More than TDEE? When appropriate?

Quick question - In the sticky "Upping Cals - What to expect & why you need patience..." the author states "Often times a person needs to eat in a hypercaloric (surplus) or eucaloric (maintenance) state for some time...". How many people here have had to actually eat a surplus to get their metabolism back on track. Surplus meaning in excess, or more than TDEE. How will I know if I need to actually eat over my TDEE? I'm coming from a 1500 calorie/day background (last 6 months) and my TDEE is 3300 calories...I can't imagine eating that...I'd die if someone said I had to eat more than that for a couple months.

So anyone? Has anyone been forced to a hypercaloric state were they needed to overeat TDEE? If so, how did you know? Wife and I are both worried about this. Thanks!

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I think if you do a reset (eating at TDEE for 6-8 weeks), then do a 15% cut for another 6-8 weeks....if you aren't losing then, it might be appropriate to eat at a surplus.

Of course I don't think it would hurt to eat at a surplus now, as long as you are okay with gaining a little bit of wait knowing it will come off once you start to cut.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I'm not sure if you need to eat above TDEE, but you may need more time at TDEE. like 6 to 8 weeks maybe instead of 4.