Am I on the right track?

Options
Shannonsto
Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
January 2nd, I started Weight Watchers, followed the plan dutifully, and lost weight quickly...for a couple of months. Then it slowed to a crawl. Just for kicks, I looked at my 30 points worth of food, added up the calories and got a whopping 1160. And I wasn't eating back most of my exercise calories. No wonder my body rebelled!

April 29, I started on MFP, and upped my calories to 1600. My weight then was 200.6. Mid May, I was finally convinced of the EM2WL idea and increased to 1800, eating exercise cals to keep my net above BMR. Then I weighed 202.8 (likely TOM water retention). I've since dropped to 198, for a total of 2.6 lbs lost over 5 weeks, 0.6 lb/week. OK, but I'd like it to be at least a pound per week. I still have 60 lbs to lose.

I've had a Bodymedia Fit for 5 days now, and found I burn far more than the online calculators predicted. I've averaged 2533, and had an average deifict of 578. I should definitely be losing at least a pound per week. Not sure if I should increase my calories, decrease them or just shut up and quit whining.

TDEE-15= 2153
TDEE-20=2027
currently eating 1800-1900.

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think those BMF's are supposed to be pretty accurate. You could always try going up to 2153 and see what happens. It doesn't hurt to try it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The accuracy of those devices is hit and miss.

Personally, I would go against the conventional wisdom of this group and drop to 1600.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    January 2nd, I started Weight Watchers, followed the plan dutifully, and lost weight quickly...for a couple of months. Then it slowed to a crawl. Just for kicks, I looked at my 30 points worth of food, added up the calories and got a whopping 1160. And I wasn't eating back most of my exercise calories. No wonder my body rebelled!

April 29, I started on MFP, and upped my calories to 1600. My weight then was 200.6. Mid May, I was finally convinced of the EM2WL idea and increased to 1800, eating exercise cals to keep my net above BMR. Then I weighed 202.8 (likely TOM water retention). I've since dropped to 198, for a total of 2.6 lbs lost over 5 weeks, 0.6 lb/week. OK, but I'd like it to be at least a pound per week. I still have 60 lbs to lose.

I've had a Bodymedia Fit for 5 days now, and found I burn far more than the online calculators predicted. I've averaged 2533, and had an average deifict of 578. I should definitely be losing at least a pound per week. Not sure if I should increase my calories, decrease them or just shut up and quit whining.

TDEE-15= 2153
    TDEE-20=2027
    currently eating 1800-1900.

You have been following the VLCD for quite awhile, so its very possible that it will take longer than most to get things turned around. I think I would keep with your current calorie goal and stick with it for about 6-8 weeks. Also, try to make sure that your food choices are fairly clean. A calorie is not just a calorie. Try to eat things that are nutrient dense, high in protein, moderate in healthy fats. Consistency is really, really important!