'The Thyroid Diet Revolution' & some revelations

2»

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Catching up on this post -- so many here on Synthroid or Levoxy still having hypo symptoms -- then sprinkled in are the folks on Armour reporting that they are feeling so much better.

I saw one post where doctors were "cold called" until she found one that prescribes Armour!! Brilliant!!!

What have you got to lose to find a doctor that prescribes Armour? And amazingly, when you find one, he will also care about your other symptoms, your adrenals, your sleep, your weight, your fatigue.... doctors that prescribe Armour are more likely to pay attention to all the aspects of your metabolism.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    If my Doctor doesn't prescribe Armour for me in 2 days, then I am going to request an endo that does. If she doesn't know of one, I'll see if I can get a blank referral or something. There has to be someone in this huge megalopolis that I live in that will prescribe it!

I feel as though my atigue is getting worse, though, which is one reason why I am so glad I have an appt with the dr. I can sleep 8 hours and i am still exhausted, eyes burning, feel like I have been hit by a mack truck.

Wrote down a HUGE list of what labs to run and am going to DEMAND that my Doctor run ALL of them!

This is what I am asking for:

TSH
    Free T3
    Free T4
    Reverse T3
    SHBG
    Antithyroglobulin antibody
    TPO antibody
    ferritin
    iron
    leptin
    Glucose
    Average glucose
    Vitamin D
    insulin
    Homocysteine
    CRP
    urinary iodine

Did I miss any? It's a crazy list!
  • tecallahan
    WOW - that's some list!! I didn't really have a list of labs because my ND just did it!

There is a "Find a Doc" page on stopthethyroidmadness.com

It also suggests asking your local pharmacy for names of doctors that prescribe Armour.

Good luck!!
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    I love stop the thyroid madness too!

I was on levothroxine for a few years and it destroyed my body :/

Recently I've switched to Armour thyroid and feel so much better! I've started losing weight too, 10lbs in 2 weeks wheras before even on a 1000kcal a day diet and a rigorous exercise regime I didnt even lose 1lb but gained! go figure eh :/
  • Elizabeth_M
    Hoping that my Dr. will prescribe me Armour tomorrow - your story (above) has given me hope! I am on the Levoxothyrine or whatever - not the brand name.

Yes, a huge list of labs, JUST to make sure that the Doctor does it right!!! I know with previous thyroid tests there for SURE was not that many tests done - I saw!

Wish me luck! :)
  • tecallahan
    Tell him you will find a doctor that will -- that Levoxyl is not helping any of your symptoms and you are not crazy.

There's a STTM group on Facebook -- they have a post called "How many doctors have you fired" -- there are literally thousands of people posting on that thread. All my life I followed what the doctors recommended and ended up on 11 prescription drugs, fat, tired and sick. I now take only Armour thyroid and run 5Ks and do triathlons at 60 years old.

So, you can turn this around - hopefully before you are 60 years old!!

Terri
  • Elizabeth_M
    Hi Terri - thanks for your support and reply! I actually *just* joined the group on Facebook!

Sadly, here in Ontario, finding a new family doctor is next to impossible. There are many many people who rely on walk-in clinics as their primary care. There are a few Doctors, however, in my region, accepting new patients (probably new doctors or new to the country) so I will check them out. There are sadly many other reasons I want to leave my doctor ANYWAYS - even though I have been going to her since I was 12. I am 38 now! lol

Take care!
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    WOW I have been MIA for a little while and it looks as though I have MISSED a ton! I have gone back to eating carbs over the last month and I feel OK... Not great.... Just OK no better no worse! I did Paleo for a while and I just could not stomach all the meat.... so I am looking for a better way... I guess I will be searching out the Thyroid Diet Revolution at the library. Thanks for all the Info
    :smile:
  • Elizabeth_M
    Hi Kylie's Mom! I was thinking of trying paleo, but I don't think I want to eat all that meat! lol

It's a great book, and not too bad of a read - the Thyroid Diet Revolution.

Hope you find it informative, too!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

Recently I've switched to Armour thyroid and feel so much better! I've started losing weight too, 10lbs in 2 weeks wheras before even on a 1000kcal a day diet and a rigorous exercise regime I didnt even lose 1lb but gained! go figure eh :/

Yikes! That's because 1000kcal was too low!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you! :drinker:
  • What Advocare products do you use? I've just been introduced to them and like what I see so far? chris
  • I experience the same thing! I have kept complaining to the doctor that something just is not right! He upped my Synthroid to 112mcg (I have my thyroid) and I feel even worse! Exercise, don't exercise, eat, don't eat, carbs, no carbs...I am exhausted!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    So this thread has really made me think more about my thyroid. I thought that I was educated about it, and am to some extent.... but I need to learn more. I know about food interactions, etc.... but assumed that I was okay on Synthroid. I can say that my doc is testing TSH, T3 and T4, and they are in range (he just started that the past few tests), but I am tired, skin and hair dry, still having issues with weight.... and absolutely no sex drive....

I think that i need to look more into my treatment....

So glad this thread is here!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Well I definitely feel an improvement since I started cytomel (T3), but I have also been eating low carb (and only having good carbs when I do - ie; quinoa), minimal processed foods and added sugars, and avoiding all goitrogens (although have had some cooked - ie; mustard in a marinade lo)

I think that we have to be informed, because as helpful as some of our doctors may be (not mine though) figuring out what works for you and how it works is sometimes ONLY up to you! My Doctor was a bit surprised (but I think pleasantly) when I started talking about reverse T3 and such. lol

Good luck to you - I am still TOTALLY confused by all of this - but learning more every day!
  • Elizabeth_M
    I experience the same thing! I have kept complaining to the doctor that something just is not right! He upped my Synthroid to 112mcg (I have my thyroid) and I feel even worse! Exercise, don't exercise, eat, don't eat, carbs, no carbs...I am exhausted!

It's so confusing, isn't it? Eat your exercise calories, don't eat them, what's a goitrogen, what's not, you can eat if it's cooked, but don't eat this at all, get your vitamins, make sure you have iodine. Very dizzying.