Tips for running in hot weather?

Options
I've been running for about two months and am doing quite well. However, the heat is tough. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for running seeing as how summer is upon us. Any advice is welcome.

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I freeze water bottles and either take them with me or drop them strategically around my route.

Run early in the morning or late in the evening - this helps me avoid the super hot times.

Avoid running in super hot, super humid weather .

There were times when it was so hot and humid out that I ended up getting dizzy (a sign of heat exhaustion) and had to run from shady spot to shady spot with a resting in between. Nothing wrong with slowing it down and even walking. My safety is more important than getting those miles in for the day.

Wear special clothing that will wick away sweat and moisture.

Drink lots of water.

I'm sure others have some great tips and tricks for you.

Good luck in your runs!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If it's 90+, I do not run, period... I'm not good in the heat AT ALL and heatstroke is nothing to mess around with.
    If it's really that hot, running on a treadmill in the AC controlled gym is perfectly acceptable :)
    Otherwise if it's 75-80-something, I make sure I have a route in the shade and I'm not trying to push myself in terms of speed.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I'm very interested in hearing advice for this as well. Today was very humid and I lost 5 lbs on my run and had a weird headache (felt like brain freeze but I wasn't drinking or eating anything!)
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I live in an area with most summer days averaging 100+. The major things I've read online are stay hydrated, run in the early morning or late evening, and increase walking breaks. I used to be easily affected by heatstroke/heat exhaustion when I was little, so I've been playing it safe and using the indoor track at the YMCA. Good luck! Extreme heat definitely isn't anything to mess around with.
  • SL22268
    SL22268 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am and run - I hate the heat and the sun, so this is what works for me, lol :)
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I agree that 90 degrees is definitely TOO hot to be outside running! Do any of you have any recommendations for a cut-off point for humidity?