My Bodymedia Fit - 1st days feedback...

Options
KarinFit4Life
KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
:noway:

Okay...I'm sooo shocked. Here I was, really stressing that I was over estimating my TDEE and here I have it that I'm way under estimating!!

So to break it down...I wore the BMF from 12h00pm to 6am this morning.
They work from midnight to midnight...so that means they estimated my burn for the first 12 hours....they do that on the Sedentary Level. (which Im actually okay with as I was mostly sedentary then)
The other 12 hours I had it on the whole time, except 10min for a shower.

Here's my breakdown... (the right hand column is my actual numbers, left is the goal numbers)

7347599470_741acb1b05_z.jpg
Bodymedia Fit 7 June '12 by KarinMeyer, on Flickr

What I actually wanted to make a point about was my Workouts that it tracked.
It was REALLY accurate with the time that I spent doing them!
About 53min in total that I did my NROLFW workout including my 10min warmup on the treadmill...dead on!
Then at home 45min on the treadmill again...dead on!
So I'm very impressed with that accuracy actually. It gave me about 250 calorie burn for the warm up and workout (NROLFW) and then 281 calories burned for my treadmill workout. (531 calories from exercise)
I think thats pretty accurate, might be a bit off on the weight lifting, but I dont think by much.

Now about that TDEE.... huh. I'm worried.
Yes I know its still the first day, and yes I will now wait 7 days for a full report and average then.
But.... even if I subtract 10% from there for possible error (although they worked on sedentary while I was not wearing it) it STILL gives me a higher TDEE than I thought! I thought I was at about 2100TDEE and with a 10% deduction it will still be 2440TDEE... !
That makes my deficit way too large right?!

I dont workout every day like yesterday, but at least 3 times a week like that. The other days, like today will be at least 300 calories burned though. So the numbers still remain high.

Now someone please explain to me...with that big defecit why on earth arent I skinny as hell!!??! LOL
Okay I know a big decifit is counter active... but still, so unfair. :grumble:

Anywho - I thought this is interesting enough to share as I know there are lots of people wondering about the BMF.
I'll post another update in 7 days to see whats what! :smile:

Replies

• donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    Wow. Can't wait to see your 7 day update. I am afraid that is happening to me as well. Underestimating my TDEE and thereby not eating enough.....oh....if only I had a BMF :)
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that it gives you so much info! Im sure you will get your numbers figured out. All I can tell you is this, don't stress to much over the EXACT number. I've been lifting for 3 weeks, and I was running too, but im cutting it down due to possible overstraining, and I have been eating 2100-2400 calories a day. Im MUCH more sedentary than I was before weight lifting began. I got the scale out a couple days ago( even though I wasn't supposed to), and I've LOST almost a pound. I've been going by n.r.o.l.w. calorie guidelines, and over a little. I felt like I was gaining, but im NOT! If you're trying to build muscle, your body will appreciate a few extra calories!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    This totally happened to me - I always used calculators assuming I was sedentary so coming out with a TDEE around 2000 (I don't remember the exact numbers) got my BMF and WOAH was I off!!!! The readings were 2600 - 3000 calories A DAY!!!

WHOOPS!!!

Adding into the mix that I was unenlightened and consuming 1200-1400 calories a day it became pretty obvious what had been going wrong for me!

I am about 5 weeks (?) maybe 6 into EMTWL and let me tell you I had forgotten what it felt like to feed your body! No more starving and bingeing over here!!

I'm now consuming at least 2000 calories a day and feeling much better. In a week or two I think I will eat all the way up to TDEE for a solid 2 weeks just to fully reset my metabolism, and I can do this safe in the knowledge that the BMF is pretty darn accurate!

These things should be given out by doctors before people start considering weight loss surgery!!
  • listabit
    listabit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same experience with my BMF. I've had it for about 2 weeks. My average burn is 2700. I was in a deficit of at least 1000 calories most of the time. There were many times when it had to have been much higher based on more strenuous workouts. NEVER LOST WEIGHT!

I have been trying to increase to eat at my 15% cut. It's a lot of food, but feels ok. I think I need to do a reset, but am so afraid of what my body would do with 2700 calories. Doesn't this kind of prove I need a reset? Truly, isn't it true that I should be able to eat 2700 calories and not gain? I'm in awe of what I have been doing to my body in the name of trying to get healthy. All messed up!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    You guys are SO right! I'm actually feeling much more confident in upping my calories now a bit. I think the rest of the week my calories might not be so high (their estimate part might have influenced it, we will see), but I know now that I am not underestimating at least.
    And doing weight lifting and C25K is burning some nice calories up. So I need to fuel my body!!
    Very excited to see my average after 7 days.

Oh I found this site and thought it was very cool that the guys on there agree with our EMTWL beliefs! :happy:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141565561&page=1
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Is it noticeable when wearing it? Or can you find a way to hide it under clothes?
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Same thing here...I average between 2500-3200 on mine per day, depending. All this time I thought I just had a super slow metabolism and had to starve to lose weight, so I kept cutting and cutting until my NET was 200.

Turns out I burn way more than I thought and my body just held on for dear life to every crumb I fed it!

So glad to have found this group! I am at the moment maintaining at 1800..going to give it until Saturday before upping again to 2000 and see where that gets me!

