Is this an OK method?

I have been wearing my bodybugg every day (all day) and eating at a 500-ish deficit, adjusted to the number of calories I burned on that particular day. Is this an alright method, or should I really just have a set "cut value" to follow every day?

Another question - on workout days I burn around 3400 calories, so on those days I'll eat around 2900.. is it me or does that seem cray cray?

5'9"
171 lbs.
5th week of plateau

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    If I used one of those devices I would take the avg of a "normal" week and take the 15% cut from that number and eat it. I would only eat excess if I had a super high burn day.

I think FiveOhMike actually eat a 300 deficit off the previous days number...

Hope this helps.
    Lucia
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    I have a BMF and like Lucia said I use the previous week's average TDEE & cut value to eat for the current week. I recalculate every Sun night.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    I have a BMF and like Lucia said I use the previous week's average TDEE & cut value to eat for the current week. I recalculate every Sun night.

Cool. I can see why one would do that, but is there any real reason other than convenience (not having to determine the number of cals to eat on a daily basis)?
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    For me it's easier, because

1. I don't get the updates during the day as to how I'm doing. I plug my device in once in the morning and once at night. I would go crazy if I spent my day worrying about whether I was over or under and what to eat next or questioning whether I should have had that piece of cake.

2. I don't want to recalculate every day and change my calorie goals on MFP. I do it once a week and I'm done with it.

3. I like to pre-track my food so it's easier when planning my food so I know I have the same about every day that week to work with.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Wow! Guess I've been doing it wrong, Im on day 11 of my reset, been tring to eat all calories from day before. Just seemed more accurate to me. So I should average it then?
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    For me it's easier, because

1. I don't get the updates during the day as to how I'm doing. I plug my device in once in the morning and once at night. I would go crazy if I spent my day worrying about whether I was over or under and what to eat next or questioning whether I should have had that piece of cake.

2. I don't want to recalculate every day and change my calorie goals on MFP. I do it once a week and I'm done with it.

3. I like to pre-track my food so it's easier when planning my food so I know I have the same about every day that week to work with.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I have the display watch and don't mind recalculating every day. I just use MFP to track the number of calories eaten and ignore the net calories. Different preferences I guess. I just wanted to make sure there isn't something wrong with the way I want to do it in terms of weight loss success. Thanks again!