Different states = different personalities???

Options
catherine4211
catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
I'm curious since I have only lived in California. The guy I'm "seeing" (and NO this is NOT about him) made a comment that made me wonder......he said he can't stand how the guys here (CA) talk about women. He's from Illinois and he says the men here talk awful about us. And this is coming from a guy. Do men in other states really treat women better?

Replies

• Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    In New York .. they suck @ss. lol
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well - seeing how I am from CA too
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There are good men and jerks in every state.

But yes, I think there are some parts of the country where women are held in higher esteem, just as a cultural norm, so you are more likely to meet men in those areas who don't talk about women like we're all *kitten* who can be bought and sold. In some places, you are viewed as more masculine if you talk about and treat women like a commodity. In other places, you are viewed as the scum of the earth for it.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I am sure men treat women differently in different areas. I think part of it is the women though. California girls have a reputation for being more shallow and high maintenance (no offense).
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I lived in AZ, TX, NC, OH, and MI all in the last 13 years and don't really think it's different except perhaps at the surface level. Guys in the south where I am now tend to be more polite in conversation but don't REALLY treat you any differently. That's really about the only difference I've noticed.

Maybe I need to move to Alaska... they might help me warm up ;)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a Southern guy. We're pretty awesome, but there are some tools in the sheds down here.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I have always been told Cali gals are superficial... however I have only met one in person and she was superficial, so I don't really know if this is true.
    Anyway the Twin Cities up here in Minnesota is very close to Wisconsin and the personalities of the woman are very different in my findings... The Wisconsin girls are really down to earth and the Minnesota ones (around the cities) are pretty high maintenance.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a Southern guy. We're pretty awesome, but there are some tools in the sheds down here.

I agree. Southern guys are yummy!!!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think location has a lot to do with perceived cultural norms and our personalities. I don't know that the behavior you describe is gender specific though. We're all a product of our environment to some extent.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I really think it's more of an urban/suburban/rural cultural thing, rather than state by state. It's a matter of lifestyle. Guys in NYC and LA are going to be similar, despite living on opposite coasts. Guys in rural parts of "fly over country" are similar due to shared experiences and culture. I've lived in Las Vegas, and I've lived in a tiny village (<100 people). The cultures are different, therefore the men/women are different. But Las Vegas wasn't substantially different from St. Louis, aside from the whole prostitution bit.

** disclaimer - prostitution is NOT legal in the counties of Clark or Washoe (cities of Las Vegas and Reno). However, the county line is NOT that far away. **
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I agree - there are jerks and nice people in every state and it would be impossible to generalize. I had never thought about it at all until he mentioned it because this is all I know. And for a guy to say he gets in and out of the gym as fast as possible because it makes him sick to hear the guys talking about women makes me think it really must be THAT bad.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I agree - there are jerks and nice people in every state and it would be impossible to generalize. I had never thought about it at all until he mentioned it because this is all I know. And for a guy to say he gets in and out of the gym as fast as possible because it makes him sick to hear the guys talking about women makes me think it really must be THAT bad.

Sounds like he needs to either find a new gym or keep the ear buds in :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i moved to CA and dating here so far sucks. I moved from nyc and had a better time with it. The mentality is definitely different, east coast guys try harder and look like they give a crap when they get dressed. cali guys, not so much. plus in my experience east coast guys are more gentlemanly than the guys i'm running into from here.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

I agree. Southern guys are yummy!!!!

FYI, Texas isn't South.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I consider it!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    In louisiana its a terrible awful no good bad situation.
  • mrmanmeat
    Options
    How do you know I was talking about Texas boiiii??

Because, I just know.
  • La_Amazona
    Options

Because, I just know.

You made me change my answer..

Well I consider it!
  • mrmanmeat
    Options

Because, I just know.

You made me change my answer..

Well I consider it!

It's not though. :D
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Every state has a different culture. I am not a fan of southern guys at all, I find most close minded when it comes to things like religion and politics.