When to take a diet break?

angelina2585
angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
I've seen diet breaks mentioned a few times recently and am just wondering when you should take one?

I ate at 1800 calories for 4 weeks, losing 1.25 pounds. I panicked that I'd been too generous with that number because I'd rounded up the numbers so rounded down and dropped to 1750 calories and am just coming to the end of my third week at that level having lost 2 pounds in week 1 (we'll ignore week 2's 3lb gain because I know that was all the extra from partying last weekend :) I'm guessing it's all dropped off by now).

I've also decided not to get on the scale until the end of the month which will make it 10 weeks at my cut. Should I wait until my next weigh-in to see how it's worked? I'm assuming that a diet break means eating at maintenance? Would that be one week? two? longer?

I'm not panicking this time just wanting to do things right :) So help me. Please :)

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    I don't think "diet" is the right mentality for EM2WL. Semantics aside... ;)

Answer: As long as you or your body wants and whenever you want.
    The reality is this is a lifestyle change and 2 weeks or 2 months isn't a heck of a long time in one's lifetime. I think that if you want to go to TDEE and maintain and re-feed for a few months, go for it. So long as the numbers are working for you then why change a good thing?

Listen to your body and mind and if you're itching to eat more, lift more, eat less, lift less... whatever it is - do it! See how you and your body adjusts and go from there. There's no harm in that.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    There is a link on my profile page for info on this, depends on how much you have to lose & how often you do it : )

I am at the end of a 2 week break, 11 weeks in to em2wl, will post my results tomorrow!!
  • angelina2585
    I don't think "diet" is the right mentality for EM2WL. Semantics aside... ;)

Ooops can't believe I slipped up on that one especially having picked my husband up on the fact that he said to his mum this morning that I had been 'dieting' for a few months and I bit back and said that I don't see it as a diet but a lifestyle change lol
  • angelina2585
    Bec thanks I'm off to look at your link now. I *think* I want to lose another 10lbs to get to 126 but I'm not sure.