2311% DRV of vitamin A?

Options
AmyzNewGroove
AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
Sorry this is sort of off topic but ya'll are the smartest foodies/healthy eaters that I know so I'm hoping someone can ease my mind. I'm taking in a ton of vitamin A. Im in the red ev-er-ey-day. Tomorrow's planned food equates to 2311% of the daily recommended value!! Not kidding (diary is open if you're curious :wink:) Is that excessive to the point it's harmful?

Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I would say that anything in excess can have its effects whatever they are ... can you see what you are eating that re high in it? Is there a reason you are watching it anyway?

:flowerforyou:
  • AmyzNewGroove
    Options
    No reason at all. My iPhone app tracks it automatically I guess. :)

So it was actually Friday that my food plan was that high in Vita A, and apparently the sweet potato I have planned is a vita A mega source! So I reduced the intake a bit. :) Other than that I eat lots of raw fruits/veggies whicy account for the
    majority of my vita A source...so that can't be too bad...right??
  • AmyzNewGroove
    Options
    :yawn: Good morning! Bump :wink:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Vit A in high dosages are teratogen.

So make sure you don't fall pregnant!
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Megadoses of vitamin A from animal sources and some supplements can carry negative health effects, but you are unlikely to encounter this unless you eat liver on a very regular basis.

Megadoses of vitamin A from plants is 100% safe. Go to town and enjoy your sweet potatoes!
  • AmyzNewGroove
    Options
    Megadoses of vitamin A from animal sources and some supplements can carry negative health effects, but you are unlikely to encounter this unless you eat liver on a very regular basis.

Megadoses of vitamin A from plants is 100% safe. Go to town and enjoy your sweet potatoes!

:sick: Liver, huh? Yeah...no worries there! Thanks for the info, that definitely eases my mind!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Your body will likely just expell anything you don't need. It looks like it's caused by the vitamins you are taking combined with the orange and red fruits/veggies you are eating. You may not need a vitamin if you are eating so healthy. Check the type of vitamin you are taking - it should list your DV% for each vitamin.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Your body will likely just expell anything you don't need. It looks like it's caused by the vitamins you are taking combined with the orange and red fruits/veggies you are eating. You may not need a vitamin if you are eating so healthy. Check the type of vitamin you are taking - it should list your DV% for each vitamin.

Unfortuanantely that is not entirely true. Water soluable vitamins (vit. C and B vitamins) will be expelled within 12 hours in most peoples urine. Fat soluable vitamins (vit. A, vit. D, vit. E for example) don't leave the body so easily. High doses of bio active vitamin A (retinoid form) have been linked to diseases like lung cancer since it builds up in the tissues. Retinoid vitamin A is made in the liver so it is only found in foods from animal tissue or suppliments. The other main form are the carotenoids and they are found in plants like sweet potatoes. They are not bio active which means that when they get into the body they are inert. They will get actived by the liver when needed but otherwise are stored. Eating an excess amount has no negative impact on health for most people. In fact, some people have eaten so much beta carotene to turn there skin orange and it still has no negative effect (aside from the bad self-tanner look :D).

If most of your vitmin A is from veggies there is no need to fear. If it is coming from a suppliment, check to see if the suppliment uses the retinoid or carotenoid form. If you are getting plenty of vitamin A from your diet there is no need for a suppliment and you may save a few bucks dropping it from your diet. Maybe purchase a few more sweet potatoes? :D
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Unfortuanantely that is not entirely true. Water soluable vitamins (vit. C and B vitamins) will be expelled within 12 hours in most peoples urine. Fat soluable vitamins (vit. A, vit. D, vit. E for example) don't leave the body so easily. High doses of bio active vitamin A (retinoid form) have been linked to diseases like lung cancer since it builds up in the tissues. Retinoid vitamin A is made in the liver so it is only found in foods from animal tissue or suppliments. The other main form are the carotenoids and they are found in plants like sweet potatoes. They are not bio active which means that when they get into the body they are inert. They will get actived by the liver when needed but otherwise are stored. Eating an excess amount has no negative impact on health for most people. In fact, some people have eaten so much beta carotene to turn there skin orange and it still has no negative effect (aside from the bad self-tanner look :D).

If most of your vitmin A is from veggies there is no need to fear. If it is coming from a suppliment, check to see if the suppliment uses the retinoid or carotenoid form. If you are getting plenty of vitamin A from your diet there is no need for a suppliment and you may save a few bucks dropping it from your diet. Maybe purchase a few more sweet potatoes? :D

Thanks for all this good info on how the body keeps/gets rid of the excess. It was very informative for me! :)
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Thanks for all this good info on how the body keeps/gets rid of the excess. It was very informative for me! :)

I'm glad to help :)