Metabolism Reset-How Do You Know??

How do you know if a metabolism reset is the right move?

I started logging on MFP about 40 days ago. I realized then that I was eating pretty low calories without realizing it during the work-week. During the weekends, there is no telling what I was consuming. During a typical work day I probably consumed under 1200 calories...I did this for about a year and a half. But again, I wasn't logging, so there is no telling what was actually being consumed!

I am 5'5", 125 lbs., looking to shed some inches and get toned. Not concerned with what the scale says, just concerned with how my clothes fit and how I look.

I have a pretty sedentary job. According to my Fitbit, I burn about 1800-2000 calories in a day depending on whether or not I exercise. I am taking a little break from exercising right now, but hope to pick up lifting 3 days/week very soon.

So...my question is, do I eat at TDEE and do a full reset for a while, or do I eat at TDEE-10%? Do I need to do a reset?

Any advice is appreciated. You guys are the best!

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    To be honest, in the long term scheme of things, eating at full TDEE is NEVER a wrong move. Eating at full TDEE brings up the metabolism and help repair it, but also maintains it.

For me, once I get back into the groove of things and stop experimenting for the good of the group lol, I will be doing TDEE -20% for 5 weeks or so at a time, and then going back to TDEE maintenance for a week, then back to cut, and cycling like that.

For a full reset though, once at the start is always good. It never hurts (other than if you are coming from a VLCD you may gain water weight during this time due to increased carb intake - which is a good thing for energy levels).

I say go for it! Just know what to expect out of it. This is a long term lifestyle change, so any frustrations in the begging are worth it to those who stick with it.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    bump