New & Facing Difficulties

Options
Hello Everyone!

I just joined this group today. I have been on and off of myfitnesspal for the past 3 years. I try an exercise 5 times a week at least but sometimes with working full time and everything else that occurs, I find it hard to motivate myself to work out. Also, at my job we are fed really unhealthy food, that of course tastes great so I choose to eat it over the salad I brought.

I really need some help and ideas to motivate myself to eat healthier, to not eat when I am just bored, and to go to the gym for at least an hour 5 times a week.

Please help with some suggestions!! Thanks!!

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    What are your goals for working out? Since you joined the "Not That Heavy Girl" group I assume you do not have a lot to lose.

Working out has just become automatic for me, like its not an option. I just do it. I feel "off" on the days when I don't work out.

What do you like to do to work out? Do things outside? Play sports? Or just a gym rat?
  • Cass_Sid
    Cass_Sid Posts: 3
    Options
    I'd like to lose at least 10lbs ... preferably 20lbs. I want to get really defined and toned.
    I love working out and actually play tennis for my college team where we have 2 hour work outs a day. My down fall is FOOD! I can't stop eating and if i skip a couple days at the gym and I eat like I always do I can put on a pound or two. I am really busy this summer so it's harder to fit 2 hours of work out in.

My goals are to eat healthier ... and a lot less. This is hard to do when I LOVEEEE ice cream and chocolate! Also, I'd like to spend an hour at the gym and make it equal 1 1/2 hours.

I just need some ideas to resist my temptations of junk and to motivate myself to go to the gym even after an exhausting day at work!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    only you know what motivates you! I have a lot of temptation at work and I found that the best way was to start off with a good breakfast. If I got a great start to the day I was less inclined to grab the donut, ice cream, etc.
    also, logging everything helps. Know what your TDEE is (basically maintenance, http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) and that way, if you are logging you can sort of see if the treat you want will fit into your plan for the day.
    We only have a limited amount of self control, but it's like a muscle and once you start using it, it gets easier and you can start applying it to other areas, like working out. For me, it was small challenges, short-term, and I would reward myself for sticking with it, whatever it was. I did 30 day shred every day for 30 days. It's only 30 minutes and I said, I can make 30 minutes each day for this.
    Try one, then the other. It is really hard for me to be really disciplined on nutrition AND working out. It seems like if I am working out hard, I reward myself by eating what I want, or if I am being really strict about my food, I slack in the gym. So I am still trying to pull it all together. good luck!
  • deedlit90
    deedlit90 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree that saying no is like a muscle! You can work it out until it becomes a reflex action! At work people offer me stuff all the time (chocolate, cakes, muffins etc etc!) and I have just learned to say no. On a Friday everyone goes to the canteen at work for a cooked breakfast and I sit with them but don't eat it. It took a while for me to get to that level, and I do indulge with them sometimes, just not every time. The thing is, eating bad only takes a few minutes. If you can resist then everyone around you will finish their 'bad' thing and then it's gone and then you don't have to worry about it anymore!

When I go to breakfast with everyone on a Friday I take a drink with me so that I am not just sitting there staring at everyone's food with nothing myself. I also make sure I eat a good breakfast at home that day before I come to work. And then I talk to them all and engage in conversation and don't even think about them eating. After about 10 mins they have all eaten and we chat a bit more and then go up to our desks, and then it's done and they've all eaten about 1000 cals and I've been really good and had what I planned that morning. I always have snacks on me as well so IF I do feel hungry when I get back to my desk I can have a nice snack.

Basically I just plan my way through it with the breakfast, and with other treats I just say no. You will find that you CAN do it, you just have to work on it. And I also find it's the people that offer me stuff all the time that then say 'how do you stay slim', or 'aren't you lucky with that figure' and I think it's NOT luck, stop eating all the stuff you're offering me and maybe you would be slimmer! But I don't say that to them of course, I just smile and say thanks!
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    i agree with the previous posts. exercise that NO :noway: muscle. if u have to, WALK AWAY :smokin: when they bring that YUMMY(:tongue: ) bad food to you, but sometimes and make it ONLY sometimes, enjoy. and then bust your butt when u go to the gym.

i suggest that you hold yourself accountable by really being ticked off at yourself if u don't workout. try to make sure that u get the workout in and MAKE IT COUNT by pushing yourself when u are there. i don't go to the gym. i workout at home. u could do it as soon as u wake up. just get a workout video, pop it in, and DO IT!!! i know u can do! cuz if i can, u can.

like the previous poster said--make smaller goals like getting a 30 min video and eventually u will move up to more. 2 hours is alot if u do have to do it like when u are in school. just push ur self! u can do it!!!
  • shrednyc85
    shrednyc85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Food has always been my downfall as well - I can exercise and have that aspect nailed down, but then I eat crap. Since joining MFP I am trying to eat much smaller portions.

For instance, today I had a work lunch at a restaraunt serving family style so didnt have the option of just ordering salad. I had chicken parm/pasta - but I ate half or less of everything I was served. I cut down what could have been a 1500 calorie lunch to maybe 600 calories. Thats normally more calories than I eat for lunch, but better than pigging out.

Good luck!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I enjoy sweets like ice cream and chocolate too.
    I realized that I eat sweets way too fast, I never really enjoyed anything past the first 2 bites.

I know that eating the 2 cookie serving size sounds ridiculous but so does eating 1/3 of the package when you don't really enjoy it.
  • Cass_Sid
    Cass_Sid Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice and help!!

I will definitely try your suggestions and see if that helps!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    All of these ladies have made some great suggestions. I too get presented with many delicious treats at work that often do sound more appealing than my salad in the fridge. Also as a former athlete myself I relate to having a huge appetite. Two things that help:

#1 Make sure it's a salad you really want to eat! Eat healthy, but don't force yourself to eat foods you don't really like just because they are low calorie. When your packed lunch is something you really want, it will be easier to say no to the free food.

#2 Calculate calories BEFORE you eat. When I don't have time to pack a lunch, I do a little math before I head down to our corporate cafe and figure out what portion of the unhealthy food I can eat without going way over. I also ask the chef to make calorie saving adjustments like swapping bread for lettuce. The other day when pulled pork sandwiches were on the menu I just asked for spinach instead of a bun, saved myself about 200 cals and had a still got to eat a yummy meal. The chef is always happy to make those simple switches because it doesn't really require him any extra work. You can use the technique at restaurants too. If you are worried that the waiter will say 'no' it won't hurt to tell a little fib- just say you have a gluten intolerance or are allergic. I've found that since I don't really appear overweight people act like I'm crazy when I say I don't want to eat bread, so it's just easier to lie rather than have to explain myself and have them attack me for wanting to look just a little better in a bikini this summer.