Posting thoughts

Options
coldiron50
coldiron50 Posts: 23 Member
Hi everyone,
I thought it might be fun to post some things you have learned in the 2 months that the group has been formed. It can be about weight or even things you learned about yourself on this program. I like looking at all the changes that everyone is making for the better, and thought it might be fun to see it in one place for all to note, and perhaps take something useful for themselves. I know for me the one thing that I thought would do me in is giving up a lot of the sweets I enjoy. I love them, love making them, etc.
It has been a little difficult to swear them off so much, but..I was using them too often to cope with different emotions. I found that increasing my activity took away a lot of that desire. Just one small change. So I began looking at other small changes as well, like changing snacks to 200 cal or less, and closing the kitchen at 7:30 or so. Only fluid after that. Those small things got the ball rolling for the first 11 pounds off. The next 11 will be trickier no doubt, but if you all have other things to contribute please do!

Replies

• kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wish this discussion was a little more active, but I'm guilty myself of just sticking to my few friends on the forum. I live alone and it's hard to fix nice meals just for myself, but I've started taking pictures of my meals and snacks and arranging them on pretty plates and so on. Then I share them on my home site. It doesn't take much time to upload a picture and it makes me feel like I'm sitting down to a special meal. Also, I find that planning every morning and eating breakfast that's balanced is a good idea. Just some thoughts.
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I know my Positive thoughts are sticking with my Challenges that I have set for myself. I usually, as a Bad Habit always back down if I don't succeed the first try. This Website has been so positive for me. It keeps me from throwing in the towel if I fail on my Daily Goals. I have learned to keep plugging along and with the help of all of my MFP friends. They encourage me to keep going!!!
    Thanks!!!
    Shirlann
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    Positive thoughts also, this is a NSV, but I'm reframing some of my negative thoughts from my past and understanding more why things happened the way they did. I'm going on with my life and feel a lot better about myself and others. That way it does affect my diet because like many, I'm an emotional eater, and if I'm stressed or in a negative mood then my first thought is to go to the kitchen and open the fridge. Also, I'm easy on myself. I don't want to have to diet for the rest of my life and I'm 67 now, life's too short not to enjoy. I notice I'm more moderate in my eating if I'm more moderate in my daily living.
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    Someone suggested zig zag dieting, which is high calorie for a couple of days or a few, and then low carb especially and lower calories for another few days. It's supposed to kick up your metabolism. I've been trying it but it's too soon to see if it works. I've also been trying to load my calories in the morning rather than the evening, as I'm an evening snacker usually. Anyone else have any ideas? I want to plan in a pizza for next week, too, so am thinking of how to do that with the fewest casualties.
  • coldiron50
    Options
    There is a diet that is called The 17 day diet plan and it describes a little bit about keeping the body guessing by changing calories after 17 days at a time. It does work for most people, although I would guess early on the loss is water weight. BUT I tend to retain water so that is not a bad thing to shed. I, too, eat alone every night as my husband travels all week. I like the idea of treating yourself to a beautiful meal, as if you are the guest ! Perfect !
  • coldiron50
    Options
    Kenna, here is a lovely pizza recipe I have made, and it comes from a cookbook I got in Italy..Very light, and fresh if you are interested :) the most traditional recipe for pizza
    Pizza Margherita
    1 oz or 1 envelope dry yeast
    4 C. all-purpose flour..(whole wheat would work well I am sure, if you prefer)
    1 Lb. plum tomatoes, peeled and cut into thin wedges
    10 Oz. mozzarella cheese
    1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
    1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
    Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 C. warm water. heap the flour in a mound on a board,make a well in the center, and pour in the dissolved yeast. Add enough water to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic. Cover with a towel and let rise in a large bowl until doubled in volume.
    Press and stretch dough out in a circle 3/8 in thick on a floured board with fingertips..do not use a rolling pin. Flour a baking sheet and place the dough onto it. Cover the pizza base with the mozzarella slices, top with tomato, sprinkle with oregano, and drizze the oil over. Bake at 450 until the crust is lightly browned. Serves 4-6.
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    Wow, thank you for the pizza recipe, Coldiron. I think I'll try it. The pizza will be for my dear son, who can't eat tomatoes or anything acidic because he has stomach problems, so I'll simply replace the tomato slices with asparagus, I think, or something similar like canned artichokes and maybe pieces of ham. I like the idea of making my own crust.

