I suck at this.

DaysFlyBy
DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
I'm afraid EM2LM is not doing wonders for my psyche. I'm not a clean eater, have no real desire to be (just being honest) so I'm thinking it's not for me, maybe. I can see it being awesome for someone who loves vegetables, but I'm not that person. I'd rather eat far less of food I enjoy then tons of food I have to choke down...unhealthy as that may be. Eating 1700-2000 calories/day of the kinds of food I like to eat is only going to put fat back on me at a faster pace, I'm afraid. If you want to be thin and eat like crap I guess 1200 cal anorexia is about your only option...sigh. I don't think EM2LM is failing me, I believe I'M failing IT with my loathsome eating preferences. I try, I do, but halfway thru a bag of baby carrots I'm thinking 'f-it, I hate this s***'.

Replies

• meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Would peanut butter make those carrots taste better for you? To be honest, if you look at my diary you won't see TONS of veggies. My usual snacks are Greek yogurt (fruit flavors or mixed with chocolate protein powder, Nuts, fruit with peanut butter, Luna bars, Smoothies, etc. I find I really love Smoothies and you can sneak veggies in easily without making them gross. I am not a super clean eater but have stuck to my calorie goal and macros eating yummy things.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Before you give up, I'd just try to get a bit more creative. Whether you go lower cal or not, eating more nutritious food is going to do you a TON of favors today, and in the long run.

Why don't you check out a fun vegetarian or good foodie restaurant with some friends... Seeing what's out there, that tastes good, can be inspirational when it comes time to make your own dinner.

Maybe even simpler is just giving yourself a challenge to incorporate ____# of nutritious foods into your eating each day. Personally, it's a lot more fun to ADD foods than to RESTRICT foods. I've found that when I'm eating lots of nutritious foods, I'm just not even that hungry for crap.

I love this website: http://www.superfoodsrx.com/, and the book that goes along for education about nutrition in whole foods.

Good luck!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Hey there!! Is it ok that I laughed when I read your tale of woe with the baby carrots? : )
    Honestly, if I had to choke down a bag of any kind of raw veg in order to lose weight, eat clean and be healthy.....I'd find myself a comfy mumu/caftan and just settle onto the couch right now . Lol

I like vegetables , but of all things that I SHOULD be doing ...I don't do enough veggie eating. Oh well. I'm trying .

Anyhoo. The biggest thing is cleaning up your diet of junk food , processed (ie meals in a box) food, sodas and fast food. baby steps are good ...just keep taking those steps.

My biggest obstacle is my biggest love. Grain carbs. Yum. Loaf of bread vs. a roasted chicken breast? Pass the bread my way please. For years and years I've struggled with weight. Last year I decided to Get With It. Enough was enough. When I analyzed my eating habits, I realized that grain crbs were pushing all other foods out of my diet. No room for them ...was eating so much bready substances. I had to steadfastly work on eating more protein. THAT was difficult. However, once I cut back on grain carbs, ate more protein and healthy fats: WOW. I felt better!! More energy, not sluggish, not bloated and I was no longer craving those grain carbs and sugar. And yes, I lost weight.

I eat what I like ... Don't force myself to choke anything down. My tastes have changed though over time. It happens. I choose to eat things now I wouldn't have a year ish ago. I eat mostly clean without bags of baby carrots .....promise!!!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    You can friend me on here if you want and check out my diary.

I don't eat rabbit food, don't eat a ton of veggies. I actually eat only foods that I like but I try to make better choices most of the time. I refuse to eat food that I don't like (for the most part).

I ate a hamburger and frozen yogurt last night.

THe night before I enjoyed chips and wine.

A few days ago I had cake 2 days in a row. I eat chicken nuggets, french fries, yam fries etc. I just try to make it fit into my overall macros so if I have something like that at one meal my other meals are pretty healthy (but not like salad healthy, like a healthy sandwich with some berries and yogurt).
  • HeidiHoMom
    And while eating clean is healthier for your insides and will make you feel better, it is not a requirement here. You might see slower results due to a high sodium diet but when it comes down to it, it is calories in vs. calories out. If you eat twinkies all day but have a deficit you will lose weight.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    I took a nice nap and woke up in a better mood then read your replies and felt better still! Thanks for letting me vent and making me feel less of a loser, lol.

