New so be nice...

zsaoosh
zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
I am 5'6".5, 134 lbs, hips 37, waist 30, and per the bod pod I am 33.5% body fat. The bod pod says my BMR is 1134. I lift hard 3 times a week and loose around 200 cals during each cardio session 3 times a week as well. My body fat is REALLY high for my size and my BMR is really low so how do I get out of this skinny fat phase? I worked out hard and ate 1500-1700 cals a day for two months and my body fat only went down .2! Yep, that is it. I need help.

Replies

• bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    "The bod pod says my TDEE is 1134. "

whaaaaaaaaa?!?! that seems awfully low!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello,

Are you sure the bod pod did not give you your BMR and not your TDEE? TDEE is total daily energy expenditure.

Calculating from the Scooby calc, your stats would be as follows (i guessed on 28 years old)

BMR = 1364
    TDEE = 2114 at Moderate Activity Levels
    TDEE -15% cut target = 1797

So from the Calculators you would be eating 1797 calories to lose ~1lb a week.

Thanks,

Mike
  • zsaoosh
    I know, its because I am small but have a huge body fat %. So I guess my body doesnt need alot? I lost eating 1200 but everyone says its not healthy, but it might be for me since my BMR is so low. Yet I dont want to loose muscle cause that has to be an issue with my BF% too. AHHHH its so frustrating.
  • zsaoosh
    Hello,

Are you sure the bod pod did not give you your BMR and not your TDEE? TDEE is total daily energy expenditure.

Calculating from the Scooby calc, your stats would be as follows (i guessed on 28 years old)

BMR = 1364
    TDEE = 2114 at Moderate Activity Levels
    TDEE -15% cut target = 1797

So from the Calculators you would be eating 1797 calories to lose ~1lb a week.

Thanks,

Mike

SORRY yes BMR. My bad. But the scooby scale doesnt take into consideration that I am obese in the BF world.
  • fiveohmike
    I know, its because I am small but have a huge body fat %. So I guess my body doesnt need alot? I lost eating 1200 but everyone says its not healthy, but it might be for me since my TDEE is so low. Yet I dont want to loose muscle cause that has to be an issue with my BF% too. AHHHH its so frustrating.

Ya I am still skeptical of the bod pod showing your TDEE at 1200. That would mean your BMR is sub 600, and that's pretty much impossible.

I would check with the people you did the scan with to make sure they did not give you your BMR number as your TDEE.
  • zsaoosh
    I know, its because I am small but have a huge body fat %. So I guess my body doesnt need alot? I lost eating 1200 but everyone says its not healthy, but it might be for me since my TDEE is so low. Yet I dont want to loose muscle cause that has to be an issue with my BF% too. AHHHH its so frustrating.

Ya I am still skeptical of the bod pod showing your TDEE at 1200. That would mean your BMR is sub 600, and that's pretty much impossible.

I would check with the people you did the scan with to make sure they did not give you your BMR number as your TDEE.

I fixed it, my BMR is 1134.
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    You are at my goal weight! I currently weight 150 after upping calories. I was 143. I am 5"6.5 and goal weight it 135-140ish. My BF scale said 29.1% but I know that is not 100% accurate. I hold all of my weight in my stomach. How accurate is the bod pod?
  • zsaoosh
    It is supposed to be the second best device but I guess on thin women it can be up to 14% off. BUT My scale says I am 21% and some sites say I am 23%...all I know is I wiggle and giggle a little too much :laugh:
  • fiveohmike

I fixed it, my BMR is 1134.

heh gotcha! I am at 45.9% and use the Scooby :) However I just started using the BodyMedia Fit LINK, because like you, I was worried that the Scooby wasnt taking into account high BF. I found with my BF Fit, that I am within 200 calories of the scooby.

Also the St Jeor Method (that Scooby uses) calculates the numbers better than say a Katch McCardle (that takes into account only Lean Body Mass). Its accurate withint +/- 10%

You can always take the time to learn your body. Eat at 8week at your TDEE that Scooby sets. If you are consistent, at the end of 8 weeks if you A) weight more than when you started, you can decrease calorie intake because you know your TDEE is lower, B) if you weigh less then when you started you know your TDEE is higher (as you are losing so that equals a deficit, or C) if you weight the same at the end of 8 weeks, you know your TDEE was right and can cut properly.

This is a very very accurate method of finding you bodies sweet spot.

Remember that the Calculators are only estimates, and get you in the ballpark, and from their its a science to learn your body :)
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    I have read that there is a significant amount of user error possible on the Bod Pod. Maybe have your BF% tested with calipers just for a comparison? Your BF% seems way high for your height/weight...I would say 23% is much more likely.
  • zsaoosh
    The bod pod is supposed to be better then a caliper because its air compression and less room for human error but there might be. FIveohmike...I think you are right. I should just learn what my body wants to eat I guess. Sucks cause I think its more like 1300-1400 and not 1500-1700 :sad: