lettuce anyone>>>

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
almost 3 months post op....do you think I can eat lettuce yet, I really want to try but am soooo afraid too.....your 2 cents would be worth a million bucks at this point.

mary

Replies

• tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    From what I've been told by members in my surgical group here, most who have the RNY are unable to eat the lettuce because it is too rough on the pouch and does not digest well, but one lady suggested spinach, because it is milder and digests better. I haven't been brave enough to try it.
    I have enough problems with beef. Unfortunately that is one thing I can't eat, I am in such agony even from just a small piece that it's not worth it to me. I can do ground turkey and chicken just fine along with fish, but no beef.
    Let me know how it works for you if you try the lettuce.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am two months out and I eat it. I don't eat a huge bowl of it...maybe a small handful, but it goes down really well for me. I make sure I chew it very thoroughly though. I also use the more tender type lettuce...like the butter lettuce.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    From what I've been told by members in my surgical group here, most who have the RNY are unable to eat the lettuce because it is too rough on the pouch and does not digest well, but one lady suggested spinach, because it is milder and digests better. I haven't been brave enough to try it.
    I have enough problems with beef. Unfortunately that is one thing I can't eat, I am in such agony even from just a small piece that it's not worth it to me. I can do ground turkey and chicken just fine along with fish, but no beef.
    Let me know how it works for you if you try the lettuce.

Its so funny how we are all different as individuals as to what we can and cannot eat. For instance, chicken and eggs are NOT my friends. They both cause me terrible pain, nausea and 'foamies'. But beef....I can do that very well. I chew it to death...but it goes down easy with no trouble. Seafood is also my friend. I really hope eventually chicken and I get along again since I really do love it. Every now and then I try a piece to check :)
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me know lettuce until after my 3 month check up and I didn't try it until after that. He also told me not to do iceberg lettuce because it had little nutritional value to it, but to eat baby spinach and romaine that type, so if you are only 2 months out, and my memory may be wrong on the number of months you said, I would wait another month or two.

The first year after I had surgery I could not eat chicken at all and really only seafood and ground meat (beef, lamb, bison, and chicken were staple meat items) with some type of gravy or sauce on it. Now I can eat chicken fine as long as it is not overcooked.
  • Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    I am 8 months out. Started eating lettuce around 5 months out. It doesn't bother me any.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmm... I cannot remember when I started eating lettuce again. I'm almost 4 years out from RNY and could eat pretty much everything after about the one-year mark.
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oops I'm a little scared now as I have been eating salads for two weeks now with no problems and I'm 6 weeks out. I guess every person must be different and my doctor and nutritionist said nothing about eating lettuce so I just did it. My nutritionist told me at 4 weeks to eat more vegetables so that's when I started with salads.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Lettuce is a go for me....I had my first try this past sunday at the church picnic, love love love a good veggie filled salad with a bit of ranch and a bit of italian....love it and it went down nice and smooth with no after effects...again today I had a bit for dinner, I have only tried the iceburg but since it is working well I will go buy the spring mix and spinach varieties.....I only eat about a 1/4 a cup and the dressings give me the fats I need, I cna also eat nuts...I bought the plantars mix of heart healthy, and grab a few here and there, they fill me up fast and a 1/4 cup serving lasts me the whole day or shift at work, so that is good.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had a LOT of constipation issues until salads were allowed back on my diet at my 2 month check. We are allowed them in moderation because protein still has to come first. I do not have the same constipation issues anymore!! Yipee!!
  • acrealizm
    acrealizm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    At first I couldn't eat lettuce, but I realized I wasn't cutting it up small enough. Now, when I eat salad I spend more time cutting it than I do eating it. Dressing helps a lot, but watch for calories too. Try a low cal/fat free dressing....I've noticed that it goes down easier when the salad is somewhat drenched.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I ate lettuce at 2 months out and I was fine. I did a romaine and chopped it up really small and made sure to chew really well. Added a little bit of avocado and ranch dressing I made using greek yogurt and a ranch seasoning packet. So yummy. I had no problems.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I actually don't eat lettuce since i'm allergic to it, but I haven't had any problems with spinach
  • Reba723
    Reba723 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with lettuce in a salad, but I can't eat it on a sandwich. Of course, I can't really eat the bread either, so, there's that. Also, I have a hard time with chicken UNLESS IT'S ON A SALAD. In fact, I can put almost anything on a salad, and it goes down just fine. I have a hard time with beef, but I can eat almost any shrimp.