Post-Surgery Desert ideas

Options
Thesoundofwolf
Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
So my roommate's birthday is coming up, and I want to make her a cake.
She just had gastric by pass in March- is handling most semi-solid foods/raw fruits well, thus why I posted/asking here!

Thoughts?
Tips?
Recommendations?

Anything goes!

Replies

• tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months out also and I can do Angel Food cake with strawberries and a little bit of homemade whipped cream. Also sugar free items won't give her the possible dumping syndrome that regular items with sugar will. If you put in a search for sugar free or bariatric desserts it should pull up some good websites to look at for it.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for sugar free chocolate cake that wasn't too bad. It was made for my BIL's birthday so I could have a piece of cake.

Here's the facts:Sugar-Free Chocolate cake, 1 serving(s) 193- cal 22-cabs 11-fat 5-protein 2-fiber 2-sugar.

It was pretty tasty but you have to be careful it doesn't dry out while in the oven. However, every sugar free frosting/icing I tried to make was a bomb - so I made regular sugar frosting (on the side) and I ate my piece frosting-less. I think the cake recipe is actually on line.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    check out the blog The World According to Eggface (just google it). She has lots of WLS friendly recipes there including protein ice cream and cakes or muffins. I use her site quite a bit for recipe ideas :)
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is not a cake but there is a boxed brownie that I have found very satisfying when I think I need sweet. It is called No Pudge Fudge Brownie Mix, it is in a pink box and I bought mine at Krogers, you can also fix just a single serving of it, which is wonderful for me.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be perfectly honest with you -- if someone had offered to make me a cake just after I'd had my surgery, I would have been a little bothered by it.

not that the thought isn't genuinely sweet and generous.. but there I was, going through this MAJOR SURGERY to get my weight under control.. and you want to give me cake?

That's not even mentioning how our tastebuds change after surgery. Until about a year out (and even now, to a certain degree), foods I had always loved suddenly weren't all that appealing to me. It was even to the point that just thinking about some of them was so unappealing, it would actually make me nauseous.. (this happened with muffins.. I used to LOVE them.. now.. eh.. not so much).

I understand you wanting to surprise your roommate.. and I really think it's sweet of you to do so.. but maybe she would appreciate if you ask her what she would like.. tell her you don't want to be insensitive to the challenge she's undertaken.. but you want to do something nice for her for her birthday. Maybe she doesn't even WANT food to celebrate with. Maybe she'll want you to take her to the Zoo for the day instead?

Just a thought..

Good luck!!
    Stef
  • juicep
    juicep Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with Stef, maybe a new tradition needs to be started. I had my bypass 9 months ago and although I wouldn't be insulted by a cake. I sure would appreciate something else...maybe a fresh fruit parfait or something healthy like that. I am trying to avoid temptation at every step. And it would be healthier new start to my next year by eating something other than what got me to my old problem.
    Just a thought
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of recipes on The World According to Eggface blog as well as on Bariatric Foodie blog. But like others have said (even for me being less than a month post op), cake and sweets really aren't so appealing anymore. And unless I made it myself, I wouldn't touch it. My friends and I have always made cakes for each other on our birthdays. I guess I'll have to start thinking of a new tradition as well...
  • jiacrist
    jiacrist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found a great idea for a birthday cake on a hospital's website under their bariatric surgery section. It said to use a Pillsbury sugar free cake mix. Add a can of diet coke instead of the oil and eggs and stuff and bake it as normal. For the icing you can use cool whip mixed with either sugar free jello or sugar free pudding for the flavoring. My friend actually made this for me and it is awesome. You could do it as a cake or cupcakes. Here is the website for their bariatric cookbook if you want to look at more recipes https://www.memorialmedical.com/Services/Bariatric-Services/Cookbook/Default.aspx
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If she likes chocolate pudding...jello sugar free chocolate pudding, a ready made graham cracker crust, and fat free/light cool whip.
    Unfortunately I cannot remember how far out I was the first time I ate this. I didn't have to worry about my birthday for 11 months after my surgery. However, I have a whole office full of people who just love to eat! lol!!