Spartacus June Challenge

Options
amysj303
amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
I wanted to start the Spartacus workout, 3 days per week for the month of June. This is all I am going to do, well, in addition to the Burpee Challenge (on day 9 here).
The workout is here:
http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/#ixzz1x33OHwnN
All you need are handweights! it should take about 45 minutes by my estimate.
I just wanted to see if anyone else was interested...

Replies

• KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I only made it through two rounds!!!! It took me 45 minutes, including 14 burpees I used 5 pounds for the T-push-ups and row push-ups and then 10 pounds for the rest. I did not expect it to be so hard. Oh, for the t-push-ups you could totally do a cheat push up.- but what I did is put my hands next to my weights for the push-up, then grabbed the weight for the raise. I think holding the weights makes the push up way harder! When I go again on Wed, I will give myself more time to do all 3.
  • amysj303
    Options
    probably still good for keeping your heart rate up for 45 minutes, right?
    I agree you could do a regular pushup, holding the weights is harder, but a little easier on the wrists? I am getting pushups with the burpees, too.
    tonight I am going to try it without resting so much...
  • amysj303
    Options
    second time with Spartacus was more like 45 minutes. Tonight I have to complete it more quickly so I plan to do each exercise for 45 seconds, then rest 15 and start a new exercise each minute. I am going to work out in the gym so I can use varying weights.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    Options
    It was NOT any easier today. LOL. I stayed with the 1 minute and 30 second rests for the first two rounds. For the last round I did 2 minute rests. That included 24/31 burpees. I think I will add 7 more tomorrow.YUCK!
  • amysj303
    Options
    7 more burpees?
    Last night was a struggle for me too. I actually only got through 2 rounds. I was trying to do each exercise for 45 secs, rest 15 but I kept slipping and needing more rest so it took me 30 minutes to get through 2 rounds but my heart rate was up there and I was sweating. I am not used to the cardio at all.
    My sister got here, so I think it's just the burpees for me for a week...
  • EmIsabel
    EmIsabel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just tried Spartacus on Saturday!! I plan to continue doing it.

HOLY WOW. Think I definitely need a foam roller!!
  • amysj303
    Options
    I took a little break but planning on doing Spartacus tomorrow!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    Options
    I decided to take a break with you! I plan on getting back on board today. I'm going to keep doing three rounds for a minute because I think I will only do it twice this week. Next week I hope to get back to Mon, Wed, Fri. I dread this workout, but in a good way! :laugh:
  • EmIsabel
    Options
    My Hips and Glutes are still feeling it. I think I will try 2x a week for awhile then move up. I will do it again on Thursday .
  • KellyBgetsfit
    Options
    Great job, Emlsabel!

I did 2 rounds, 1 minute each station, except lunges/squats, I did 2 minutes, 15 sec rest. Awesome burn, but I couldn't do a third round!
    Oh, and 26 burpees. I'm so behind, I'm trying to catch up!
  • EmIsabel
    Options
    I ended up doing it Last night!! SO happy i did - It got rid of all my soreness!! I lowered each station to 50s though and did 10s rest. I was able to do all 3 rounds. It could just be in my head .. but I feel stronger already.

Which plan are you ladies following? Or which stage - I notice a LOT of Burpies being mentioned.
    I am currently on this (My step brother is a personal trainer and he just showed me the exercises to do and wrote them down for me)

This link is just one I Googled and has all the exercises that I'm doing:

[ http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=spartacus workout pdf&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFIQFjAA&url=http://www.starz.com/SiteCollectionImages/Spartacus2009/downloads/MH_Spartacus_Workout.pdf&ei=AcbhT-rUBaWH0QHf9eHvAw&usg=AFQjCNGDUfbIG0AYJqSZ0IBpq-dN3nrQqQ&cad=rja ]

and kclynch, Nice job on the lunge/squats!! 2 minutes - Awesome burn indeed!!!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Emi, the burpees are another thing-the 100 day burpee challenge. you do 1 burpee on day 1, 2 on day 2, and on the 100th day you do 100 burpees, if you miss a day you do that day's worth, then the current. I missed a few days, so I am just going to add 10 to every day this week...
    I am not sure what you mean about what stage?
    And, Emi, it sounds like you are in great shape!
  • EmIsabel
    Options
    Ahh, I see. I understand now. I thought maybe you ladies were at a higher level of Spartacus - That's what I meant by "stage" I was thinking burpies were incorporated later on, I was told there are 3 stages to Spartacus and the third is a Killer!.

I haven't done a burpie in ages.. Maybe I should do that Challenge too!

I'm getting there, asjerven! :)

Until March I was kickboxing 3-4 times a week. My muscles were always working and pretty strong. I am working towards that again just in a different setting and up to me to make the change.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I don't think there are three stages but I know there are at least 2 versions on Men's Health and another one on youtube that is a female. I don't know if I will try them, I think version 1 could challenge me for awhile!
  • EmIsabel
    Options
    Me too. I plan to stick to this one I'm doing for at least 6 weeks.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I have been slacking this week! Only doing the burpee challenge. I might try for a Spartacus workout Saturday, we'll see. Big party tonight, open bar, I might not be feeling up for it...
  • KellyBgetsfit
    Options
    I think I went to fast yesterday and pulled a muscle. I'm in a lot of pain from my right hip all the way down my leg! It hurts to stand and sit! :-(
  • amysj303
    Options
    ouch, KC, take care of yourself!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    Options
    Feeling better but I've been so busy, I haven't worked out. I have time to work out today and tomorrow so I'm going to do P90X, arms one day, legs the next. But hopefully I can get to Spartacus later this week!