high morning

Options
scorpiomfs
scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
Last night I went to the movies.I had 1000 calories left for the day. I thought i would treat myself to a treat. I have been watching my fat, so i looked for a low fat option. I bought a box of mike and ike. I did not look at the sugur. I should have because this morning my stick was 146. Im usually under 110. Has any one else have this where you eat some thing late and your high that morning? I slept for 8 or more hours. This just really suprised me.

mo

Replies

• poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me everytime. Unfortunately with diabetes, we can't save up our carbs for later. Whether I've met my goals for the day or not, I still have to be in my limits for each meal or I'll pay for it later.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    A movie - sized box of Mike and Ike's has approximately 144 carbs. Carbs are what affect blood sugar, so I'm not surprised your FBG was high.

And yep, it has happened to me.
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thanks all i did not even eat the whole box ..
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yep it's happened to me and it always freaks me out too! I don't take insulin so I have to be careful with what I eat in carbs. I can tell you that if you've worked out really hard, usually you can get away with eating more carbs because the muscles tend to soak it up, but that's if you eat it shortly after working out. Besides that, shrug, it happens. I know a couple of days ago I had a 6in turkey and ham sub from subway, and one piece of hot n' ready pizza plus a breadstick. Way over on my carb limit for a meal and my sugar was 123 in the morning. But I consider it a victory because #1 I only ate one piece of pizza and one breadstick, and #2 my sugar was pretty close to where I need it to be. :)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Live and learn. Diabetes is about an experiment with your body. You need to figure out what works and doesn't work for you. For example, pasta is very bad for me and if I eat 1 cup of noodles I'll be about 250 2 and 3 hrs later. For a lot of other people, they do fine with pasta.

Breads, candies, noodles, and potatoes all contain more carbs and will usually elevate your BG. For many people, higher fiber grains are not so bad. Timing your carbs can also help. I have found that I need to eat my carbs earlier in the day. If I eat many for dinner or after dinner then I often am high in the morning. Last night I ate a low carb ice cream bar with 5 grams (although there are some sugar alcohols too) plus an ounce of almonds and I had 126 this morning.

It will take some time so keep testing and eat what your meter says works for you. I try to spread my carbs out during the day and taper off by evening rather than eating them all in one sitting. For weight loss it may not matter but with diabetes spreading them out usually is better.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to negatively affect my FBS as long as those late-night carbs do not put me over my total daily allowance. But then again, I haven't tested that theory with sweets, either. I have no idea how that would affect me and I have no plans to find out. I do know that I need to eat some carbs in the evenings. Unlike many, my FBS is always higher if I go carb-free after dinner.
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    All the time!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! But with me it was chocolate. My go to evening snack right now is sugar free Jell-O.