body fat %

Options
mrs_dwr
mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
Today I measured and decided to enter the info into fat2fitradio's body fat % chart to see my progress. According to that, in the past month I've gone from 37.8% to 37%. (I know, really high still!) Is this a good rate or is it too slow/fast? Apparently I lost 2 lbs of fat (and my scale loss in the month is 2 pounds also); is this an accurate measuring tool? Is it true that I've only lost fat and no muscle, etc? Or do they just take the scale number and assume it was only fat? I'm just curious as to how the formula works. I'm also not sure if the number is accurate, because my hip measurement is still measuring pretty large, but a fair amount of it is due to the extra skin hanging out there from my twin pregnancy (they're just shy of 9 months old).

Replies

• mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I just changed my goal to TDEE for this week after reading about diet breaks (I've been at a deficit for 10 weeks now). If the % is too slow of progress, maybe taking the break and then going back to cut will help kickstart it? Anyone have any input/advice?
  • belladonnablue
    Options
    I'm really uncertain about the Fat2Fit body fat %. I've been inputting my numbers every couple weeks as I lose weight and inches, and according to the site, my body fat has dropped 4% in two months. Which would be great, but does not seem at all likely from comparing myself with other folks' numbers.

I do think dropping up to a percent or so in a month is feasible. Measuring body fat every week is apparently OK to do (as opposed to measurements, which seldom show a lot of movement in a week), so I would assume that it is possible to see a noticeable change from week to week.

I'm not sure of how the formula works, but I have read that, with strength training, you only lose 1 lb of muscle to 9 lbs of fat, for every 10 lbs you lose. So if you lost 2 lbs and are strength training, then only a very very small part of that lose will have been muscle. :)
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I dont trust theirs...at least in my specific case. I had my BF professionaly measured, and the tape measure trick did not even come close.

Mike