Question....

thecazstewart
thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
I'm having a problem in working this out....

If my TDEE is 2,301 and I deduct 15% = 1,956 which I eat as calories and ignore eating back my exercise calories. So far, so good.

I've been eating (or trying to eat) 1500 NET which, on exercise days, means I'm "actually" eating 2,000 odd calories in order to get my NET back up to 1500.

Isn't this the same thing?

Thanks!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    It would only be the same if you exercised every day, in fact you're eating a bit more on average over the week using TDEE as you eat the same even when you don't work out.

Which is why I stick to MFP - the calculation's the same, more or less, but it keeps me honest with calories actually burned on the day rather than planned over the week.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Ummm I think I get what you mean but to stop confusion with net eating the emtwl way a lot of people just log 1 cal as their burn I think and then you done have to worry about looking at net. Or don't log anything, which is what I do and just note it in the exercise notes section. Just remember to always net your bmr so if you have a high burn you may have to eat a bit more. So you are right, just eat your cut everyday unless your burn puts you below your bmr.

I hope this helps.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Yes. It's the same thing. Eating at your TDEE is less complicated, but eating NET is more "accurate". A couple hundred calories either way really doesn't do much damage because everything is estimates anyway. Food. Exercise. BMR. TDEE. Everything. It's all an estimate.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I'm having a problem in working this out....

If my TDEE is 2,301 and I deduct 15% = 1,956 which I eat as calories and ignore eating back my exercise calories. So far, so good.

I've been eating (or trying to eat) 1500 NET which, on exercise days, means I'm "actually" eating 2,000 odd calories in order to get my NET back up to 1500.

Thanks!

You would eat 1956 every day, regardless of exercise unless you net under BMR. However, if you're regularly having to eat extra calories to bring your NET up to BMR, you probably have your activity level figured wrong.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Sun_____1950_____1500+500
    Mon_____1950_____1500+600
    Tue_____1950_____1500
    Wed____1950_____1500+500
    Thu_____1950_____1500+400
    Fri______1950_____1500+600
    Sat_____1950_____1500

Total____13650____13100
    Avg_____1950_____1871

Avg NET__1579____1500

Your actual math may work out differently, but pretty close in this example. But you have some pretty big burn days, so could be very different.

In that spreadsheet I put out, on the Future You tab, fill out stats at top, and then half way down, is a nice Weekly Confirmation section. Put in start weight and end weight as same, put in real or pretend eating levels each day, and then enter in real or avg exercise calories burned. See where you end up for the weekly avg.

Spreadsheet link on my profile page or brief intro topic here with link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/620206-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-mfp-tweaks-hrm