Why "Burned 1 Calorie"?

heidi5k
heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
Hi y'all...

OK - So I just started the 30 Day Shred (day 2 y'all!)... I haven't been exercising regularly, and this is the first time since joining EMtWL.

Anyhow, I'm kinda excited to see my little "burned 222 calories" thing pop up.

However, I see a lot of people's feed say "burned 1 calorie" for 90 minutes of "X". I'm wondering if there's something I missed about how to log exercise when doing EMtWL. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks!

Replies

• hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Hi,

I think some people like to pre-log exercise before they do it. Sounds like they might be using an HRM for an accurate calorie burn, so won't fill in the amount until after they've done it.

I've done it in the past - as a way of reminding me to get off my bum and get moving! I'll log 'Gym' and '1 calorie burned' but then after the session will edit the exercise to put my burn figure in, say '258 calories burned'. Geddit?
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Hi y'all...

OK - So I just started the 30 Day Shred (day 2 y'all!)... I haven't been exercising regularly, and this is the first time since joining EMtWL.

Anyhow, I'm kinda excited to see my little "burned 222 calories" thing pop up.

However, I see a lot of people's feed say "burned 1 calorie" for 90 minutes of "X". I'm wondering if there's something I missed about how to log exercise when doing EMtWL. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks!

Hello! I am one of the one calorie folks, so let me explain. I set my calories to TDEE (doing the reset) and so I don't want my exerccise calories confusing me. However, I do want to keep track of the minutes I exercised, so I just enter it in as one calorie.
    I am using a spreadsheet that was on the boards to keep track of my real exercise calories to make sure I don't net under BMR.

Lots of people do it differently, you just have to keep that "magic number" in your head so you don't go over. Everyone is a little different, this just works out well for me. :)
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Thanks guys! Yeah - I get totally confused (I have to do math!! Wah!) when the exercise calories are added in. I understand why you do the 1 cal thing.

For now, I'm just putting a post it on my computer with my BMR to make sure I never go below. :) Old School.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I eat my TDEE minus 15%. If I add my exercise calories I would eat them twice because they are already accounted for in my TDEE.

I use the 1 calories burn because it help me to know how many minutes of exercise I did and also because my friends encouragements help me stay motivated.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Same as Yanicka. I'm not eating those calories back, but I want everyone to know I've been kicking butt in the gym!