How to have a deficit while still eating BMR?

chapparra27
chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
My BMR is 1680 and my workouts burn 600-900 daily. How do I eat back those calories and still have a deficit? Or is this way of thinking wrong? I feel like I am burning so much for nothing when I eat them back. Maybe I should just weight train and forget about the cardio.

Replies

• Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    You're starting at the wrong end of the spectrum here..:wink:

What you want to do is calculate your TDEE (maintenance calories) including your exercise. Use this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It will give you your tdee, your tdee cut (most use tdee - 15%), and your BMR.

Once you have all those numbers you need to decide if you are doing the full reset (eat at maintenance/tdee for 8 weeks) and then do your cut, or if you are going to start with tdee - 15% cut.

Once you've chosen your path, that is the number of calories you eat every day. (either your tdee or your tdee - 15%) You do not eat back exercise calories UNLESS, your burn drops your NET calories lower than y our BMR number from your scooby calculations. then you have to eat enough to get your Net back up over BMR.

Does that help?
  • chapparra27

What you want to do is calculate your TDEE (maintenance calories) including your exercise. Use this calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It will give you your tdee, your tdee cut (most use tdee - 15%), and your BMR.

Once you have all those numbers you need to decide if you are doing the full reset (eat at maintenance/tdee for 8 weeks) and then do your cut, or if you are going to start with tdee - 15% cut.

Once you've chosen your path, that is the number of calories you eat every day. (either your tdee or your tdee - 15%) You do not eat back exercise calories UNLESS, your burn drops your NET calories lower than y our BMR number from your scooby calculations. then you have to eat enough to get your Net back up over BMR.

Does that help?
    Yes this helps but that seems like a whole lot more food I have to eat :(
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Does that help?
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Chap: I've been doing this for a few weeks and have been gradually adding in more calories with healthy snacks and making larger breakfasts/lunches! ANDDDDDDDDDD I lost a pound in the last week! :smile:
  • Zylayna

Does that help?

yup...that's what we all said! :wink: you get used to it, but read through the http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience to prepare yourself mentally before starting. It's important that you know what you are getting into and why! :smile: It's worth it...you just have to be ready to commit.
  • chapparra27
    Scooby says my BMR is 1683 TDEE is 2608 and 15% cut is 2217! Really?
    I seriously don't do much during the day exept work out and I burn 600-900 cals during that time. SO eating 2200 cals seems insane.
  • chapparra27

Does that help?

yup...that's what we all said! :wink: you get used to it, but read through the http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience to prepare yourself mentally before starting. It's important that you know what you are getting into and why! :smile: It's worth it...you just have to be ready to commit.
    How do you eat like that and stay at or under your sodium,fat,sugars? I eat one piece of fruit and I am over on sugars it seems like.
  • Zylayna

Does that help?

How do you eat like that and stay at or under your sodium,fat,sugars? I eat one piece of fruit and I am over on sugars it seems like.

I gave up on sugars...couldn't keep those under no matter how hard I tried (and I'm technically one who prefers salty to sugary!) If most of your sugar comes from fruit, don't worry too much about it. If you find that you are getting a lot of other sugar, then just try to curb what you can.

In regards to sodium, that's a tough one to keep around 2500 as your calories go up, but it is possible. Some days now I'm under by 500 or more, other days I go over by 1000! (rare now though), but most days I'm close around the 2500 (+/-) Avoiding packaged foods as much as possible is the biggest key. (think one-ingredient food choices) Check your labels and plan your day out ahead with sodium in mind just as much as your fats, proteins and carbs. After a while you get to know what stuff is higher and how you can counteract that with other things throughout the day. It's a learning process...one day at a time.

In regards to fats...I'm not sure I can help you much on that because I'm learning how to get ENOUGH in my diet after years of choosing foods without fat...I still can't quite hit my fat macro regularly...:grumble:
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    OK, so I ran my numbers through scooby too. I told it how much I exercise (5-6 hrs of strenuous) and I chose the 20% cut.
    Here's what I got:

BMR 1866
    TDEE 3220
    Daily cals 2576

So I should eat the daily cals on days I do all that exercise...but should I run the numbers to see what I should eat on days I don't exercise and then add my cals burned and eat them back each day according to what my HRM and fitbit says I burned so as not to go over ont he days I slack on cardio etc?

My numbers for "desk job, little exercise" and 20% cut are

BMR 1866
    TDEE 2240
    daily 1792 (so should I just do this one + what I burn that day??)

I am so confused. I have been using 1700 as my goal and then I try and eat my cals back that I burn.
    So If I eat 1792 and burn 600 then I would need to eat a total of 2,392 to net my full 1792 correct? that would make me even steven right? or am I still confused lol
  • Zylayna
    OK, so I ran my numbers through scooby too. I told it how much I exercise (5-6 hrs of strenuous) and I chose the 20% cut.
    Here's what I got:

BMR 1866
    TDEE 3220
    Daily cals 2576

So I should eat the daily cals on days I do all that exercise...but should I run the numbers to see what I should eat on days I don't exercise and then add my cals burned and eat them back each day according to what my HRM and fitbit says I burned so as not to go over ont he days I slack on cardio etc?

BMR 1866
    TDEE 2240

I am so confused. I have been using 1700 as my goal and then I try and eat my cals back that I burn.
    So If I eat 1792 and burn 600 then I would need to eat a total of 2,392 to net my full 1792 correct? that would make me even steven right? or am I still confused lol

First thing, make sure you run your numbers using a 15% cut (not 20%). 20% is too high of a deficit for the plan we recommend. Once you have that cut number, just eat that amount everyday, on exercise and non-exercise days. Make sure you exercise as planned when you figured out your numbers. The cut number is based on a weekly averaged tdee so it incorporates your rest and exercise days.

