Do I need to do the reset?

himel13
himel13 Posts: 146 Member
Hi everyone!
In an attempt to break my 7 month plateau, I upped my calories from 1320 to 1570 (my maintenance cals according to MFP) for 6 weeks. I then ate back my exercise calories and averaged around 1650 cals/day (just food) or 1540/day (after exercise) for these 6 weeks

I just read about TDEE and did the Scooby calculation. It turns out that 1650 cals is my TDEE - 10% cut. and 1540 (without eating exercise calories back) is TDEE-15% cut.

I've only lost and gained the same 1/2 pound in the last six weeks. My question now is, should I eat at my TDEE (do the reset) for a few weeks, or have I upped my calories enough? For the last few days I've been trying to eat 1540 calories without eating back my exercise calories and have found that I get too hungry and end up binging.

Any advice is welcome..I'm uncertain about what to do. The thought of being able to eat 1800 calories a day is really exciting, but I'll eventually have to make the cut if I want to lose weight, so I'm wondering if now is the time!

Replies

• Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Welcome to the group :)

The mods will want you to post your age, weight, height and activity level to make a calorie recommendation.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I think you sound like a good candidate for a reset!
  • himel13
    Thanks for replying! I'll put my stats here..could really use the advice!
    CW: 130 pounds
    Height: 5'1"
    Activity level: Light (I'm currently doing the Hip Hop Abs program, which is about half an hour, 6 days a week)

So, reset or just try harder to stick to TDEE-15%?
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Thanks for replying! I'll put my stats here..could really use the advice!
    CW: 130 pounds
    Height: 5'1"
    Activity level: Light (I'm currently doing the Hip Hop Abs program, which is about half an hour, 6 days a week)

So, reset or just try harder to stick to TDEE-15%?

Based on your stats your numbers are as follows:

BMR: 1369
    TDEE: 1883
    TDEE - 10%: 1694

I'd say based on your stall and your binging, that going up to a full reset would be the way to go. Eat your TDEE amount for 8 weeks (be as consistent as possible), then drop to a 10% deficit at first (we want to curb the binging and keep you as consistent as possible once you drop into a deficit so smaller deficits will help with that). Once you find you stall again at 10%, then try dropping another 5% (or you can take a diet break, go back up to tdee for a week and come back to your 10% cut instead).

Doing the reset should help get you stabilized in your eating patterns and get your body ready to lose at a smaller deficit.
  • himel13
    Thanks for the reply!! I've done proper measurements and upped my calories accordingly..have started the Reset and am very excited!!