Work out less?

palak126
palak126 Posts: 30 Member
Okay so I have a small issue. My BMR is around 1380 and TDEE is around 1900. If I do -15%, I get to eat about 1600 calories. I've set my goal to 1550cals. My activity level is lightly active since I get in about 1-3hrs/week of exercise. Now, I hate exercising if I have to eat back most of what I burned off at the gym. For example, if I worked out and burned 400 calories, I would have to eat back 180 calories! Isn't it just better to reduce the amount of burn so I don't have to eat most of it all back? I'm already struggling eating more after upping my calories. Eating more and exercising less...this is starting to feel like a vacation. I need to lose about 10lbs so maybe this small calorie window is because of that? What's your take on all this?

Replies

• palak126
    bump. anyone?
  • hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    If you lift that day, you don't necessarily have to worry about a burn like that. Just eat your cut. But if you do a big cardio day, then just eat those extra caloires back until you reach your BMR! You don't have to feel bad about eating that food back...your body needs it! :)
  • palak126
    I understand that. It's just that I'm already struggling to eat more. Is it best to reduce exercise so I don't have to add on extra calories to eat? Or should I just deal with it and stuff myself silly?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Maybe don't reduce exercise, but reduce the burn by replacing it with weights. So instead of an hour long cardio session, do an hour of weights which burns less calories (but will make you look better). Then you are still getting in the same number of hours of exercise but you won't have to eat anything back.

I think that's what the above poster was getting at as well.
  • palak126
    Maybe don't reduce exercise, but reduce the burn by replacing it with weights. So instead of an hour long cardio session, do an hour of weights which burns less calories (but will make you look better). Then you are still getting in the same number of hours of exercise but you won't have to eat anything back.

I think that's what the above poster was getting at as well.

Thank you. I understand it now. I will shift more towards lifting than cardio so I don't have to deal with this issue. I guess I can do the cardio once or twice a week when I over-eat on the weekends :)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Maybe your TDEE is higher than you are calculating if you are having to eat back your exercise calories. Also if you only have 10 lb to go, I recommend reducing your cut to 10%. Try eating higher calorie foods to hit your calorie goal, rather than trying to eat more food. You could also try drinking some of your calories.