash
    Athletics - 400 meter dash
    Athletics -1600 meters
    Boxing (30 min increments)
    Cycling - 5,000 meters
    Cycling - 10,000 meters
    Swimming - 100 meters
    Swimming - 400 meters
    Water Polo (30 min increments)
    Weightlifting (30 min increments)
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Back for one day then off again for the weekend. I just checked out our events. As of 10:00 (EST) on June 14th, here is what we've got.

Team "The Ringers" is currently in 3rd spot.
    Carla and Becky have reached the Decathelete level (next level is 20 events so will be tough)
    Lorraine has completed 6 different events - Pentathelete
    Troy has completed 7 different events - Pentathelete

Athletics - 100 meter dash - Carla, Becky
    Athletics - 400 meter dash- Carla, Becky
    Athletics -1600 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics -5000 meters - Carla, Becky, Lorraine
    Athletics -10,000 meters - Lorraine
    Badminton -
    Basketball (half court - shooting baskets for 30 minutes)
    Basketball (full court game)
    Boxing (30 min increments) - Becky
    Canoeing/Rowing - Troy
    Cycling - 5,000 meters - Becky, Carla, Troy
    Cycling - 10,000 meters - Becky, Carla, Troy
    Cycling - 20,000 meters - Carla, Troy
    Diving -
    Equestrian -
    Fencing -
    Football (Soccer game)
    Gymnastics (30 minutes aerobics class, aquafit, zumba etc.) - Carla
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Sailing
    Swimming - 100 meters - Becky, Carla, Lorraine
    Swimming - 400 meters - Becky, Carla, Lorraine
    Swimming - 1600 meters (1 mile) -
    Table Tennis -
    Trampoline (Skipping) -
    Volleyball (Beach)
    Volleyball (Team)
    Water Polo (30 min increments) - Carla, Becky
    Weightlifting (30 min increments) - All of us, Woo Hoo another relay
    Wrestling

Take a look and see if there is something you can do that will give us another relay. Try something new. Don't normally swim - give it a try, how about climbing on that exercise bike, whatever you fancy. I am going to set up my daughter's WII and see about table tennis, archey and badminton (they can be virtual).

Everyone is doing awesome. Keep it up and keep it healthy. Carla
  • scotrunner
    scotrunner Posts: 92
    Options
    It's great we have a couple of relay points! I will try and cycle next week, I don't normally as I'm more of a runner but it's good to try new things. When you did your short sprints what were you doing? A quick run on the treadmill or as part of a longer run? I know where I can do interval training on a 500m stretch of road so I could do some there.

My life is busy just now, it is nearly the end of the school term and we seem to have so many end of term activities like sports days etc to attend so I'm not getting my 3 'free' mornings a week to exercise plus I'm heavily involved in girl guides and this is end of term and camping season! It's not easy when you have little ones to consider first so I apologise. My husband is off to Singapore tomorrow for a whole week. Arrragghh!!!

Keep at it ringers (even if I'm not lol!!).
  • carhicks
    Options
    Hello all,
    Back for one day then off again for the weekend. I just checked out our events. As of 10:00 (EST) on June 14th, here is what we've got.

Team "The Ringers" is currently in 3rd spot.
    Carla and Becky have reached the Decathelete level (next level is 20 events so will be tough)
    Lorraine has completed 6 different events - Pentathelete
    Troy has completed 7 different events - Pentathelete

Athletics - 100 meter dash - Carla, Becky
    Athletics - 400 meter dash- Carla, Becky
    Athletics -5000 meters - Carla, Becky, Lorraine
    Athletics -10,000 meters - Lorraine
    Badminton -
    Basketball (half court - shooting baskets for 30 minutes)
    Canoeing/Rowing - Troy, Carla
    Diving -
    Equestrian -
    Fencing -
    Football (Soccer game)
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Sailing
    Swimming - 1600 meters (1 mile) - Carla
    Table Tennis -
    Trampoline (Skipping) -
    Volleyball (Beach)
    Volleyball (Team)
    Wrestling

Take a look and see if there is something you can do that will give us another relay. Try something new. Don't normally swim - give it a try, how about climbing on that exercise bike, whatever you fancy. I am going to set up my daughter's WII and see about table tennis, archey and badminton (they can be virtual).

Everyone is doing awesome. Keep it up and keep it healthy. Carla
  • carhicks
    Options
    It's great we have a couple of relay points! I will try and cycle next week, I don't normally as I'm more of a runner but it's good to try new things. When you did your short sprints what were you doing? A quick run on the treadmill or as part of a longer run? I know where I can do interval training on a 500m stretch of road so I could do some there.

My life is busy just now, it is nearly the end of the school term and we seem to have so many end of term activities like sports days etc to attend so I'm not getting my 3 'free' mornings a week to exercise plus I'm heavily involved in girl guides and this is end of term and camping season! It's not easy when you have little ones to consider first so I apologise. My husband is off to Singapore tomorrow for a whole week. Arrragghh!!!

Keep at it ringers (even if I'm not lol!!).

I have done my sprints as part of a longer run and actually on the treadmill for the most part. Once you do one of the new activities once, it gets the relay points and we can not get them more than once, so it you don't like it, you don't do it again. I do find that changing up my exercise helps to work other parts of my body. The weight lifting I did the other day is still haunting me (my thighs are so sore from squats).

You need to do what you can do. I know when I was working full time, I did not have time to do a lot of exercise. Kids take up time and you need to fit it in. You family is important. How many children do you have and how old are they? I used to be involved in Girl Guides when my daughter was little and I really enjoyed that.
  • scotrunner
    Options
    The good news is I managed to fit the sprints into my run tonight. I did 4.6 miles which is 5000m, 1600m, 2 x 400m and 1x100m!! I did the sprints faster than the majority of my run.

I actually don't work at the moment (well not paid work!), however, my children are still little so command most of my attention. I have 2 girls. Christina is 5 and starts school (9-3pm) in august. At the moment she goes to pre school nursery 5 mornings a week. Katherine is 3 and attends nursery 3 mornings a week but will start 5 mornings in August. Hence I don't have a lot of time to myself!

I run a guide unit on Wednesday evenings, we have 34 girls at the moment but it's great fun and I've been doing it for nearly 18 years which i can hardly believe! I think it's a great organisation.

Lorraine
  • carhicks
    Options
    Hello all, I am sorry, I have not been a very good leader. Here are our stats as of this morning, Saturday, June 23rd.

Team "The Ringers" is still in 3rd spot.
    Carla and Becky have reached the Decathelete level (next level is 20 events so will be tough) Carla - 17, Becky 10
    Lorraine has completed 8 different events - Pentathelete
    Troy has completed 9 different events - Pentathelete - just one more to become a decathalete Troy, wonder what it will be???:laugh:

Athletics - 100 meter dash - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics - 400 meter dash- All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics -5000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points
    Athletics -10,000 meters - Lorraine, Carla
    Badminton -
    Basketball (half court - shooting baskets for 30 minutes) - Carla
    Diving -
    Equestrian -
    Fencing -
    Football (Soccer game)
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Sailing
    Table Tennis -
    Trampoline (Skipping) - Carla
    Volleyball (Beach)
    Volleyball (Team)
    Wrestling

So last week, I went over to the neighbours and jumped on their trampoline for half an hour. It was pretty boring cause I was alone, but it is one other event that I can add to the total. I then went out to shoot some hoops in their driveway with the kids. I think they wished that I was on the other team because I was so bad, but another event down. The older kids in the neighbourhood walked by and snickered as they saw me chasing down the ball (it was rolling down the street) but who cares. I will get in 20 events because I will do a few on the Wii as soon as I figure out how to attach it to the big television.

What new activity will you try?? Anyone got a horse out there (Equestrian) especially in Montana, or how about a pair of roller blades (hockey). My husband has actually forbidden me to try and rollerblade or play volleyball (I used to play when I was younger and always got hurt) so we definitely won't relay in those events, but it should be fun for those of you who can do it.

