Early Menopause

Options
Ruthann2
Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
I was wondering if anyone is starting to go threw this. I am only 46 and I have never heard of anyone starting so early. I know that i am not a spring chicken but still.lol And I was also wondering if anyone has used Flaxseed and does this work. Or if anything work beside medication. Thanks

Replies

• consuem
    consuem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was thrown into menopause by a hysterectomy. I have tried a lot of things to combat the symptoms of menopause. Some work and some do not. You will have to experiment on what works for you. If you are having hot flashes, I can recommend some things. Alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods make them worse. I have found that when I feel one coming on, I use a cold glass of ice water and place the outside of the glass on the inside of my wrist. Hold it there and within a minute or two, I feel better. What type of symptoms are you having?
  • Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I only have the hot flashes (I have not had a TOM in 17 yrs) and some mood swings. Well I do not have to worry about Alcohol I do not drink I have cut out alot of my caffeine and I do not eat any spicy food. I will try the cold water on the wrist.
    Thank you
  • genkoehn
    genkoehn Posts: 5
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy at 37 and started on hormone replacement because medical induced menopause at a young age total messed me up. Last August I stopped my hormone therapy and started having hot flashes and night sweats to the point I was not getting very good sleep if any. I had already changed my diet significantly earlier that year by dropping caffeine, added sugars, and as many artificial additives as possible .....but still had the flashes. Unrelated to that, during my search to lose the last of the stubborn weight I was carrying and my puffy stomach, I came across an article that said to stop eating wheat to help lose that stubborn stomach fat. So I went wheat free and lo and behold my hot flashes and night sweats decreased so much I don't even notice if I have them anymore. Not sure if there is a medical reason or not but I have told this to several friends and those who tried it have noticed a marked difference.........it is not easy but so worth it. I do eat the sprouted grains in Ezekiel 4:9 breads and cereals and they don't seem to bother me......but I do that sparingly. There are so many gluten free products out there that you really don't have to deprive yourself too much. Just thought I would pass on what has helped me.
  • sports4momca
    Options
    I get this sweating at bedtime thing (is that hot flashes?). Anyway, I don't think there is a set age nor do I think 46 is young. I have quite a few friends who started it younger and yes some of them had hysterectomies or their tubes tied. Someone told me exercise was good to get rid of them.But then it seems exercise is good for everything so it might be worth a try,lol
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am 45 in August. I was told I was pre menapause about 10 - 11 years ago. Now I am having night sweats, hot flashes, irregular periods and my hormones.... Oh good gravy, my hormones. :sad:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and in peri-menopause... my periods are irregular, the hot flashes are killing me and now it is very nearly impossible to drop weight! On the advice of my doc, I've started taking a Vitex Fruit supplement - and it's helped tremendously with the hot flashes.

Menopause in your 40's isn't really considered early --- and a lot of factors contribute to when it happens, including when your mother went through menopause and whether you've had children. Since 40 is the new 30, I think we all just think that we're too young! :) At this point, I'd just like to get past it and figure out what my new normal is going to be. The transition is almost as bad as puberty!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and starting to see the signs. Occasional hot flashes and night sweats and I feel like I'm premenstrual all the time with the mood swings. Weight loss is near impossible. Yeah it's on it's way.
  • GoJo65
    GoJo65 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Started at 45 with irregular periods..gained 15 pounds in a VERY short time while still exercising 5x a week & eating fairly well and agree-weight loss is SO FREAKIN HARD!

I am 47 now & mood stuff & *power surges* are getting worse..starting to consider supplements so I appreciate all the suggestions here.

My mom started at 45 too & she said it took 5 years until she finally stopped having periods. She hardly had any symptoms besides initial weight gain. I think my road will be harder...yeah.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Probably straying well out of my area but what healthy methods of weight loss do work in the long term when you experience menopause? Is it simply metabolism slowing down or more complicated eg the way the body deals with carbs etc?
  • Valera0466
    Options
    Probably straying well out of my area but what healthy methods of weight loss do work in the long term when you experience menopause? Is it simply metabolism slowing down or more complicated eg the way the body deals with carbs etc?

It's best to see your doctor and have your hormones tested. If you can control your hormones the weight loss will be easier.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Right, but I'm interested in how it affects weight management. Does metabolism slow down significantly or something else?
  • Valera0466
    Options
    The way I understand it, and I'm no pro, is that the change in your hormones is what effects your ability to loose weight. Or more accurately encourages you to gain weight mainly around the belly. Regulating your hormones can aid in this.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I guess anyone with that problem would already be speaking to a doctor.
  • Valera0466
    Options
    They should be. But if they are anything like me they are terrible procrastinators when it comes to seeing doctors.
  • chris2365
    chris2365 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm officially in menopause since June (one year without periods) and I'm 47-1/2! I didn't have a regular doctor (since we moved to a different city) and just rode through the symptoms, which weren't horrible. A little grumpier than usual sometimes and with the occasional power surge (hot flash). I think I was pretty lucky, all in all.

I will say that since I started peri-menopause, I started gaining weight, but since so much of it was behavioral (I was drinking moe than I should, dealing with grief since my husband's sudden unexpected death, raising two boys, etc.), I don't know how much of it is hormonal.

I think losing weight this time round is going to be harder but there you go. I know consistency is key and if I start serious weight training, I can attain and keep an attractive body type. I truly worry about the dreaded post-menopausal apple shape! (I've been a plump pear all my life and am OK with it.)
  • leaann3
    leaann3 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've read Chia seeds are supposed to help. I bought a bag a few months ago and the first few weeks I was throwing them into everything I could think of (baked goods, smoothies, stir fry, whatever). They did seem to help me, but now I forget to add them. I have a friend who just recently told me she's been taking krill oil supplements and she swears by them.
  • rebyork
    rebyork Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and in menopause now!! hot flashes and night sweats are the worst.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I started peri-menopause in my late 30's - insomnia was terrible. I had to have a total hysterectomy at age 40.
    I take prescription estradiol - I think prescription hormone supplements get a bad rap. I have had very few
    night sweats or hot flashes; and do not have vaginal dryness or atrophy. I feel great and plan to continue
    estradiol.
  • Kiswinning
    Kiswinning Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have been getting hot flashes since I was 45. I take Estroven, a natural supplement and it has helped tremendously. Now if I can get rid of the insomnia I'll be in great shape.
  • gigi_to_4
    gigi_to_4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok so kind of on the same topic does any one have a heavier flow since starting peri menopause? I am experiencing some terrible TOM's sometimes I can't work due to cramps and other times I need to sit down most of the week if you get my meaning. I don't know what to do, I am 46 I work in a very active youth & community center and this is definitely disrupting my life. Any suggestions?