BF% - how can this beeee?!

bsinno
bsinno Posts: 344 Member
a few online body fat calculators are saying my BF% is "obese" how is this possible?! i know i have some extra padding but OBESE?! somebody please talk me off the ledge...

Replies

• ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Step away from the ledge......

An online BF% says I'm 36% bodyfat which I know to be false. I have had it tested at two different gyms and I'm 30-31%. The problem with me is I have a very thick neck which gives me a false BF reading when it's done by a tape measure.

Can you go get your BF tested at a local YMCA?
  • bsinno
    arg. probably. hm, i wonder what constitutes as a thick neck...

im scale free this month, so naturally i'm searching for new ways to torture myself.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    My neck is somwhere between 13.5 and 14" thick so VERY thick. I curse my parents on a daily basis for that one! LOL!!!

And I know what you mean by torturing yourself...I look at the scale everyday knowing it won't be moving since I'm lifting and doing NROLFW. I come on here like somehow the weight will magically fall off from reading posts!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    For me...the tape measure is crap. It thinks im at 28% body fat....I assure you I am not at that level. I had it professionaly measure and I was above 40% ... *shudder* .... although I carry it very very well.
  • bsinno
    um...TWINS?!?! im friending you right now LOL.

my neck is 13 inches...so besides a big waist & hips, now i have to worry about neck size! hahaha.

i reread these posts and success stories everyday to talk myself out of going back down to 1200 "for just a few weeks!" hahaha.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    OH MY GAWD!!!

My neck is 14"...and I was so happy with that number, 'cause it was 15.5" when I started!!

SOB!!!

Stupid body fat percentages.
    I curse thee, neck!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Ignore the BF calculators! Get some calipers or get a personal trainer to do a BF percentage on you. The calculators say I'm overweight. And I wear a 6. They can SUCK IT!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    From what I can tell "obese" is over about 31% on females which is probably the case. That said you can't let that get to you....You are here to make changes.....Even if you are obese today you are here so you won't be tomorrow. Whether it is officially obese shouldn't matter...You are making changes to make your life better and are better off today than you were yesterday. Relish in that and take one day at a time in building a healthier you.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    dammit. i never knew i had a thick neck.

13.5 over here *raises hand*

it's probably disguised by my sizeable head.

i'm getting less and less attractive as i type, so i'll quit now.......
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I like what Jac has to say. You could either dwell on the fact that an online body calculator says you are obese right now, or you could focus on the fact that you only CARE because you're ready to NOT be obese anymore.

Online body fat calculators are a poor estimate at best, anyway. Especially for women.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Dang I have a tree trunk neck....18.5" :(
  • bsinno
    LOL over how this has morphed into a fat neck thread. :indifferent:

well one calculator said i was 39% (?!?@?!@?$#?@%?%) and another said i was 22.4% (do you hear those angels singing??)

for today i'll just choose to believe the latter and go on with my day!