My biggest challenge is that I HATE cooking, with an absolute passion. Two step meals are too much work for me most of the time. I just loathe it. If I have to brown hamburger AND boil water I'm all kinds of annoyed. There are a lot of wonderful, healthy choices I make for myself and for my children, but once they wean themselves diet isn't so much one of them lol. We don't drink soda, I don't bring candy into the house, I don't buy juice, the kids think apples, grapes and bananas are snack foods so instead of picking up bags of chips from under the couch/bed I'm picking up apple cores and banana skins (ew), buy organic as much as possible, but yeah - canned and boxed foods rule the menu around here. :P
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    20 days and you have new taste buds that crave what you've been eating, whatever that may be.

Give it 3 weeks.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Would peanut butter make those carrots taste better for you? To be honest, if you look at my diary you won't see TONS of veggies. My usual snacks are Greek yogurt (fruit flavors or mixed with chocolate protein powder, Nuts, fruit with peanut butter, Luna bars, Smoothies, etc. I find I really love Smoothies and you can sneak veggies in easily without making them gross. I am not a super clean eater but have stuck to my calorie goal and macros eating yummy things.

OMGoodness - this post is so, so me. I recently made my diary private b/c I was getting comments on what I eat and I don't care what anyone else has to say. :bigsmile: So you can't see it, but take my word for i - it's not all clean eating. Lately I adore almonds dipped in chocolate almond butter.

I hate cooking too. My pesky children like dinner so I make it, but I'd much rather live off of whatever is convenient. I've been eating more and just recently (as in two days ago) fit into my smallest pair of jeans. Don't give up just because you're not eating super clean. Eat the best you can and keep plugging away.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Not everything at Trader Joe's is healthy, but they rock for having decent convenience food options. You might want to check that out if there's one near you. :)
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    20 days and you have new taste buds that crave what you've been eating, whatever that may be.

Give it 3 weeks.

THIS.. sometimes I completely forget I have treats in the house (right now there are 6 cupcakes in my freezer... and it only tortures me a tiny bit that I don't get to eat one until sunday)

You can do it.. you can have to find the things that work for you... If you look at my diary... it will become obvious that I've given up very little goodies. But I love baby carrots... so I have that going for me. lol
  • HeidiHoMom
    Something you could try if you don't like cooking is making a big batch of things that you can freeze, then you only have to cook once.

We make a ginormous batch of chili that gives us enough for 6-7 freezer meals. you can do the same with lasagna.

You can also make up a ton of pasta sauce with ground beef and freeze it, then when you actually want to have some spaghetti you just have to boil the water and heat the sauce up.

We eat a lot of wraps here, we just grill chicken and toss it in a wrap, quessadillas or fajitas.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    I'm not the "cleanest" eater in the world, FWIW, but....by setting up my info. on MFP and trying to hit my macros, I started eating better quality foods, despite myself. I still love my beer (Mich. ultra!) and my Mexican food, but I've learned how to work it into my macros and SOMEHOW, things just on their own worked out.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Im not a vegetable eater either...feel free to look at my diary for this week. (maybe ignore yesterday tho lol) My snacks are things like protein shakes, protein bar/balls, a mix of nuts/seeds/dried fruit. dark chocolate (70% cocoa) and my absolute favourite is a banana with tahini. In relation to vegetables im incredibly picky and wont eat most...i will eat things like mushrooms so often dry fry them at night....or i throw some cherry tomatos in the oven and roast them. Ive also just bought a juicer and im planning to do juices with vegetables to try and get them in more. Dont let it sway you...us non vegie eaters just need to look outside the box a lil bit :)
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    i tend to avoid cooking as well .. couple things I like to keep around are

hard boiled eggs

natural peanut butter and polomer fruit and fiber jelly (ill have pb&j sandwiches for breakfast to avoid cooking sometimes lol)

quaker oats instant oatmeal weight control (nuke the water and eat!)

and if you have a wawa by you, you can grab one of their pre-made protein packs for 660 cals if you are on the road and need something quick and easy

short cuts chicken (perdue I think) - it's pre-cooked so i can through it in my "ready bag" salad with some chopped walnuts, sliced almonds, and crumbled feta cheese (also all pre-chopped / sliced in package)

i also will sometimes grab one of those rotiserrie chickens that are ready made at the grocery store
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Thank you for posting this because I feel the same ways as you. This is my third and not doing well with choices (my diary is public).
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    You can tell by my journal I don't eat really clean all the time. I have improved my habits and I count that as a WIN!! That's all you need to do is step by step. This is for life, so you have a lifetime to make changes.

The month of June here is known as the birthday month, so cake and ice cream seems to be all around. I enjoy a bit here and there, but like someone else said make sure it fits into my Macros.

You can friend me, and I promise I will only compliment on good changes and never judge your other choices.