Gaining Weight

I was on low-carb for about a year or more, and i went from 250 to 210, and I gained most of it back over the next year. I hadn't been doing anything for the last couple months, and not eating much. So i wanted to lose the weight i lost before and a little more, so i attempted to do low-carb again but I just couldn't eat that little again and starve all the time.

So about two weeks ago i started eating what this site recommended for me, which was about 2400-ish calories (but recently its telling me to eat about 1500 for some reason). Its hard for me to reach that everyday, because it feels like i'm eating everything in the house everyday, but i've been getting a lot more calories than normal. But since then, I have gained 7 pounds. I'm almost back at 250. And if anyone has been in this situation, they know how horrible it is to get back to the same weight you started at. Most of my mind is telling me to go back to low-carb and stop eating so much but...I'm not sure what to do, all i know is i don't want to keep gaining weight and end up where I was. Help?

Replies

• KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    ok, so you were losing at 2500 and now gaining at 1500?

I know for me personally, I am accusomted to eatting about 600 calories a day. My dr. told me I need to increase my calories to at leaast 1200, I am trying to eat 1200-1400 a day I sometimes succeed and sometimes like yesterday dont. (704). So I checked my weight ,because I ate so low, I actually gained a lb. I know its only one. But it always starts some where right?

I would recommend eatting the calories where you loose the weight. Im not familiar enough with the program to understand why it took you from 2500 down to 1500.
    Hope I helped Keri :drinker:
  • No, I hadn't been keeping track with this site since it changed to 1500, but I am doing the gaining at 2500.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Have you read the stickies at the front of this group? Where did you get your 2500 calorie number? Did you work out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from one of the sites?

I was eating very low calorie (a lot of people call that VLCD on here) for a long time. Currently I'm eating at my TDEE maximum for the next 8 weeks (well, 6 1/2 to go now) with the purpose of resetting my now very slow metabolism. The gain is normal during a reset. I've heard anywhere from 2 to 20 pounds over the course of the 8 weeks. Then you cut your number by 15% - this is supposed to produce a smooth, healthy weight loss.

Hope that helps some!
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Hi and welcome!
    Ive got a sneaky feeling you are talking about MFP when u say "this site" has been giving u 1500 lately.
    If you havent already, please go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Work out your numbers there. And like terrigrace said, go read all the stickies of this group, you will understand so much more.
    Let us know!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I just want to point out that it is possible to actually gain weight on a deficit, as the body struggles to survive in starvation mode. I've been there, and there are many other stories just like mine.

Like others have pointed out, read the stickies.

EM2WL is not a quick fix, and it takes some time for the body to readjust. Mentally it can be very challenging. but you have to think of the long term, and what you are hoping to accomplish long-term. Gaining a few pounds of water weight in the beginning is a small price to pay for a lifetime of success.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello,

What are your stats so I can run your numbers?
  • stats as in my weight height, etc?

I'm 5'9" and I weigh 243 as of late, and I'm 18.

If you were doing it to run a calculator I just did that scoobysworkshop one and it says my BMR is 2333 and my TDEE is 3617.

So i'm guessing try to eat close to 2333 for like 8 weeks or until my weight either starts going down or stays?
  • KarinFit4Life
    stats as in my weight height, etc?

I'm 5'9" and I weigh 243 as of late, and I'm 18.

If you were doing it to run a calculator I just did that scoobysworkshop one and it says my BMR is 2333 and my TDEE is 3617.

So i'm guessing try to eat close to 2333 for like 8 weeks or until my weight either starts going down or stays?

Uhm nope...hehe, youre gona be shocked, but Ill leave it Mike to explain. Coming from another guy u might accept it better. :happy:
    Just keep in mind...this stuff works! And Mike is proof.
    Good luck!
  • KarinFit4Life
    By the way, do you work out? Lift weights, cardio? Give us ure weekly routine pls.
  • I attempt to speed walk for about 30 minutes 5 days a week. I was going to the gym and doing hardcore weight lifting, and i'll probably be going back very soon.
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Im 21, 6'1", 282.6lb, Oh im also a low carber, following Paleo.

