Another (vegetarian) EM2LW Newby

Options
KarenJanine
KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
Hello all EM2LW members!

After reading lots of the info on here I've decided to give this a go. I'm 5'8'', approximately 144 lbs (as of a week ago but I've now taken a big step for me and hidden my scales away!). I'm therefore a healthy weight but would like to lose a few vanity pounds (or inches). I've done this a couple of times in the past but unsurprisingly the weight crept back on.

Therefore I've decided not to starve myself for the rest of my life but instead try eating more, eating right and exercising more. I'm no longer trying to lose weight; I'm trying to lose fat. My cardio levels are quite high as I commute to work by bicycle and walk everywhere (I don't have a car) but I'm now also trying to incorporate more strength work to try and tone up. I'm going to turn 30 in six months and would love to be looking and feeling my best ever when I get there, as well as finally being happy with my body and being able to enjoy food guilt-free.

I'm vegetarian and am finding hitting my protein levels quite tricky - I felt like I was eating non-stop yesterday! But I'm sure over time I will get used to this and find it easier to plan my meals. I've currently set my macro levels to 45:30:25 (C:P:F) and still have some work to do to balance these. My main aims at present are to make sure I net above my BMR each day (1460) and to drink lots of water.

Anyway, I'm mostly just popping in to say "Hi" but if there are any more EM2LW vegetarians with any tips or advice to offer I'd be very happy to hear from you.

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also vegetarian and its sooo hard for me to hit protein...
    I got a protein powder and mix it with either yogurt or skim milk. I eat 2 eggs a day.
    I try, and usually hit 70g protein every day.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome to this group.

I am not vegetarian, but I am not eating too much meat.

You will find all the support you need here. The people around here are awesome and very helpful.

I am also trying to just lose a few vanity pounds and get toned. I am resetting at the moment, so I have gained a few pounds, but they will come off eventually.
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and find it hard to hit my protein too, I never stop trying though.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian and can't ever make my macros. I can however (on good days) get over 70 grams which seems like a lot to me (I swear I'll eat beans, and nuts, and eggs, and milk and yogurt and more and I still can't reach anywhere close to 30% protein. I do think I get my veggies in easier though.

I'm thinking about adding in some sort of protein shake though... we'll see.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am SLOWLY moving from 20 year vegetarian to vegan. I have a difficult reaching protein goal. I have recently added Special K protein plus cereal.....very tasty....and also Special K protein water mix. It gives me an additional 15 grams of protein a day. I lentils, beans, whole grain pasta, tofu, etc...but still hard to reach protein goal.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i am a vegetarian too and find it hard to get enough protein in. I am thinking of getting a protein powder though. I also eat eggs, greek yogurt, beans, and nuts
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm a vegan and I aim for 100 grams of protein a day, even though this is a bit lest than 30%. I hit it, or somewhere in the 90's most days, but it takes work.

I try to check protein after every meal. Otherwise it'll be the end of the day and it'll be too late.

Protein powder helps a bunch. I do maybe one a day or so. Just got some from truenutrition.com You can custom-blend your own, so I did 50% gemma pea, 20% rice, 30% soy for 25g of protein per 100 cal serving. When you add a flavor with stevia, it's bit too sweet for me. Next time i'll get it unsweetened and add a little sweetener on my own.

If I really need protein and have lots of cals in my budget, I'll make the shake with a cup of soymilk (9g), add 2 tbsp protein (8g) and sometimes chia seeds (9 g per 2 tbsp).

You can stir protein powder into oatmeal, too.

And I like to sprinkle 2 tbsp nuts on salads.

Seitan has a lot of protein, Field Roast is a great brand with no chemicals. I get it at Whole Foods.

I found as soon as I cut out dairy and eggs, I craved nuts. Now that I'm doing EM2WL, I can eat lots of nuts! And I love my peanut butter. It feels so nourishing. It also helps that the weights make me crave protein. Before, when I was only running, I just wanted carbs all the time.

GREAT protein breakfast:
    overnight oats

1/3 cup oats
    1 cup unsweetemed soy milk (or almond, but it will lower protein)
    1 scoop protein powder
    1.5 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 mashed banana
    pinch stevia (to taste)

Stir and refrigerate overnight. It is so good cold in the morning. I didn't think I'd like it, but in summer it is just the thing. And that has 44 grams of protein! That's nearly half a days worth.

Sometimes I do half a scoop of protein powder and top it with a tbsp of peanut butter in the morning if that's how I'm feeling.
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    Glad to see it's not just me struggling :)

Thanks for all your tips guys. I guess as long as I aim to get as much as possible and try to get some in every meal / snack then I'm on the right track. I usually have a few cals left at the end of the day so have started having an extra protein shake in the evening. I've started eating more nuts and will buy some seeds next time I'm at the shops.
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    I'm a vegan and I aim for 100 grams of protein a day, even though this is a bit lest than 30%. I hit it, or somewhere in the 90's most days, but it takes work.

I try to check protein after every meal. Otherwise it'll be the end of the day and it'll be too late.

Protein powder helps a bunch. I do maybe one a day or so. Just got some from truenutrition.com You can custom-blend your own, so I did 50% gemma pea, 20% rice, 30% soy for 25g of protein per 100 cal serving. When you add a flavor with stevia, it's bit too sweet for me. Next time i'll get it unsweetened and add a little sweetener on my own.

If I really need protein and have lots of cals in my budget, I'll make the shake with a cup of soymilk (9g), add 2 tbsp protein (8g) and sometimes chia seeds (9 g per 2 tbsp).

You can stir protein powder into oatmeal, too.

And I like to sprinkle 2 tbsp nuts on salads.

Seitan has a lot of protein, Field Roast is a great brand with no chemicals. I get it at Whole Foods.

I found as soon as I cut out dairy and eggs, I craved nuts. Now that I'm doing EM2WL, I can eat lots of nuts! And I love my peanut butter. It feels so nourishing. It also helps that the weights make me crave protein. Before, when I was only running, I just wanted carbs all the time.

GREAT protein breakfast:
    overnight oats

1/3 cup oats
    1 cup unsweetemed soy milk (or almond, but it will lower protein)
    1 scoop protein powder
    1.5 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 mashed banana
    pinch stevia (to taste)

Stir and refrigerate overnight. It is so good cold in the morning. I didn't think I'd like it, but in summer it is just the thing. And that has 44 grams of protein! That's nearly half a days worth.

Sometimes I do half a scoop of protein powder and top it with a tbsp of peanut butter in the morning if that's how I'm feeling.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely try this - I really like porridge but as the weather is warming up towards summer it just makes me too hot in the morning so I'll try your recipe for cold oatmeal. Plus I always have an early start so preparing it the night before and being able to take it out of the fridge ready to eat is a great idea :happy:
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    I made it for today without a banana, then added a drizzle of maple syrup in the morning... mmmmm

You can make it in a pint mason jar which makes it easy for grab-and-go in the morning.