I was taking photos of my little meals and posting them on my site here at MFP for a while but I got tired of taking pictures. Also I stopped making myself fancy little meals and want to go back to doing that again. I haven't lost any weight in a couple of weeks or more now and no inches lost. I know if I plan meals better I can do better. Thanks again. I'll definitely try that recipe. I have a recipe for gazpacho Spanish cold soup, too, I'm going to try this week. It takes a lot of vegetables and fruit I don't have on hand so shopping will be necessary. You make it in a food processor but I'm going to use my blender. If you'd like the recipe for chilled gazpacho soup I'll be happy to copy it out for you.
  • coldiron50
    Options
    I would love to see that recipe, I have a small vegetable garden and farmers market less than a mile away so this is my favorite season to try fresh recipes. I know my goal is to lose weight, and that has been a little slower than I hoped...BUT I feel better mentally and physically these days..so glad the highs and lows of overeating or eating badly are rare these days..the weight will eventually come off..:)
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    The pizza dough is rising as I write! I'm so excited because I bought a used apartment freezer for $80 and it's perfect for me. I'm going to freeze three pizza crusts. I cooked up a pound of range fed beef/pork hamburger and some mushrooms to put on my son's pizza as he can't eat tomatoes, and bought lots of shredded cheese. I'll sprinkle it with olive oil. Thanks so much for the recipe, ColdIron. I can hardly wait to taste it. I made enough dough for at least three or four pizza crusts. How cool is that?

Pineapple/watermelon Gazpacho
    Chilled Spanish fresh vegetable soup

Fat free, calorie free, gluten free, they say!

2 cup pineapple
    1/2 cup red pepper
    3 stalks celery
    1 - 2 cucumbers (seeded)
    2 cup watermelon
    1/2 cup red onion
    1/2 small mild jalapeno pepper (deseeded)
    1 toe chopped garlic
    1 c cilantro
    2 TBSP lemon juice
    4 TBSP lime juice
    3 TBSP raspberry vinegar
    1 20 oz can crushed tomatoes (Dei Fratelli brand is great, they say)
    chives for garnish

Place first 12 ingredients in food processor and pulse until chunky
    Add tomatoes, pulse
    Chill at least two hours before serving.

I haven't actually made this yet but plan to when I get all the ingredients. It sounds yummy, doesn't it?

Thanks again for the pizza recipe. Easy and authentic. I love it.

Have a great day, everyone over 60.
  • coldiron50
    Options
    This is an awesome recipe..I have most everything either in my herb garden or fridge so since we are due for 100+ temp today it sounds even better. Thanks so much!
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    I decided to put some spinach as well as tomatoes and mushrooms on one of the pizzas. I haven't been eating enough veg lately. Lucky you to have all the ingredients for that gazpacho in your garden or fridge, Coldiron. Wow, it's hot there! Was around 77 here today and we thought it was hot. 23 Celsius, whatever that is. 100+ temps would be California or Oklahoma or Texas or Florida, wouldn't it? Or maybe Arizona. My new hubby and I lived in Oklahoma City during the mid 1960s when we were first married and when we first went there it was 110 for ten days in a row. We didn't know enough to have air conditioning. Used to put a fan in our bedroom with a bucket of ice in front of it. It was hot but we were young and weather didn't affect me so much at that time. My main complaint now is the cold in the wintertime, and the dark.

Please let me know how the cold soup turns out. I must make it myself maybe next week when I get the ingredients. I think I could make it in my blender. I have a very small food processor.