I use to eat 1500-1900 cals a day, hit a plateau been there for a month, I recently found out about EM2LM, and decided i needed to take more in, these are my numbers from this calculator.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Male
    282.6lb
    73 inches
    1-3hours of light exercise a week(play it safe, as im currently walking for 30-60min/day at 3.5mph)
    With a cut of -20%

So thats just me and my requirements are:
    BMR:2610
    TDEE:3589
    What i need to eat: 2871

Now, when I put my weekly exercise up, the amount you need to eat also goes up. So I roughly eat around 2800-3000 cals a day now. I dont have any progress to tell you about, just showing you my numbers and all. So dont be surprised at how high your intake might be :P
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    You eat your TDEE, not your BMR. If doing a reset. You eat your TDEE - 15% if eating your *cut*.

You never eat less than your BMR.

I eat TDEE minus 15% personally, the Scooby Calc works it out for me. I then manually changed this site so it recognised my new numbers.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Im 21, 6'1", 282.6lb, Oh im also a low carber, following Paleo.

I use to eat 1500-1900 cals a day, hit a plateau been there for a month, I recently found out about EM2LM, and decided i needed to take more in, these are my numbers from this calculator.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Male
    282.6lb
    73 inches
    1-3hours of light exercise a week(play it safe, as im currently walking for 30-60min/day at 3.5mph)
    With a cut of -20%

So thats just me and my requirements are:
    BMR:2610
    TDEE:3589
    What i need to eat: 2871

Now, when I put my weekly exercise up, the amount you need to eat also goes up. So I roughly eat around 2800-3000 cals a day now. I dont have any progress to tell you about, just showing you my numbers and all. So dont be surprised at how high your intake might be :P

As the above poster said, we recommend TDEE - 15% around here. Otherwise your deficit and your BMR numbers are a little too close and it's easy to get an exercise burn that puts you under your burn (at which point your are constantly eating back your exercise calories to bring Net back up over BMR)

So, that being said, your TDEE - 15% is 3050. Eat that every day. Yes, it's possible you will gain some weight at first, but you should stabilize and start to drop. If you find that after about 6 weeks you do not start seeing a drop in inches or weight, then you may need to do a full reset (or a diet break). But for now, 3050 is a good place to start. Do not eat back exercise cals except if you find that you have a particularly high burn one day and you NET under your BMR, then eat back enough calories to bring your NET back up, but you shouldn't have to do that very often (if at all) if you have your activity level set correctly when calculating your tdee.

Make sure you read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience so that you aren't surprised by anything.

Let us know if you have need further clarification on anything. :happy:
  • Wow..Well for one thanks. I don't even know how i can possibly eat 3000 calories...I'm dying here trying to get mid 2000's...I feel like there isn't even enough food for that in the house lol. Well all I can do is try, thanks.
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Update: Should definitely give this a shot man, today this morning, I just broke my plateau!!!!
    First time ive seen 280, even if it was just water weight, this is the first time ive seen it, so thats saying something!
    You can always add me if you wish and see what im eating etc, I eat around 3000 cals a day right now. Good luck!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    You might need to switch up the types of foods that you're eating for higher calories but more nutrient dense foods. Things like almonds, peanut butter, avocado, almond butter, greek yogurt, full fat cheese etc. are high in calories, but also high in good fats and protein. Those calories will add up fast.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    You might need to switch up the types of foods that you're eating for higher calories but more nutrient dense foods. Things like almonds, peanut butter, avocado, almond butter, greek yogurt, full fat cheese etc. are high in calories, but also high in good fats and protein. Those calories will add up fast.

Absolutely what she said. Nutrient / calorie dense foods. Full fat cheeses, salad dressing, REAL natural nut butter. Protein shakes made with milk, peanut butter, banana . Nuts . Focus on getting protein in , healthy fats .

You are young ....your body is still quite resilient. Don't go down the path of low calorie which messes up your fat burning metabolism.

One of the best books I've read that breaks down the science of metabolism ( and I read a LOT) is Smarter Science of Slim. Totally confirms us EM2WL folks are on the right track
  • It's official..I gained 12 pounds since i started this higher calorie thing and am back to where i started 2 years ago :(
  • KarinFit4Life
    Dont give up!! Read the stickies...theres one about the dreaded scale! Read it and understand whats happening!
    Its all water weight! It takes time
  • Yeah but still, I would think some of it would be actual weight, since my body isn't used to eating that much...I mean, 12 pounds is alot...