Advice on how many calories, please

Mistymath
Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
OK, I posted this in the intro topic, but I wanted to get some advice on calorie intake. Here are my stats:

Female
Current weight: 253.4
Height: 5'4 1/2"
TDEE: 2975
BMR: 1919

I started off at 1400 calories but quickly bumped up to 1900 after I started reading about BMR and TDEE. After about 2 weeks at 1400 and 3 weeks at 1900 (5 weeks total), I've lost just over 10 pounds.

Here's where I'm getting a little confused, I guess. I typically burn at least 400-500 calories each day from (cardio) exercise, and I usually don't eat those back. So I am netting around 1400 calories. If I'm understanding what I've been reading, I need to be at least netting my BMR, right? So after I subtract my exercise calories, I should be eating at least 1919? And ideally eating more than that?

Why does cardio exercise differ from weight training as far as calories you should eat back?

Sorry for the total noob questions, but I really think this is a good method for me and want to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way.

Replies

• wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Your 1919 BMR, if I understand it correctly, is what you need to breath and just be, not taking into account your activity. I put your stats into Scooby, as moderately active b/c I see you working out a bunch (3-5 hours a week). It says that if you did a 15% cut, you should be eating 2528 calories a day, or a 20% cut of 2380 calories a day. That being said, by using the cut numbers, you don't eat back your exercise calories and you should see your Net be around 1919...and if your net falls below 1919, you need to eat some more. Set your calories manually to 2538 or 2380 and keep your eye on your net, not eating back calories burned, to make sure you get to you BMR. If you notice a trend of having to eat back most of the time, then I assume you need to change your activity levels on Scooby.

I hope I'm understanding this right...anyone else chime in?