Consistency or Zig-zag?

YepLilly
YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
I'm somewhat new to EMTWL so I'm not sure what to do here.

Should I aim for consistency and try to eat my cut every day. Or should I cycle/zig-zag the calories, as in eating some days over cut and some days under (while making the weekly average of the daily amounts be my cut)?

The weekly calories stay the same in both cases, but the daily calories change.

Not sure what my body would like best!

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I'm somewhat new to EMTWL so I'm not sure what to do here.

Should I aim for consistency and try to eat my cut every day. Or should I cycle/zig-zag the calories, as in eating some days over cut and some days under (while making the weekly average of the daily amounts be my cut)?

The weekly calories stay the same in both cases, but the daily calories change.

Not sure what my body would like best!

If you're just starting out, consistency is key!

The zigzagging method, if I understand it correctly, is used more for losing the last stubborn pounds. Your goal right now should be to restore your metabolism so your body is able to work hard for you for the rest of your journey.

If you want to zigzag calories, it is usually preferred that you do several days at your cut and then one or two days per week at TDEE.
    For example, you can do 3 days low and one day high, or 6 days low and one day high.

Its also recommended that you take a diet break (at Tdee) every 4-6 weeks.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    If you want to zigzag calories, it is usually preferred that you do several days at your cut and then one or two days per week at TDEE.

Sounds good! I guess I'll choose my TDEE day during the weekend and be consistent all the other days. I'm somewhat doing that right now, as I'm trying to up my calories to TDEE sometimes (a mini-reset of sorts lol). As I keep progressing with EMTWL I will add some more zig-zagging.

If you're just starting out, consistency is key!

I agree! I have been so inconsistent with my poor body for so long... Thanks for the reply :)

edited: typos
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Calorie balance over time is what matters, whether you're eating the same about every day doesn't. Use whichever method you prefer.