Bradthemedic.... it is noticeable if you wear super short sleeves, but most of the time, I can hide it under clothes. Its a little tougher for me, being a female though, because most of our shirts automatically have shorter sleeves to begin with! After awhile, you forget its there though, noticeable or not!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    Its noticeable yes if you wear a short sleeved shirt that's sleeves arent longish...the armband sits about midway on your upper arm. So if you wear a shirt that has short sleeves coming close to the bend of your arm I think it will be hidden. And when wearing a tight fitting shirt it will be obvious too of course.
    It doesnt bother me actually, it shows my dedication to my journey and people are always very interested. Think BMF gets real good advertising, hehe.
    I know the Core version is a bit smaller and slimmer, just more expensive.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Is it noticeable when wearing it? Or can you find a way to hide it under clothes?

It'll hide under a normal guys t-shirt (my husband borrowed mine for a day just to check it out). But shorter sleeved tees on women don't cover it - it has to be a normal tee. I sits on your upper arm.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

It'll hide under a normal guys t-shirt (my husband borrowed mine for a day just to check it out). But shorter sleeved tees on women don't cover it - it has to be a normal tee. I sits on your upper arm.

If someone asks about it, just tell them "The judge made me wear it, or I would be in jail" and watch the look on their face hahahah
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    WOW, thanks for posting! I really appreciate being able to see your screen for the read outs. I can't wait to get mine!
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Options
    Looking into one of these, would love to have some accurate data.

So with this, you dont need to have a HRM, because this does it through the skin or w.e?
    How do you think the accuracy is?
    It calculates TDEE etc?

Almost seems a wiser choice to get this than, for $170 or w.e, compared to atleast $100 for a decent HRM anyways, seems like an easy choice? lol
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Looking into one of these, would love to have some accurate data.

So with this, you dont need to have a HRM, because this does it through the skin or w.e?
    How do you think the accuracy is?
    It calculates TDEE etc?

Almost seems a wiser choice to get this than, for $170 or w.e, compared to atleast $100 for a decent HRM anyways, seems like an easy choice? lol

Here's the result study of the accuracy for the BMF:

The BodyMedia FIT System has been Clinically Proven to Accurately Measure the Amount of Physical Activity and Calories

A recent independent study tested our Armband system in real-life situations. Participants engaged in "free living" activities, including brisk walking, running, bicycling, sedentary activities, home activities, home repair, occupational activities, strength training, and ball games. The study compared the armband to a $40,000 "portable oxygen analyzer", the gold standard for measuring calories. Results showed:

Total Calories for free living activities: mean error <10%.
    Total Minutes of exercise: mean error <5%.

Source: British Journal of Sports Medicine. July 2008.

One of the things I've seen regarding calories burned for longer Cardio burns is that the longer the workout, the less accurate it gets, so if you are a long runner, or do long cardio burns, that's where a HRM might be slightly more effective. (I'm not positive about this though)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I was shocked too after the first few days by how low I had estimated my TDEE to be.

The Fat2Fit site had estimated it at 2139 and with a 20% cut, I was eating 1700 calories a day, thinking I was doing just fine. Then I got my BMF and found that my TDEE was anywhere between 2800-3000 based on how active I was that day. SHOCKING!!! I was seriously still undereating, even when I thought I was eating a lot.

Something to keep in mind....after your first month wearing your BMF, don't be surprised if you notice your TDEE going down a little bit. Once it becomes more acclamated to you and your activity level, you may see your TDEE go down a little bit. Mine now estimates my TDEE between 2600-2900, depending on how active I am.
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    I was shocked too after the first few days by how low I had estimated my TDEE to be.

The Fat2Fit site had estimated it at 2139 and with a 20% cut, I was eating 1700 calories a day, thinking I was doing just fine. Then I got my BMF and found that my TDEE was anywhere between 2800-3000 based on how active I was that day. SHOCKING!!! I was seriously still undereating, even when I thought I was eating a lot.

Something to keep in mind....after your first month wearing your BMF, don't be surprised if you notice your TDEE going down a little bit. Once it becomes more acclamated to you and your activity level, you may see your TDEE go down a little bit. Mine now estimates my TDEE between 2600-2900, depending on how active I am.

Thank you! Thats good to know!
    Have you lost weight thus far after u started using it?
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

Thank you! Thats good to know!
    Have you lost weight thus far after u started using it?

Yep, I attribute most of my recent success to my BMF. When I started in this group, I got stuck losing/gaining the same 2 pounds and I had to keep increasing my calories to finally get out that rut. Then when I got my BMF, I realized it was because I still wasn't eating enough. The BMF confirmed for me that the online calculators were underestimating my TDEE. Now that I eat between 2000-2100 calories per day, I'm seeing a loss of about .5 to 1 pound a week.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options

When I first got the FitBit, the first few weeks I was **very** aware of the device and how active I was and made sure I walked and did LOTS of activity. After about three weeks, I didn't exactly lose interest, but it wasn't quite the novelty it was at first, so my numbers went down a little to a probably more "normal" amount of daily TDEE for me. By the fourth week I forgot to put it on a couple days. LOL
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options

It isn't really visible to others as long as your sleeves go past your mid-upper arm. However, I do "feel" it throughout the day. Sometimes I have to move it around a little bit on my arm to make it more comfortable. Overall it's a great device and I absolutely love mine!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Options
    So my second days figure shows that the 10% deduction for error in estimation on day 1 was more or less true.
    First day - 2718
    Second day - 2400
    Still more than my scooby average, but apparently the BMF takes a week or so to adjust to you individually.
    Very curious to see my 7 day average! :happy:
    The info I get back from every day (and night!) is absolutely amazing. Loving it so far!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Do you have to wear it 24/7 for it to be accurate? (meaning even when you aren't exercising and/or when you're sleeping etc?)