What it is - The No S way of living

Options
MJ7910
MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
http://www.nosdiet.com/

The No S Diet, also known as the "Grandma Diet," the "Why Didn't I Think of that Diet," and the "No $ Diet" is a program of systematic moderation I invented for myself that I imagine might work for similarly minded people.

No funny science or calorie accounting involved, just a few simple and mnemonic tricks for building sustainably "good enough" eating habits.

There are just three rules and one exception:

•No Snacks
•No Sweets
•No Seconds
Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

That's it.

Do that and you'll probably lose most if not all of your excess weight. For subtle pyschological reasons I go into below, you'll probably start eating better as well as less. And you'll enjoy eating a whole lot more.

How could something this simple possibly work? Precisely because it's simple -- or rather, following the Einsteinian dictum, "as simple as possible, but not simpler." For all its folksy charm, there's a lot of serious, practical wisdom packed into those 14 words. Read on if you need more convincing...

Please check out the webpage for more... www.nosdiet.com

Note, the OP did not invent this diet. It has been a part of Binge Eating Support groups and Overeaters Anonymous support groups for quite some time.

Replies

• Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying this! I'm not sure about the no snack thing, does that mean you have more calories at each meal (obvious question)? I'm going to follow this mantra the best I can but might have to sneak in something sweet once in awhile at night (hopefully some fruit or yogurt will do!). This will be a good thing to keep in mind :smile:
  • MJ7910
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying this! I'm not sure about the no snack thing, does that mean you have more calories at each meal (obvious question)? I'm going to follow this mantra the best I can but might have to sneak in something sweet once in awhile at night (hopefully some fruit or yogurt will do!). This will be a good thing to keep in mind :smile:

yes, your 3 meals can be based on whatever you think is good for you to be getting. For me, breakfast is 400-500, lunch about 600 because I need a little more midday, and dinner about 400. this will put me about 1400-1600 if i do it right. Just do what is right for you. The idea is that snacking can cause binging for people, sweets can cause binging, seconds can cause binging. This is an attempt to break that cycle. And you don't feel deprived because you do get to do these things on a few days a week.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Very recently this is how I have decided to eat, not because I read it but because it seemed like the "easy option" long term .... I dont like the idea of having to cal count for the rest of my life so I need something that I can do day to day without the long thought process of weighing of everything I eat, and timing every walk/run I do ...........

Im sure others feel the same way ..........
  • MJ7910
    Options
    this is why i like this idea. i know what i should be eating, i know what is junk. i know it is not realistic to be carrying a computer around with me, calorie counting for the rest of my life. i came across this idea and it makes a lot of sense to me. i can't always be thinking about meal planning, i can just do the best i can. i can avoid my triggering foods for binges which are sweets and chocolate. i can have those things on the weekends in moderation. i can continue to exercise. if i do this, it should be pretty maintainable.
  • cearlywine40
    Options
    I am going to try this, I have stopped losing weight and i think this is why. So I am starting this tomorrow, I would start tonight but I am not eating anything else for tonight.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    I am going to try this, I have stopped losing weight and i think this is why. So I am starting this tomorrow, I would start tonight but I am not eating anything else for tonight.

good luck, you can do it!!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    That's very true. It's the sweets, seconds and snacks that lead to bingeing! This will so well with addressing the antecedent before the behavior...and hopefully eliminating it altogether. Thanks for starting this!
  • scrdofbugs
    scrdofbugs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am starting this today. I don't eat a ton of sweets but I eat tons of seconds. ;-)
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I looked through my diet over the last few weeks and I eat somewhere between 200 and 400 calories per day on snacks.

It was a bit of a struggle last night not to get up and get a snack while watching the late night movie, but I didn't! I feel really good about this plan.

I didn't used to be much for sweets, but lately I've been eating 100 calorie cookie/granola bars almost every day -- that can't be good.
    So I am thinking that this plan is just what I need. I'm sure this was the way I grew up as well. I wasn't much for snacking until I got married .... 25 years ago....

Love this idea!

It was very nice to sit down to table with family and friends and even coworkers at a picnic and eat a plate of food and be done. No need for sodas or cookies and no one thought it odd.