How Can I Know My True BMR

PeachyPlum
PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
So, here's a (possibly stupid) question. Before I joined this group, I had used the Fat2Fit calculator to calculate my BMR and TDEE. I came up with 1230 for a BMR and 1730 for a TDEE.

Eventually, I got frustrated with using estimated numbers (I'm a statistician/engineer) and bought a Bodymedia Fit to get real numbers. It turned out that my TDEE is on average around 2250, and I burn 2000 calories sitting on my butt all day.

I'm now eating at a cut from my measured TDEE, but I'm wondering if it's possible that my BMR is higher than the estimated value as well. I guess I'm concerned that as I start getting into longer running distances, I may start netting below my BMR if it's higher than estimated.

Is that a crazy thing to think about?

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Some gyms have equipment to find out your true BMR or you can look into places that have a bod pod.

Or wait....that tells you your BF%....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    So, here's a (possibly stupid) question. Before I joined this group, I had used the Fat2Fit calculator to calculate my BMR and TDEE. I came up with 1230 for a BMR and 1730 for a TDEE.

Eventually, I got frustrated with using estimated numbers (I'm a statistician/engineer) and bought a Bodymedia Fit to get real numbers. It turned out that my TDEE is on average around 2250, and I burn 2000 calories sitting on my butt all day.

I'm now eating at a cut from my measured TDEE, but I'm wondering if it's possible that my BMR is higher than the estimated value as well. I guess I'm concerned that as I start getting into longer running distances, I may start netting below my BMR if it's higher than estimated.

The nice part about this is that if you make accurate tracking of your food intake (food scale, measuring devices), over the course of time you'll get a very good handle on your TDEE because you'll be able to compare your net intake with your change in bodyweight.

I would urge you to make your best efforts to estimate and beyond that, just let it go. You're never going to be able to micromanage it down to 2 figures and there's going to be so many variables that just "being close" is going to get you what you need to get out of it.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    I had my RMR tested by a professional. I had to fast and then was hooked up to a breathing tube device. Sorry, I'm not sure what it's called. Definitely worth the money.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member

The nice part about this is that if you make accurate tracking of your food intake (food scale, measuring devices), over the course of time you'll get a very good handle on your TDEE because you'll be able to compare your net intake with your change in bodyweight.

I would urge you to make your best efforts to estimate and beyond that, just let it go. You're never going to be able to micromanage it down to 2 figures and there's going to be so many variables that just "being close" is going to get you what you need to get out of it.

I agree with this. The calculators are there for people starting out, to get you in the ballpark. From there, it really is a science of tracking your body and how it responds to A) the Exercise and B) your food intake.

Once you know where you body needs to be you can make small adjustments moving forward to be at your goals.