Here is my challenge to you this week, try one new event that you have not competed in. Just do it once and if you don't like it, you don't have to do it again. Let's see what we are capable of.

Everyone is doing awesome. GO RINGERS!!! Keep it up and keep it healthy. Carla :smile: :wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :drinker:
  • scotrunner
    Options
    I took you up on your challenge today Carla and went to my vinyasa yoga class. I used to go religiously but for one reason or another I got out of the habit. After an hour of yoga I decided to cycle since I was at the gym and had 45 minutes before I needed to collect my daughter from nursery. I managed 15.5kms so have now completed the 5km and 10km cycle as well as 2 x gymnastics from the yoga. I think we should get more relay points and I will be a decathlete. I am going to do the 1.6km swim and will try the 20km cycle too.
  • carhicks
    Options
    You rock Lorraine. Great to see you moving out of your comfort zone and trying something new. I am settingup thw Wii today cause the weather is going to be so hot today and gonna try to get in another sport virtually. I have been warned to be careful of my shoulders though. I have really gotten addicted to the rowing machine at the gym and try to do this 3 times a week. I am up to 6K in half an hour thanks to Troy. I wanted to try to get a further distance. I tend to be a little competitive. Have not heard from him in a while on this thread, I will have to see how he is doing. I know he has moved up to 10th place overall, so he is definitely working hard. Becky just got back from camp so has some catching up to do, but she is very competitive as well, so let's go Becky.
  • lombrica
    Options
    Sorry! It's been some time since I've been here and I haven't logged... about to go do that now! Also? Will head to the gym at some point today... and probably will work on the swimming again, as my rotator cuff has been killing me! An hour of swimming will give me the mile, and if I have anything left in me - I could work on some shorter distances.

Will be adding from Camp week - lots of weight lifting because I was using lifting form for all the hauling that I was doing! Also walking. Worked with my trainer x2 the week I came back so adding in a couple more boxing sessions! Did the bike to warm up and cool down most days just to ensure that I was adding into the bike totals... I think I need to look at what distances I need to do in order to earn us those relay points. I just have been hating the bike!

Anyway - headed over to add things in!
  • lombrica
    Options
    Added my stuff in... wow! Our total jumped up... we are still the Bronze medal team... but, we are further ahead of the fourth place team! :) And, only behind the silver by... well, a still large number! ha, ha, ha.

I'll need to look at where we are as a team for relay points. I'm ready to do some other things and get further along. I think that there are some areas where you just need me! So, I'll glance there...

GOOOOOO RINGERS!!
  • lombrica
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Updating the Current Rooster of Events! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Archery/Shooting (30 min increments) -
    :happy: Athletics - 100 meter dash - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Athletics - 400 meter dash- All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Athletics -1600 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Athletics -5000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    Athletics -10,000 meters - Lorraine, Carla
    Badminton -
    Basketball (half court - shooting baskets for 30 minutes) - Carla
    Boxing (30 min increments) - Becky, Troy,
    :happy: Cycling - 5,000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    :happy: Cycling - 10,000 meters - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    Diving -
    Equestrian -
    Fencing -
    Football (Soccer game)
    :happy: Gymnastics (30 minutes aerobics class, aquafit, zumba etc.) - All of us - Woo Hoo relay points :happy:
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Sailing
    Table Tennis -
    Trampoline (Skipping) - Carla
    Volleyball (Beach)
    Volleyball (Team)
    :happy: Weightlifting (30 min increments) - All of us, Woo Hoo another relay :happy:
    Wrestling

Individual Standings as of 2 PM Mountain July 1, 2012

Carla -- SOLIDLY in 4th Place - has completed 17 events!! WOW!! :flowerforyou:
    Becky -- In 7th Place - has completed 12 events
    Troy -- In 11th Place - has completed 11 events
    Lorraine -- in 13th Place - has completed 11 events

