Working out 6 days a week?

I'm just starting my diet and workout routine. I still have a ton to learn but I'm now wondering if working out 6 days a week is too much. I'll do like cardio one day strength machines the next day and I'm planning to start lifting soon and will be rotating those. I'm going for 60 minutes each day and right now I'm working out at a slow pace because well I'm slow and weak right now lol. I want to lose 105 lbs I'm not in any rush to lose them, of course the sooner the better but I want to look good once I'm done I want to be toned up at the same time. I don't want to lose all the weight and then worry about toning my body.

I keep reading how important rest days are and right now I'm only giving my body one day to rest. And like I said I'm working out at a slow pace nothing mayor I feel good and energized when I leave not sore and achy. I just wanted to get different input and opinions as to what people here do or would think is best for me. I'm not against dropping one day a week or continue to go for 6 then slowing down.

If you think I should drop a day, should I rest two days in a row or should I separate them?

Thanks a bunch! I love all the help and advice that I get here.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    I workout at the gym usually 3 days a week. I do a lift and zumba class(which I know I really shouldn't on the same day because I am so tired after my lift, but I just don't have much time.) on one of the days together.

I think 3days of one hour lift session with 2 alternating days of 30 mins of HIIT is a good combo.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    When I first started I was working out daily.. burnt out (my mistake) and then went to 6 days a week. Just recently decided to go 3 days on and 1 day rest and repeat because I feel I should give my body more rest due to feeling fatigue and no energy what so ever. I say at least 1 or 2 days a week off.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I am doing 3 days cardio (Insanity) and 3 days lifting alternating. Rest one day
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    A lot of people do weights 3x/week. I tried it, but found I didn't have the energy by the 3rd one to hold correct form, so I dropped back down to two. I think as long as you feel strong enough that you are getting a proper workout, 3x/week is just fine. If you aren't feeling good about it, listen to your body and back down before burning out.

Now I typically do 2x weights, 2-3 times runs (long, tempo, HIIT). Outside of purposeful workouts, we sometimes take a family walk in the evenings or hit the pool.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    I usually have 3x a week lifting, 3x a week cardio/intervals. I usually have 1-2x a week of DOR (Day of rest). It depends on my body, since I do listen to my body. Last Saturday and Sunday I did not feel like doing my workout dvds, so I took bike for a ride and it was enjoyable that way. so like I said it depends. I make sure not to do 2 hours of cardio everyday like I used to in the past.. now I really enjoy doing lifting other than cardio (HIIT)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I tried to look at my exercise in the same way I did my food. Is this a program I can sustain long term or am I trying to do something for a short term result? I am more successful at continuing to do something when I know I can do it for the long haul. I started at 2 days a week, then slowly increased as I felt like I wanted to workout. I got up to 6 days a week by doing heavy lifting with upper body and back 3 days a week + HIIT cardio, plus 2 days a week of butt bible which is lifting for legs/butt/lower back, and one day of pilates (another strength type of class).

I finished butt bible after 6 weeks and was EXHAUSTED so I dropped back to 3 days a week of compound heavy lifting. I am just now adding 2-3 days of running back into my routine because I really missed working out 6 days a week. For me 6 days a week is something I can really do for the rest of my life. However I realized I couldn't sustain 6 days of essentially strength training work. I plan to take a full week rest every 8 weeks and then change up my routine to do different things.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I do workout six days a week, with one day of total and complete rest where I do nothing. No yoga, no pilates, no walks, nothing.
    It works for me.
    When I first started working out, I hated it and did as little as possible. However, its like MY TIME now, and I get so much stress relief from it, I cant imagine doing it less.
    I think its all about what works for you. Listen to your body, you know when you need a rest.
    Generally, you should also take a rest week every 6 weeks where you do yoga, pilates, walking, lighter cardio.
  • LaBori7
    LaBori7 Posts: 35
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even think of a rest week sounds good to me lol.
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    I was wondering how you lift weights for an hour? All the routines i have found, including the new rules, only take me 30 minutes. Should I do two rounds to last an hour?????
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Bump?
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    I was wondering how you lift weights for an hour? All the routines i have found, including the new rules, only take me 30 minutes. Should I do two rounds to last an hour?????

My weight routines last about 35 minutes, plus I warm up for 5, and then typically walk/run for 5-10 minutes after (if I am up for it - depends on how exhausted my muscles got), and then 5-10 minutes of stretching. When I log it in, it look like 50-60 minutes total because I don't separate out each component for logging, but the weights themselves are only 35 minutes.

ETA: I am currently following the Hard Body Workout from the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises - a great resource, btw, if you haven't ever looked at it, check it out from your library. It is full of pic on different exercises, explains which muscles they work, gives tips for proper form, and provides variation to increase or decrease difficulty.