I must be doing something wrong

Options
I was expecting the scale to go up, but not the tape measure. I'm right back almost to where I started and completely defeated.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I was expecting the scale to go up, but not the tape measure. I'm right back almost to where I started and completely defeated.
    Oh I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged but there are so many factors to look at here. Did you just start? Please give some background. Also please check out thread about what to expect when upping.
  • ben_running
    Options
    Okay, too soon to be frustrated.

I've upped my calories from 1250 to 2050 (BMR 1810) for about 2 weeks now. I'm quite impatient, apparently.

I wasn't surprised with the scale gain, but when the tape stretched out an inch further, I was ever so disappointed. I've been lifting heavy and I'm a runner, so I've been doing that. It is a step backwards, but I know it's a necessary step.

Thanks for the reminder.

The rest of my story is on pg 15 of the introduction thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/513037-introduction-for-new-members?page=15#posts-9038447
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am nearly at the end of week 1, dread to think what my scales will say O_O Could the tape measure gain be bloat/water retention?
  • ben_running
    Options
    I'm hoping that's it. When I was going by scale weight, I was always heaviest on Monday. And to be honest, I didn't feel quite myself for the last three days or so. It could very well be that my body is confused.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Im 6 weeks in to a strength training program and two weeks into eating at TDEE and my measurements increased. Does it bother me? Of course.. it sucks balls. But I know that once the Cut happens, things will finally come off.

Are you at your Cut, or at TDEE? It sounds like you are barely above BMR which means you should increase your cals. The increase in inches is temporary. Bloat can last for a long time, especially when you havent been eating enough. Plus are you measuring after lifting?? That makes a huge difference too.

I know its frustrating.. It sucks doing everything "right" and not getting any results, but be patient.. it WILL happen
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. The meansurement around my lower stomach has gone up about 1/2 an inch. I'm hoping it is a fluke and that it goes back down. My weight also went up and after a few weeks this weekend I actually lost 2.6 lbs. Hang in there.
  • ben_running
    Options
    Are you at your Cut, or at TDEE? It sounds like you are barely above BMR which means you should increase your cals.

My TDEE is right at 2600 and where I am targeting is -20%. There is about a 100 calorie difference between -20% and -15%.
    The increase in inches is temporary. Bloat can last for a long time, especially when you havent been eating enough. Plus are you measuring after lifting?? That makes a huge difference too.

I know its frustrating.. It sucks doing everything "right" and not getting any results, but be patient.. it WILL happen

I sure hope so. Also, I measure right after I get up.
  • ben_running
    Options
    Follow up question: I should be eating at least my BMR net each day, right?

I know targeting 2090 and burning 400 brings me below my BMR of 1800.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yes, at least NET BMR
  • ben_running
    Options
    Thx