Carla -- currently has 3 Gold, 2 Silver & 6 Bronze, 2nd overall in the medal standings!
    Becky -- currently has 3 Gold, 1 Silver & 1 Bronze, 3rd overall in the medal standings
    Troy -- currently has 1 Gold & 2 Bronze, 12th overall in the medal standings
    Lorraine -- currently has 1 Silver, 24th overall in the medal standings

... so, we are kicking some major booooootay! :bigsmile: Keep it up!! Looks like we need some more relay points to get us in the running for the Silver - so I guess I'm gonna work on the 10,000 meters of running (shouldn't be an issue in the next 2-3 days), get on the rowing machine for 30 minutes (hey - the scars can always be made a little worse!), and Bike the 20,000 meters (have I mentioned just how MUCH I hate the bike these days?!? I deserve a reward - a good one - if I accomplish that!). Some of these need another person besides me... but I figure seeing 3 people's names usually is motivating for the fourth to try and do it. Personal goal is to also do the 1600 meters of swimming, get in the 30 minutes of jumping rope (don't know where a trampoline is so it'll have to be skipping rope), get my wii hooked up for the Archery, Table Tennis, and Badmitton. That would take me to the 20 event mark! I do have a friend that wants to play raquetball and possibly tennis... which'd be awesome. May have to also take 30 minutes to shoot some hoops. So, one way or another - I'll get to the 20 events in the next 2 weeks... No way I'm getting into 30. Ha!

Later, later! Have a good one everybody! :)
  • carhicks
    Options
    Holy Crap, we are doing good. Had a very busy weekend so it was great to log in and see you had done all the work for me Becky. Thanks. We are less than 5000 points our of silver so it is not unreachable and 6000 points out of gold. I do plan to reach the 20 events by the end of this week, so will get 2000 bonus points for that.

It looks like everyone took me up on the challenge and did something new and different this week, because we did get some relay points so that is awesome. I am curious what everyone did to get their gymnastics points. I did aquafit, circuit training and zumba to qualify for points. I know Lorraine did some yoga, what did you do (Troy and Becky)?

So here is the challenge for this week. Find something another team member has participated in that you have not and give it a try. For me that means boxing. I am looking for a kickboxing class or something to get this in, but will have to check this out. Keep it healthy Ringers and have some fun. Carla
  • lombrica
    Options
    Well - I actually thought that I'd have to figure out the time to do a class at the gym this week for the gymnastics. But when I got to the "Judo/ Taekwondo" - I thought, maybe my Yoga class would fit in there. It didn't but it did fit into the gymnastics category. So, that's what I did! :)

I did not however do anything today... My rotator cuff is just causing me all kinds of trouble. Carla - you asked on my post... it's an injury from Jan 2011 - when I somehow hurt my rotator cuff. I think I just pushed on my shoulder the wrong way - and actually think it was when I was getting into/out of bed. Crazy, I know. Anyway - swimming helped with rehabbing it, though initially it appeared that I'd have to go to a doctor. The physical therapist at work actually started e-stim'ing (electronic stimulation) 4 times or more a week... which was kinda a blessing. Between that for pain control and then the swimming - it got better. It has gotten a little sore here and there over time, but not ever too bad. Sometimes, depending on the lifts - when I am lifting heavy - it was a bit tender but more as a "sore" versus anything. Anyway - when I was out at camp - the Yoga person was looking at my shoulder to determine which muscle of the 4 it was that was hurt/weak. (rotator cuff is made up of 4 muscles) Anyway - she figured out which one, but in doing so - she actually did something that made it "hurt." I assumed that the hurt would go away... instead, it hasn't. I actually worked with my trainer 2x last week and the lifting probably didn't help, nor did the boxing. I also did some gardening that pushed the shoulder too far... now? It's actual pain. But, we'll see what I can do... E-stim'ing tomorrow for sure - and will need to see about getting some swimming in - which was really the most helpful last time. So, that's my long explanation... but, I am hopeful that the e-stim'ing will actually make it feel better. Crossing fingers.

