Logging exercise calories

Options
MaryinBflo
MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
So I like logging my exercise calories so I am still logging them but then logging a calorie reversal for the same number of calories that I burned in my exercise. This way I can still see the calories burned but because those calories are worked into the # of calories I'm eating I don't want to add them in again.

Replies

• momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I went with no exercise when figuring out my calorie intake for each day and then I still add my exercise. So today I was at 1212 without exercise but burned 700 calories in exercise so i will end up eating 1912- just my way of doing it
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I went with no exercise when figuring out my calorie intake for each day and then I still add my exercise. So today I was at 1212 without exercise but burned 700 calories in exercise so i will end up eating 1912- just my way of doing it

Yeah that was another way to try it then you still have motivation to burn those calories when you workout! We'll see how it works for us doign it both ways!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I do miss logging my exercise too. I have been pretty consistent about my walking five days a week so I decided to go with that number. If I start getting more active I will recalculate.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also like logging my exercises.

Here is what it gives me for "little/no exercise". I also included a brief plan of attack for my weekly exercising. Cardio will be mostly jogging 30 mins. Lift days will have under 20 mins of warm-up cardio (which will be monitored with HRM).

Thurs -1499 - lifting day
    Fri - 1320 - Cardio day
    Sat - 1799 - lifting day
    Sun - 1499 - rest day
    Mon -1349 - Cardio day
    Tue - 1649 - lifting day
    Wed -1499 - Cardio day

Weekly Goal - 10614

So with these numbers, the cardio days, I just log and eat the new daily goal?

So now, the problem I have is the lifting days. MFP does not account for calories from lifting weights, however, I would think I should up my calories on the 3 days I lift as well, but to how much?

With that said, maybe I should use the 3times/wk calculation to account for the 3 days I know I will be lifting and if I do cardio I still have wiggle room to log the calories burned and eat some back. I am following the New Rules of Lift for Women plan, starting with Phase 1 so I know I will at least be lifting 3 times.

Here are those numbers for 3x/wk.

T - 1717 - lift day
    W - 1374 - cardio
    Th - 2061 - lift day
    F - 1717 - cardio
    S - 1889 - lift day
    Su - 1546 - rest day
    M - 1717 - cardio

Weekly Goal 12021cals

The difference between the two Weekly Total is about 1400 cals without extra cals added.

Thoughts?

Would the first calculation be enough food on the days I lift? I will be logging the warm-up cardio and any of cardio I may do with my HRM, which will bump up the numbers.

I just want to make sure I am eating enough to fuel my body.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Cbart - what are you doing now and have you seen results? You can log weight lifting in cardio and it will give you calories burned. I would use your HRM to log those numbers. If your using the little to no exercise to get your daily calories - I would definitely add some back in. I haven't been good at weight training lately so I only did my cardio - but will change that if I start being more consistent at working the weights again.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Cbart - what are you doing now and have you seen results? You can log weight lifting in cardio and it will give you calories burned. I would use your HRM to log those numbers. If your using the little to no exercise to get your daily calories - I would definitely add some back in. I haven't been good at weight training lately so I only did my cardio - but will change that if I start being more consistent at working the weights again.

I actually missed a crucial part of my lifting program, that I just read... oops. It doesn't want me cutting calories for about 4 weeks. Since I have never lifted heavy weights before, I suppose it is in my best interest to follow the first 4 week recommendation then go from there.

I still like the zig zag approach so I may try incorporating this somehow but still keep my cals high enough to what the program recommends.

Good luck to everyone!!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Main. Fat loss Extreme FL
    Monday 1515 1212 1072
    Tuesday 1212 1072 1072
    Wednesday 1818 1455 1287
    Thursday 1515 1212 1072
    Friday 1364 1091 1072
    Saturday 1667 1334 1180
    Sunday 1515 1212 1072

I am going with fat loss so my WEEKLY calorie intake will be: 8588
    MFP has me set at 9450 right now so that's almost 100 less calories a week . . .
    I will log my exercise calories seperately
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I actually missed a crucial part of my lifting program, that I just read... oops. It doesn't want me cutting calories for about 4 weeks. Since I have never lifted heavy weights before, I suppose it is in my best interest to follow the first 4 week recommendation then go from there.

I still like the zig zag approach so I may try incorporating this somehow but still keep my cals high enough to what the program recommends.

Good luck to everyone!!

You can pick whatever calorie level you want to use, and make your own zig zag chart. Someone posted the formula in the other thread. If A = your average daily cals (weekly cals / 7), then the chart goes:
    Day 1: A
    Day 2: A * 0.8 =[Avg - 20%]
    Day 3: A * 1.2 =[Avg + 20%]
    Day 4: A
    Day 5: A * 0.9 =[Avg - 10%]
    Day 6: A * 1.1 =[Avg + 10%]
    Day 7: A

So, if you want to keep your weekly total at 9450, that's 9450/7 = 1350/day, so the chart would be:

I think the day where you lower it by 20% is too low for many of us, going below the 1200 magic number. I was thinking of making a chart where you use 15% instead of 20%, or maybe lowering by 10% on 2 days instead of 20% all on one day.