Took a big step today

Options
Good morning everyone

I took myself to the doctors this morning and asked them for help. I know that my binge eating problems most likely extend from depression and social anxiety, and I have known that for a while, but I have put off going to get help and admitting to the extent of my problems out of embarrassment, and have instead tried everything possible to deal with it myself. I have now run out of options. I have read every book and website I can find, I have found a healthy diet that I know should be working, and I desperately do not want to carry on as I am, but nothing is working and I am just getting worse. So, I spent half an hour explaining everything to a doctor at my surgery this morning, and they have prescribed me Citalopram and referred me for counselling. I suppose I knew that it was what I needed but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, and I must admit that I nearly backed out when I first walked into the room and he asked me to explain the problem. But I did it, I got through it, and I'm committed to putting in the effort to make this work. I'm not going to log my food for the time being as I know it's going to take a while for any of this to work and I don't want to further depress myself, but I am still going to try my best to stick to my healthy eating plan. Thank you all for your kind words, I will still come on here to try to keep up my motivation, but I'm going to try to relax with myself and give these tablets and counselling a chance to work. I guess I joined here as a last attempt, and on realising that I couldn't even keep the binges at bay when logging everything I ate for everyone on here to see I knew I needed some help. Fingers crossed I'll be back logging in a few weeks time and losing some weight steadily. Good luck to all of you also, your strength, courage and support are amazing.

Replies

• wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    I've been where you are.
    There is a way out.
    I'm happy you have a plan. Come back and let us know how you are doing.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I would still continue to log unless the recommend otherwise You have made a wise choice :flowerforyou:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    That is a big step. Good for you! I know what my main issues are, stress eating, boredom, any little emotion will set me into binging. I"m trying to finally gain some control over it but it's very challenging
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    Im so very proud of you. This is such a hard step I know because i keep trying to take it but end up wimping out. Stick to what the docter reccomends unless your gut tells you other wise. You are a motivation
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your plan. I'm glad you decided to expand your support team. Although this big step may have been hard, I believe you will soon see that you have made a great decision. I wish you every success and hope you feel better soon. :)