Anyway... that's all, I'll catch back up later this week... hoping that I can get in the 20 events too -- so maybe we can move up the rankings! Thanks for all you are doing Carla!
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Wow, we are doing well! I'm a bit disappointed with my overall ranking but never mind. I'll just have to try harder ;) This week I'll try to do either the 20km cycle or the 1 mile swim. I could also do the rowing if I got my head round the idea of a full 30 minutes. For boxing I thought I could try a body combat class at the gym. Totally not my thing, I hate 'aerobics' classes but that is the whole point of this challenge isn't it!

Well done everybody, you are doing great! Becky, I'm really sorry to hear you are struggling with an injury, it sounds very painful. Hopefully you will get some relief soon.

Here's to another great week!

Lorraine
  • lombrica
    Options
    Wow, we are doing well! I'm a bit disappointed with my overall ranking but never mind. I'll just have to try harder ;) This week I'll try to do either the 20km cycle or the 1 mile swim. I could also do the rowing if I got my head round the idea of a full 30 minutes. For boxing I thought I could try a body combat class at the gym. Totally not my thing, I hate 'aerobics' classes but that is the whole point of this challenge isn't it!

Well done everybody, you are doing great! Becky, I'm really sorry to hear you are struggling with an injury, it sounds very painful. Hopefully you will get some relief soon.

Here's to another great week!

Lorraine

If you do the cycle, so will I!! ... and the same offer on the swim & the rowing... :)

I hate the bike these days, so I point out my commitment level if I can stay on the thing that long! That's what? 12.4 miles? Ugh, it's gonna be about 55 min to do... As for the rowing, I had loved it but when the skin tears happened I stopped. So, it'll just be mind over manner... just think slow & steady. That's what I'm gonna do. :)
  • lombrica
    Options
    Did the 20K Cycle! Wow... Ugh! ... unfortunately, my shoulder hurt even with that!

Saw my trainer tonight and let her know - so tomorrow will be all lower body, but should be another 30 min weights, 30 min boxing minimum... plus some cardio. I think that my aim will be to do the 60 min on the elliptical - which would get the 10K run for me... So, that will be at least the 2 events picked up (today the 20K bike, tomorrow the 10K run). Will have to do the rowing when my shoulder is better... probably the same for the wii stuff... not sure about the jumprope... I know that I heard that 30 min of it is a b*tch. Gotta get to that 20 event mark though. :)

We are within 4000 points of 2nd, and 5000 points of 1st. IF we are able to get the 20K cycle relay points? It's an extra 1200 points... so, that'd be a biggie...

... and thank goodness that the walk to the cafeteria at work is .25 miles - because I get that in at least 2x a day. Plus? I've been walking it extra just to get those 400m in. I like that. :) I like that I am leading solidly in that area! Plus, use it as a warm-up often... so anyway, I'll stop rambling and go to bed. Night all!
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Great job managing the 20km cycle! Sorry that even that hurt your shoulder. Has your trainer suggested that you stop everything for a little while? Just wondered as it does seem to be a severe injury? Look after yourself. I'm booked in to yoga again today and then going for a run with a friend so I won't manage the cycle today. More likely to be Thursday or Friday. It's school holidays in Scotland now for 7 weeks. The gym I use offers kids classes so I can put my children into those and get an hour to spend at the gym. I'm off to guide camp next week for 7 nights but I'm planning on taking my trainers so I can continue my running and there is a plan to go swimming with the girls too so I won't be lazy!

Have a great Tuesday :)
    Lorraine
  • scotrunner
    Options
    I did a 20km cycle today at the gym. I wanted to run but really wanted us to get relay points so went for the cycle and I have to say I really enjoyed it!! I set the level to 10 (out of 25) and kept my revs at about 100. My heart rate was between 130 & 150 and I set it to be random so did lots of tough climbs etc. I managed the 20km part in 42 minutes and then did a 1.5km cool down.

I'm off to guide camp tomorrow for a week so won't get my mile swim done or row but that is my aim for the week after next.

We are doing really well, we are close to both silver and gold now!! Go us :)

Have a great week and I'll catch up with you all next weekend.
    Lorraine