The only time you need to eat back exercise cals is if you have a very high burn day that causes you to NET below your BMR. Then eat back enough calories to get you back over that number again.
  • kodom_123
    Here's what I got:

BMR 1866
    TDEE 3220
    Daily cals 2576

BMR 1866
    TDEE 2240

First thing, make sure you run your numbers using a 15% cut (not 20%). 20% is too high of a deficit for the plan we recommend. Once you have that cut number, just eat that amount everyday, on exercise and non-exercise days. Make sure you exercise as planned when you figured out your numbers. The cut number is based on a weekly averaged tdee so it incorporates your rest and exercise days.

The only time you need to eat back exercise cals is if you have a very high burn day that causes you to NET below your BMR. Then eat back enough calories to get you back over that number again.

Ok...so here are the numbers.

2737..... OMG!! That's A LOT of calories to eat lol :P

So you are saying I should just eat those everyday and not worry about logging my exercise at all. There are days that I don't feel well or down and I don't work out to the same intensity as I normally do. I try to change it upwhen I get bored too and may do only 1 hour that day of walking/jogging around my neighborhood or just do 45 minutes of kettleworx stuff. I just try and listen to my body and go day by day. So I am afraid if I eat this many counting on working out and then something happens and I don't get to work out as many days as projected what then??

If I ate 2737 and burned 700 cals ( my average burn is anywhere from 600-900 depending what fitbit adjusts through the day) that gives me a net of around 2037 correct? that still seams like a lot!!

Fit bit takes into account all my activity since March 8th and has formulated a projected amount of calories burned. It also tells me how many actual calories i have burned as the day goes on...some days it is over 3000 (it takes into account BMR also) Then like today it says projected cals burned is 2499 (I haven't been to the gym yet..when I work out it will up it by a lot) So then it cuts my defficit for me and tells me how much more i can eat through the day. right now it is saying my projected intake should be 1499 because I still have it set for a 1000 cal defficit.

but on the days I work out I guess fitbit is saying I am burning around 3100 cals so -500 instead of -1000 makes it about 2600...almost on track with scooby. sigh...this goes against everything ever taught to me hahaha.
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88

You are right, though, that you can drop some/all of cardio and do weights and that will cut down your burn. You won't have to eat so much. :-)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Fit bit takes into account all my activity since March 8th and has formulated a projected amount of calories burned. It also tells me how many actual calories i have burned as the day goes on...some days it is over 3000 (it takes into account BMR also) Then like today it says projected cals burned is 2499 (I haven't been to the gym yet..when I work out it will up it by a lot) So then it cuts my defficit for me and tells me how much more i can eat through the day. right now it is saying my projected intake should be 1499 because I still have it set for a 1000 cal defficit.

If you have a fitbit, that is more accurate than any website will give you. Find out what your fitbit is saying your average calories needed for each day is. So if your average burn is say 2500 cals, THAT number is your TDEE and what you need to eat daily just to maintain your current weight. In order to see weight loss, you take that same number and cut 15% off. THAT is the number you eat daily to lose a reasonable amount of weight safely, and still fuel your body.

Get rid of the 1000 calorie deficit. That is Waaaaaayyyyy too low. That is cutting more than 30% of your calories. Your body is revolting back by not losing because you are essentially starving it. It NEEDs so many calories a day just to be alive. That number is your BMR. You NEVER want to eat below that number.. No. Matter. What.

Yes, the calorie upping is a huge shock, especially if you are so restricted on your calories currently. I was eating 1400 cals a day about 12 weeks ago.. I now eat 2800 cals a day (TDEE) while I reset my metabolism. In the first few days it was damn hard to figure out how to eat even 400 extra cals, let alone 1400 more. SO I increased slowly over 6 weeks. Looking back, I should have just jumped right in.
    it can be done. You just have to stop eating the "diet" foods.. eat high cal, low density foods like Nuts, Protein powders, avacado, oils.. etc REAL cheese and regular salad dressings. You will be surprised how fast you can eat those cals again:)
  • kodom_123

If you have a fitbit, that is more accurate than any website will give you. Find out what your fitbit is saying your average calories needed for each day is. So if your average burn is say 2500 cals, THAT number is your TDEE and what you need to eat daily just to maintain your current weight. In order to see weight loss, you take that same number and cut 15% off. THAT is the number you eat daily to lose a reasonable amount of weight safely, and still fuel your body.

Get rid of the 1000 calorie deficit. That is Waaaaaayyyyy too low. That is cutting more than 30% of your calories. Your body is revolting back by not losing because you are essentially starving it. It NEEDs so many calories a day just to be alive. That number is your BMR. You NEVER want to eat below that number.. No. Matter. What.

Yes, the calorie upping is a huge shock, especially if you are so restricted on your calories currently. I was eating 1400 cals a day about 12 weeks ago.. I now eat 2800 cals a day (TDEE) while I reset my metabolism. In the first few days it was damn hard to figure out how to eat even 400 extra cals, let alone 1400 more. SO I increased slowly over 6 weeks. Looking back, I should have just jumped right in.
    it can be done. You just have to stop eating the "diet" foods.. eat high cal, low density foods like Nuts, Protein powders, avacado, oils.. etc REAL cheese and regular salad dressings. You will be surprised how fast you can eat those cals again:)

Thanks! This makes sense. I will go change my deficit on fitbit to a more realistic one. :) I will keep at it, thanks for all the input.