Lifing alone? Newbie questions

Options
zgdsmith
zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
Hi all!

I just got the book and i'm about 1/2 way through reading it. I'm planning on starting in a couple days. I'm really liking the book so far but i'm wondering if it's ok for me to lift alone. I don't have anyone to lift with and it's kind of intimidating doing this on my own but I think I will like it once I get started. So, my questions are: Do you lift alone? Is it ok to do this program by myself? Should I hire a trainer to get me started?

Currenly I do alot of strength training classes & cardio classes. So, doing something completely by myself will be a big change for me.

Any other tips you could give me I would greatly appriciate!
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• justjen0117
    Options
    I lift alone in my garage gym. BUT I've had a lot of classes in Olympic lifting and I feel like I'm able to do them alone. And if I'm doing a max lift, I make sure my husband is there just in case. Not all of the lifts are with the barbell - those with dumbells tend to be easier for me though.

If you've never lifted before, you could look on youtube for the correct form. Also practicing with a broom handle or long pvc pipe may be helpful until you get the feel of it. You could have someone at home compare your form so you know what it should feel like.

And start off S-L-O-W. Bad deadlift form + too much weight = recipe for disaster.

You'll get there!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be lifting at a gym? If so, you will be fine lifting without a partner. There are always people around that can give you a hand if you get in a pinch. The attendants aren't supposed to offer training advice, but they can help out if you're not sure how to adjust the equipment.

If you're lifting at home - be super careful, and lift in an area where it wouldn't be disastrous if you had to drop a fully loaded barbell from 2 feet up. For example, on padded mats your garage or basement.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I pretty much lift alone. There are a few girls at the Y that I convinced to do the program, but we're all on diff. schedules right now. I usually help spot another lady and she helps me lift my bar to load weight on it for deadlifts and stuff. I just watch a lot of videos and if I have a question, there are usually a couple of trainers around.
  • zgdsmith
    Options
    I will be lifting at the local Y. I've tried to convince friends of mine to do this program with me but no one wants to. I'm excited to start but a little intimidated. Ugh...I need to get over that!

I've been watching youtube video's alot to see what proper form should look like.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Lifting alone is preferable. I tried to get a gym partner earlier in my workouts but she just ended up being a liability, and we had to rack weights a lot more in between us. It feels better alone, like you can topple the world.

Not so much with a partner who can also topple the world.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated! Just go in there and do your thing. Everyone was new to lifting once. I lift alone and I like it that way. I watched a lot of you tube before I even stepped in the free weights room when I started NROLFW. You can do it!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I lift alone. I couldn't find a single woman who was remotely interested in following the program with me), which I found baffling......I mean, gain strength AND improve physique...what's not to like?!?! My first trip to the gym I chickened out. There are no attendees or trainers at the gym I go to (I've literally been the only person in the gym for hours at a time), so I decided to focus on form at home first. When I'm comfortable in that and ready to move past the weight I have at home I'll attempt to lift at the gym again. I also decided to start pretty slowly, using just 8lb dumbbells for my first round. I think it's working out well though! I can tell you that I'm doing 2B tonight and I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the moves (and I'm definitely feeling the results in my quads and backside!)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    i lift home alone, it's fine at first, but once you get to heavier weights you might need help. I'm getting hubby to make me a power cage so that if i fail on a heavy squat i can drop it onto safety bars. And i need him to help me with dumbell bench presses now they're getting heavy, but i'm at stage 5 now, so you have a little time.

Def watch lots of you tube form videos, search for the mark rippletoe vids for a real pro.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I've just started the prog and I lift alone at the gym (the 2 times I've been so far no other women have even looked at the free weight section!). I had an induction and free PT session so I got the trainer to show me the machines/free weights section so I felt a lot more confident having an idea of what machine did what/how to change to weights ect
  • zgdsmith
    Options
    THANK YOU all so much for the feedback!!!!

I'm excited to get started and once I do it a few times I’m sure I’ll no longer be intimidated. I've been going to the Y for a while and I don't think I’ve ever seen a woman in the weight room section of the gym. So, I think that's why I’m intimidated but I’ll get over it when I feel confident with my form and what all the equipment is. I think the first time I go in i'll go late at night or early in the morning so it's not so crowded in the weight room.

I'm going to practice form at home a few times before trying with weights. I have no idea what amount of weight to start with. I'm assuming i'll just try something and see if i need more/less weight and go from there.

Thanks again...i'm off to watch more youtube videos on form! :love:

(feel free to friend request me...I could use some support)
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lift alone. I know at the my Y they are really helpful if you have questions about a certain exercise. I had my trainer go through all the moves with me to make sure my form was good initially. So maybe that can be something to look into? To just get you familiar with equipment.

I have seen plenty of girls at my gym lifting weights but I'm talking 5lbs, nothing heavy. They have that activtrax program that has some free weights but its all light. EVERY light. I did the strength test and it had me starting out so incredibly low, I said no thank you I have my own program.

Don't be afraid to use the resources and ask for help.